Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 10:37 am

I don't know but I feel like for a time I had some skills under my belt and could control my obsessions. But, now, I do not want to do ANYTHING at home after work. I just come home and start playing video games. This means I have been neglecting the care of the house, the laundry, taking my medicines, getting enough sleep and so on. But, at work, I don't want to think about work and then when I am at home I just want to focus on my games. This is very problematic. I have a husband, a son, a house and work. Plus, I am supposed to be exercising because I got homework from my physical therapist. My husband wonders and says stuff like you used to do things around the house. Now, you just sit around. It's true. I don't do a THING now. Maybe it's depression but I take meds for that and nothing has really changed otherwise. I don't feel down. So, I don't know how to get out of this cycle. I just want to play games and nothing else.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:43 am

Two explanations I can come up with:

1) Stress levels over a period of time.

or

2) A period of stress sent you over the edge about playing the game, and now you have become addicted, which adds to stress levels, which creates a vicious cycle.

Or a little bit of both.

Is there a chance you could see a therapist? This is damaging for all of you, but your son in particular. Just guilting you into ditching the games might not be enough. You need some healthy stress relief. You have a lot on your plate.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

underwater wrote:
Two explanations I can come up with:

1) Stress levels over a period of time.

or

2) A period of stress sent you over the edge about playing the game, and now you have become addicted, which adds to stress levels, which creates a vicious cycle.

Or a little bit of both.

Is there a chance you could see a therapist? This is damaging for all of you, but your son in particular. Just guilting you into ditching the games might not be enough. You need some healthy stress relief. You have a lot on your plate.

Well, yes there have been some changes. I moved to a house from the place I had lived in for almost 10 years. I still wish I was back at my old apartment (we were renting then and now we bought a townhouse). My commute is longer now (before I lived a block away from work) and now we live several miles away from work. This has forced me to change how I drive, how I schedule appointments, how I pick up my son, everything. I got to know the faces in my old neighbourhood and while we did not speak I "knew" them. Now, all the faces are strange and different. My son is older now and his needs have changed. So before when he was a baby he had a pretty set routine now his routine is more flexible and I am not dealing with that very well. He is also very chatty. Which is fine normally but during the work week when I am at the end of my rope from work his chatter starts to annoy me in the evenings. I have had a health scare that is still on-going for a few months now but the tests seem to be winding down.

I haven't seen my psychologist for almost a year and a half now. He fell ill and then took a sabbatical. I was seeing him once a month. I thought I was okay I guess. But, maybe I am not. I don't know.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult