Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 1:19 pm

I think we forget just how much of the so-called white American culture of independence and self-reliance merged with democratic institutions comes not from Europe, but from the Native American people whose governance methods we absorbed as we displaced them, along with certain values.

Additionally, as we have gotten onto the topic of simplifying cultures, I think I understand why our society has long favored images of Plains Indians over all others. Yes, the headdresses look cool and distinctive, and who doesn't love a soft outfit made of buckskins. But, I currently think that the Northeast and Northwest like to use these images over images representing the actual tribes who lived in their area, because the Plains Indians had gone through a massive cultural shift. White people pushing west had displaced other tribes like ball bearings in a tube, and had pushed the Comanche (for example) from their previous home near the Great Lakes far south into the Great Plains. As a result, the complex interconnected societies of the Algonquin (for example) had not developed. The environment in the SW probably suits a nomadic lifestyle better, anyway.

Focusing on the Plains Indians and forgetting about the huge and well-organized networks of tribes in the northeastern US and along the entire West Coast makes it easier to think of Indians as savages. I don't mean to impugn the Plains Indians, by any means, but the coastal tribes had a lot more recognizable trappings of advanced societies, and I think white people in the US would like to forget about destroying them.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:47 am

I'm white but I'm going to act like me, regardless of whether someone thinks it is/ whether it seems white, black, Hispanic, East Indian, Native American, Middle Eastern, Asian, Iranian, Sri Lankan, mixed, extraterrestrial, or whatever. I don't try to act any particular race, or not act any particular race. I do imitate particular people I admire though.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

I've heard banana, egg and coconut before, but coconut was about people from countries like India who act too white.

I've only heard potato used as derogatory slang for whites, which makes so much sense because apparently I'm brown on the outside and light yellow on the inside. :roll: They should at least get their color understanding straight before they decide to make up slurs :lol: I've also heard proper Norwegian called potato Norwegian by immigrants' kids who have lived here all their lives yet speak with strong accents; not because they can't speak proper Norwegian but because it's not okay in their sub culture. I've even heard Norwegians from certain areas talk like that to fit in.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

Wow someone actually took the time to come up with all those stupid things, only one I've heard before is oreo, but I thought it was a slur towards mixed race people who are both white/caucasian and black. But yeah that idea that you have to act a specific way or you're being too much of another race is pretty stupid.

I know a while back on another forum that's not around anymore I talked to some other metalheads pretty often...a couple of them are black and said sometimes their family pressured them not to listen to 'white people' music like metal, but they didn't listen because you know what metal is for everyone actually. But yeah how do you act your race...? I don't think race is really what determines personality traits, also it seems like a rather xenophobic attitude.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm

I do act like my own race.

I'm lame, I have no rhythm, and I can't dance.

I'm so white, once, when I was out in public, some random lady came up and asked me if I was "one of those albinos." No joke.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I think we forget just how much of the so-called white American culture of independence and self-reliance merged with democratic institutions comes not from Europe, but from the Native American people whose governance methods we absorbed as we displaced them, along with certain values.

This is news to me. Care to elaborate?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

Paradoxically, we both idolized and abhorred the Native American culture in the 19th century.

We were influenced both by Native American and European culture.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 9:52 pm

I believe in multiculturalism and I believe that everybody should just get along.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 11:58 pm

I just don't understand why the idea of 'race' survived so long. In the eighties people were more progressive. When you're European, the idea of some common 'white' culture is absurd. Also, most of the black people I know are from various African countries, with different languages, cultures and customs. Just as with Europe there are regional similarities and differences. I know people from Western and Eastern Africa. They are all black muslims, but with very different traditions. Why would anyone expect them to have a commmon culture?

I saw the strangest article in The Guardian yesterday, 'Shedding my whiteness is a work in progress'
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... n-progress

This young woman has people debating whether she's black or Irish. She grew up in Ireland, within an Irish family. She never says where her black father was from, as if he has no nationality. What's wrong with being for example Irish-Nigerian, or Irish-Gambian?

And, yeah, I get that she's been discriminated against, and that her family might stick up for her more. Who on WP doesn't know how that feels? I just don't understand why you have to be one or the other when clearly you are a little bit of both?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Sep 2017, 12:10 pm

People should be free to be whoever they want to be, and to enjoy whatever aspects of different cultures they like, and not be fitted into specific racial categories. I come from an extremely multiracial and multi-cultural country where the Constitution allows complete freedom of association. There are many who don't fit into the boxes some in society would like to build for them.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

underwater wrote:
I just don't understand why the idea of 'race' survived so long. In the eighties people were more progressive. When you're European, the idea of some common 'white' culture is absurd. Also, most of the black people I know are from various African countries, with different languages, cultures and customs. Just as with Europe there are regional similarities and differences. I know people from Western and Eastern Africa. They are all black muslims, but with very different traditions. Why would anyone expect them to have a commmon culture?

I saw the strangest article in The Guardian yesterday, 'Shedding my whiteness is a work in progress'
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... n-progress

This young woman has people debating whether she's black or Irish. She grew up in Ireland, within an Irish family. She never says where her black father was from, as if he has no nationality. What's wrong with being for example Irish-Nigerian, or Irish-Gambian?

And, yeah, I get that she's been discriminated against, and that her family might stick up for her more. Who on WP doesn't know how that feels? I just don't understand why you have to be one or the other when clearly you are a little bit of both?

I got the sense that much of her Irish family wanted to deny her blackness, not integrate it with her Irishness. I think everyone here can relate to the pain of some random stranger making uninformed or insulting remarks based on some physical characteristic. No one likes to be understood in a false and simplistic way, especially if that way has known negative implications.

It seemed to me like she felt like she had to lose her whiteness in the eyes of her family for them to understand her situation, and also to dispel the racist idea that "real Irish" are exclusively white.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:30 pm

I hate people who assume every race has a certain "way" of acting. Even more jarring is this stream of thought has gained traction on the LEFT. I've seen black people who are not left-wing extremists get called "Uncle Toms" by these people, and it disgusts me.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

I'm starting to wonder how many people on the left will only act tough to manipulate other people on the left, but won't come out and fight back against neo-nazis. It's taking an awful easy way out.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 8:49 pm

"Why Don't I Act Like My Own Race?"

Ummmm, you mean like, ... * gasp * ... Human?
Well, if you must know,
it's because
acting like non-Human races in
the Star Trek realm is far more enjoyable. :)

And IDIC, according to Vulcan philosophy, means
"Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." 8)

Last edited by the_phoenix on 17 Sep 2017, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

For that matter, serious people on the right should also push back against neo-nazis. It seems like a place where reasonable people might agree.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

Oh my puking f*****g God. How the f**k, exactly, does A RACE act?!?!

"Act like your race." That is, by definition, racist and bigoted and disgusting. It is an assumption that the color of your skin and the slant of your eyes should determine the character of the person within. It's f*****g DISGUSTING.

For that matter, "act like your ethnicity" or "act like your class." f**k me sideways 'til I cry.

So what's that mean?? I shouldn't have a college education, or I'm not Appalachian any more?? I shouldn't talk hillbilly, or I'm not a professional's wife??

YEAH f**k THAT s**t.