Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 7:33 pm

Players’ Ring opens new season

Quote:
The Players’ Ring opesn its 2017-2018 season with the premier of “The Asperger Twins.”

The Asperger Twins” met both jurors’ interests as well as the Ring’s criteria.

The play is written by Jeffrey Kinghorn, of Barrington, a 30-year writer of novels, poetry and scripts. Kinghorn, who is new to the Ring, is producing and directing the piece, which is part of his “Siblings” trilogy.

Kinghorn’s series was inspired by his work as a teacher, first at university then in public schools in special needs, “where I encountered many students on the spectrum,” he says. “They taught me a lot.”

“I loved these students,” Kinghorn adds. “And as a theater person, I wasn’t seeing anything out there where they weren’t the second banana or the comic relief.”

“Asperger Twins” is a two-person show, both characters with Aspergers. “So they’re front and center,” Kinghorn says. “So I think we get a look at what it’s like to live from that point of view. More than anything, it’s meant to celebrate them.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman