Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2017, 7:54 pm

do you have autism i have autism and many other special needs

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 7:56 pm

i used to think so, now i'm not so sure.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

autism1022
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2017, 7:57 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i used to think so, now i'm not so sure.

well if you use too you still do autism never goes away

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2017, 10:05 pm

Yes, I have autism. I couldn't speak until I was 4 years old. I have sensory processing problems, thin retinas, and a bunch of neurological, skeletal, heart, and digestive issues. But people mostly don't notice much out of the ordinary when they meet me, except that I'm told I'm very quiet. How are you doing with your special needs? I was in a hospital program for kids with developmental disabilities and special needs from age 3 to 4 years, but I got mainstreamed into public school and feel like I missed out a lot, although I got to experience a lot too.

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2017, 11:33 pm

I think i might have Autism and am getting tested for it in November

autism1022
Raven
Raven

03 Sep 2017, 12:19 am

EyeDash wrote:
Yes, I have autism. I couldn't speak until I was 4 years old. I have sensory processing problems, thin retinas, and a bunch of neurological, skeletal, heart, and digestive issues. But people mostly don't notice much out of the ordinary when they meet me, except that I'm told I'm very quiet. How are you doing with your special needs? I was in a hospital program for kids with developmental disabilities and special needs from age 3 to 4 years, but I got mainstreamed into public school and feel like I missed out a lot, although I got to experience a lot too.

im ok im very high functioning

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:38 am

Yes.
And it might be my imagination (or just the result of developmental delays, who knows) but it seems to be getting more pronounced as I get older.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2017, 6:28 am

Er...yeah I am

BBC: Radio 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:36 am

I was in a similar situation to Eyedash.

I was classically autistic until age 5. I went to special schools most of my school career. I was mainstreamed for about 3 years--almost got expelled. Primarily because of my Aspieness and my being oblivious to the social aspect of things,

I am fortunate to have only minor neurological-type symptoms.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:37 am

C2V wrote:
Yes.
And it might be my imagination (or just the result of developmental delays, who knows) but it seems to be getting more pronounced as I get older.

Do you think that has anything to do with self - awareness of your condition or are you symptoms perceived as worse - has anyone close to you mentioned this.

I haven't been Dx and would say I showed minimal to no symptoms as a small child ( none than I can remember anyway ) , from the age of 19 it has got progressively worse ( sensory issues increased to name one ). This does not sound like ASD to me. And before joining here I had no idea I had so many autistic traits.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:44 am

The present definition of autism requires one to have symptoms at a very young age.

I wonder if there could be an autistiform disorder with a later onset.

I feel, more and more, that there many "autisms." Some with digestive symptoms, some with regression. Maybe something with a later onset?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 7:17 am

Quote:
The present definition of autism requires one to have symptoms at a very young age.

I feel, more and more, that there many "autisms." Some with digestive symptoms, some with regression. Maybe something with a later onset?

Not to misrepresent - I did have symptoms from a young age. I have always been autistic, will always be autistic.
But I think things can either really degenerate or can seem to as the person becomes more aware (I was hardly self-aware at all as a child, or aware of anyone else). I had a very severe breakdown a few years ago and I think that exacerbated things a lot.
Quote:
Do you think that has anything to do with self - awareness of your condition or are you symptoms perceived as worse - has anyone close to you mentioned this.

I haven't been Dx and would say I showed minimal to no symptoms as a small child ( none than I can remember anyway ) , from the age of 19 it has got progressively worse ( sensory issues increased to name one ). This does not sound like ASD to me. And before joining here I had no idea I had so many autistic traits

I think it does have to do with self-awareness. I had basically none growing up, so I didn't understand anything about autism, or have an awareness of others or how they perceived me. It just didn't occur to me, because of developmental delays I assume. Babies, for instance, have very little cognition of themselves. They're basically like animals. And I was like that for longer than most. When I came to a better understanding of these things, it was also a time when social life, and life in general, was becoming more complex and demanding and it started to be very obvious, and couldn't just be dismissed as childhood awkwardness. And I think for others, even though they resisted it, they may have also believed the lies about autism being a "childhood disease," and expected me to grow out of it and suddenly turn into a functional adult. Obviously, autistic children just become autistic adults. I always had symptoms. Just not the awareness with which to reflect on them.
If it does not sound like ASD to you, what do you think your problem might be instead?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 7:31 am

Ferris....is just off his rocker.

Self-awareness could exacerbate symptoms.....but could also ease the way towards a mitigation of symptoms.

I was aware that I was "different" from a young age. At least I sort of knew WHY I was different; this helped me not to lose overall confidence in myself as a child. As an adolescent, it was a different story, though. I felt guilty that I came out "okay," as opposed to the severely autistic, nonverbal person who went to nursery school with me. It was rammed down my throat, how "lucky" I was.

As an adult, knowing my disorder has helped me, over all, deal with the social isolation. And learn how to deal with the world around me.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:11 am

C2V wrote:
Quote:

Not to misrepresent - I did have symptoms from a young age. I have always been autistic, will always be autistic.
But I think things can either really degenerate or can seem to as the person becomes more aware (I was hardly self-aware at all as a child, or aware of anyone else). I had a very severe breakdown a few years ago and I think that exacerbated things a lot.
Quote:

I haven't been Dx and would say I showed minimal to no symptoms as a small child ( none than I can remember anyway ) , from the age of 19 it has got progressively worse ( sensory issues increased to name one ). This does not sound like ASD to me. And before joining here I had no idea I had so many autistic traits

I think it does have to do with self-awareness. I had basically none growing up, so I didn't understand anything about autism, or have an awareness of others or how they perceived me. It just didn't occur to me, because of developmental delays I assume. Babies, for instance, have very little cognition of themselves. They're basically like animals. And I was like that for longer than most. When I came to a better understanding of these things, it was also a time when social life, and life in general, was becoming more complex and demanding and it started to be very obvious, and couldn't just be dismissed as childhood awkwardness. And I think for others, even though they resisted it, they may have also believed the lies about autism being a "childhood disease," and expected me to grow out of it and suddenly turn into a functional adult. Obviously, autistic children just become autistic adults. I always had symptoms. Just not the awareness with which to reflect on them.
If it does not sound like ASD to you, what do you think your problem might be instead?

I have definitely seemed to have gone through some sort of regression after a breakdown , my girlfriend suggested ASD and it answers a lot of questions from age 19 to now ( I had a breakdown when I was 19 ). There is not much to go from my childhood days so the only answer I have is as Kraftie has said "off my rocker" :lol:
I am a literal and rigid thinker , I have sensory issues , fussy eater , auditory processing issues , social anxiety , echolalia , I have special interests which I could happily spend all day doing without eating or drinking , and have depression , I also think I have ocd and possibly a personality disorder ( OCPD ? ) - I think all of this can look like ASD but is not without evidence from childhood. What do I know :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 12:19 pm

autism1022 wrote:
do you have autism i have autism and many other special needs

No, I'm completely normal where would you get that idea :? ;)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 10:25 pm

I Was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome when i was 14 which changed to ASD Level 1 when i was 18.

- I dont have many friends and do not understand body language, i used to bite and kick people until i was told it was annoying and rude. my verbal abilities are normal. i cannot make eye contact and have a hard time communicating when im stressed.

- I am very very obsessed with Sonic The Hedgehog. I do not like change and it usually causes Meltdowns.

- I am hyper Sensitive Sound, Sight and Vestibular (balance) but undersensitive taste, smell, proprioception and touch (still hate it when people touch me because its uncomfortable emotionally). I dont stim often but when i do i enjoy pacing, chewing, head banging, Deep pressure therapy . I have headphones and sunglasses to cope in public and can NOT attend places like clubs, bars, and even some bowling allies.

- I have a hard time keeping my self and my house clean and usually i have some outside help to remind me to clean and help with tasks with multiple steps.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com