Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

Oh my puking f*****g God. How the f**k, exactly, does A RACE act?!?!

"Act like your race." That is, by definition, racist and bigoted and disgusting. It is an assumption that the color of your skin and the slant of your eyes should determine the character of the person within. It's f*****g DISGUSTING.

For that matter, "act like your ethnicity" or "act like your class." f**k me sideways 'til I cry.

So what's that mean?? I shouldn't have a college education, or I'm not Appalachian any more?? I shouldn't talk hillbilly, or I'm not a professional's wife??

YEAH f**k THAT s**t.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:32 pm

I never understand the hispanic term as used by Americans.

Although I understand how someone can reach a racial stereotype, it's really lame to treat it like a universal truth and criticize the ones who don't conform.

I would like to have a more clear view on where I belong on this ethnics separation, and has this sense of community within similar people. Anyway, I'm not sure if this broad terms provide it.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:37 pm

I hear you, BuyerBeware.

I'm going to act like me.
I don't care what race that allegedly is.
And I don't care what other people might think that race is.

BTW ... having dark hair,
speaking various languages,
and dressing in various ethnic outfits ...
I've been mistaken for other races/ethnicities.
I've considered that an honor. 8)

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:50 pm

sometimes I wonder if I'm racist or a bad person because I would like to be more clearly from a certain race. my ex-bf was estonian and it was so cool that he looked so clearly like the people from his country. i have a very generic look that doesn't fit much in my home-country stereotype but isn't exotic here neither also it doesn't fit in any place in specific. i guess it's nice because i can blend in almost every place i've been (which is only south america and europe) but not very nice because i wanted to look like something.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 12:09 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
underwater wrote:
I just don't understand why the idea of 'race' survived so long. In the eighties people were more progressive. When you're European, the idea of some common 'white' culture is absurd. Also, most of the black people I know are from various African countries, with different languages, cultures and customs. Just as with Europe there are regional similarities and differences. I know people from Western and Eastern Africa. They are all black muslims, but with very different traditions. Why would anyone expect them to have a commmon culture?

I saw the strangest article in The Guardian yesterday, 'Shedding my whiteness is a work in progress'
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... n-progress

This young woman has people debating whether she's black or Irish. She grew up in Ireland, within an Irish family. She never says where her black father was from, as if he has no nationality. What's wrong with being for example Irish-Nigerian, or Irish-Gambian?

And, yeah, I get that she's been discriminated against, and that her family might stick up for her more. Who on WP doesn't know how that feels? I just don't understand why you have to be one or the other when clearly you are a little bit of both?

I got the sense that much of her Irish family wanted to deny her blackness, not integrate it with her Irishness. I think everyone here can relate to the pain of some random stranger making uninformed or insulting remarks based on some physical characteristic. No one likes to be understood in a false and simplistic way, especially if that way has known negative implications.

It seemed to me like she felt like she had to lose her whiteness in the eyes of her family for them to understand her situation, and also to dispel the racist idea that "real Irish" are exclusively white.

All right. They way I understood the article was that she agreed with the racists that if she was black, she couldn't be Irish, so she'd decided not to be Irish. I thought it would be very difficult to have any sort of cultural identity at all if she were to remove her family and her upbringing from that equation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 5:05 am

The lady is Irish.....whether she likes it or not.

If it was found that I had recent African lineage (we all, actually, have at least distant ancestors from the African continent), I'd have to accept it.

I wouldn't go,out of my way to "act African," though. Logically, there is no such thing. People of the Yoruba tribe in Nigeria certainly don't act like Coptic people from Ethiopia. Both have dark skin.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2017, 5:39 am

LonelyJar wrote:
It has come to my attention that a good number of seemingly innocuous terms are rather specific ethnic slurs:

apple - Native American who "acts too Caucasian"
banana/Twinkie - (South-)East Asian who "acts too Caucasian"
coconut/potato - Hispanic or South Asian who "acts too Caucasian"
egg - Caucasian who "acts too (South-)East Asian"
Oreo - black person who "acts too Caucasian"
reverse Oreo - Caucasian who "acts too black"

I belive everybody should act according its racial nature. Race does matter

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 10:16 am

HughDYork wrote:
LonelyJar wrote:
It has come to my attention that a good number of seemingly innocuous terms are rather specific ethnic slurs:

apple - Native American who "acts too Caucasian"
banana/Twinkie - (South-)East Asian who "acts too Caucasian"
coconut/potato - Hispanic or South Asian who "acts too Caucasian"
egg - Caucasian who "acts too (South-)East Asian"
Oreo - black person who "acts too Caucasian"
reverse Oreo - Caucasian who "acts too black"

I belive everybody should act according its racial nature. Race does matter

What should bi-racial people do in that case? Do they have two of your "racial natures," or does one dominate and subsume the other, or do they have a third "racial nature" unique to their mix.

Biologically, the idea of race has only a very limited meaning. People have totally amoral genetic predisposition to favor their own descendants. This extends to people who look and act like them to some extent. AFAIK, for Evolutionary Biologists, something that resembles race gets defined only from specific perspectives, but relates more to a drive to promote similar genes than what we'd call race.

So, on a practical level, if people might start following those genetic drives without ethical intermediation, then it behooves a person to appear related to that group. The simplest way to increase the amount of resources available to people with your genes is to kill or drive out people with different genes. How similar or how different will depend on the circumstances, and not any fixed rule. In this case, it behooves people to act like that group and not get killed or driven out of their homes.

If people aren't acting on the basis of unmediated amoral genetic drives, then the best adaptive strategy is to do what works, regardless of whether it fits anyone's preconceptions.

So the question is, Hugh, do you intend to mediate your genetic impulses with ethics, or not?

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2017, 10:38 am

quote -So the question is, Hugh, do you intend to mediate your genetic impulses with ethics, or not.

Definately.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 10:46 am

HughDYork wrote:
quote -So the question is, Hugh, do you intend to mediate your genetic impulses with ethics, or not.

Definately.

Can you be a little more specific? There are lots of kinds of ethics, after all.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2017, 10:59 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

Definately.

Can you be a little more specific? There are lots of kinds of ethics, after all.

what appeals to each individual - namely. that every individual has his own genetic predisposition - also appeals to whole race it also has its own genetic predisposition end each of us inherits his own racial character that determines individual behavior and incllinations

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:02 am

HughDYork wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

Definately.

what appeals to each individual - namely. that every individual has his own genetic predisposition - also appeals to whole race it also has its own genetic predisposition end each of us inherits his own racial character that determines individual behavior and incllinations

So, can you look at a person and tell from that how they will act?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2017, 11:12 am

It shouldn't matter if a black girl loves classical violin and wants to join a symphony orchestra, or a white guy wants to do rap / hip hop or Rasta. They shouldn't be criticised for their choices. Individuals have the choice what they find attractive from the multitude of cultural choices before them.

Culture is not the preserve of any particular group because all types of people live all over the world today and so various eclectic styles have evolved which are a result of mixed origins.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

Condoleeza Rice is black, and is a classical pianist.

Vanilla Ice is white, and was a rapper.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 11:30 am

envirozentinel wrote:
It shouldn't matter if a black girl loves classical violin and wants to join a symphony orchestra, or a white guy wants to do rap / hip hop or Rasta. They shouldn't be criticised for their choices. Individuals have the choice what they find attractive from the multitude of cultural choices before them.

Culture is not the preserve of any particular group because all types of people live all over the world today and so various eclectic styles have evolved which are a result of mixed origins.

This ties into what I was saying about the eighties - it seems to me that when I watch films and music videos from that era, there was less stereotyping and more freedom of expression. It gets tiresome watching film and tv where all the couples have the same skin color, when real life isn't like that.

Also, this cultural straitjacket demeans everybody, and real musicians steal from other traditions all the time. There are people who criticize Picasso for being influenced by African sculpture, and, quite frankly, those people should quit bitching and create some art themselves. I'd rather have African sculptors being inspired by French patisserie than listen to the complaining. It would certainly be more interesting!

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2017, 11:30 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
HughDYork wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

Definately.

So, can you look at a person and tell from that how they will act?

I probably will be able to notice an outline of Person's modus operandi.

BTW

The idea that there is some inherited force beyond our empirical perception, that controls our actions our thoughts, finds its refined philosophical explanation in philosophy of Schopenhauer, as you may know. Shopenhauer called it "will", - the basic metaphisical prinsipe of being. Genetic science, definately, proves the idea. This apparenly hints at correletion between genetic science and metaphisic and as resut at possability of new Jugenic.