Why can't God return his protection to the world?

Page 6 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2017, 7:27 am

When you choose to love others it is easier. 1st John chapter4 verse 18 - There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

Im sorry DL for making fun with the whole lemon thing.

Much Love, Nay :heart: .

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2017, 8:35 am

:thumright:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 9:26 am

Nay wrote:
Jesus sacrificed Himself voluntarily and willingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vngjoSb-XrE

Have you even read your bible child?

What are these telling you?

1Peter 1:20 0 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

John 6;38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Now stop your constant lying and go read your bible.

Your lying is giving Christians a bad name and them and you following a genocidal son murdering prick is enough to do that by itself.

Regards
DL

Last edited by GnosticBishop on 15 Sep 2017, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 9:31 am

Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Indeed. Truth is dangerous.

No it's not. The truth is liberating. It's only dangerous to those who like to live a lie, who practice deceit and self-delusion because they cannot face having to re-examine and re-order their lives in accordance with the truth.

I agree, so why do you say it is not dangerous and then show why it is?

That was rhetorical. No reply required. We are on the same page.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 9:38 am

Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
If not, make your apology, if you can even think that much.

Regards
DL

Nay has nothing to apologise for. Go suck a lemon.

Regards

Are you always this rude? Seriously, whenever I see something written by you it just overflows with anger. Maybe you should take a break from the computer and just see the sunshine for once. It might actually help.

Better still learn what English words mean.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apology

plural apologies
1 a :an admission of error or discourtesy accompanied by an expression of regret ·a public apology
b apologies plural :an expression of regret for not being able to do something ·I won't be able to attend. Please give them my apologies.

2 a :something that is said or written to defend something that other people criticize :defense ·The book is an apology for capitalism.

b :excuse 2a
3 informal :a poor substitute or example :makeshift ·He's a poor apology for a father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_apologetics

Christian apologetics (Greek: ἀπολογία, "verbal defence, speech in defence")[1] is a field of Christian theology that aims to present historical, reasoned, and evidential bases for Christianity, defending it against objections.

Regards
DL

Yes, okay, you got me there, I was rude too. I do try not to be though. Sometimes it's hard, but the effort has to be made.

The written word often read more harshly than the spoken face to face word.

My poor education and delivery does not help, especially when I an addressing believers who have closed minds and get my temper up. That is not a reference to you. See what I mean. When I read such a statement that is not clarified, I think it for me when it isn't.

I am getting more wordy though and that is helping me not seem so, in your face, thanks to my pushy sales personality.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

Nay wrote:
When you choose to love others it is easier. 1st John chapter4 verse 18 - There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

Im sorry DL for making fun with the whole lemon thing.

Much Love, Nay :heart: .

Human to human love is easy. We naturally default to cooperation which is love. Love like faith is shown by works and deeds and that default position is our first deed.

Respect has to be earned though and that is the hard part of human to human emotional connection.

Especially in religious matters because religion brings the devil out of us as you might have noted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

My devil comes out when literalists idol worshipers like you make unqualified statements that are dogma based instead of bible based.

That is why I answered your other post the way I did.

Do get better and learn what Christianity is all about, and that will make you a Gnostic Christian which is the only good Christian.

We do not idol worship like you do and follow Jesus who says we should seek God, not turn into idol worshipers.

Regards
DL

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:26 pm

shlaifu wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
I feel you. I really do. To ME, it seems like God protected the world up until about 1992...

...but that's because 1992 was the year I turned 14 and started really thinking about the s**t that was going on all around us.

I'll tell you the conclusion I've come to.

[God] is STILL protecting the world. [God] keeps sending wake-up calls, and advice, and guidance, and all stuff like that.

We don't listen. We don't learn.

And I'm nobody to judge. [God] or Verified Emissaries Thereof have given me little signs to mark the path I should walk, and little signs to tell me when I'm off it... And bigger signs... And BIGGER signs... And I've still frigged my own walk up because I did not hear, did not listen, did not understand through my own human opinions, and therefore did not heed.

We. Just. Don't. Learn. And sooner or later, the consequences of our actions pile up and the most loving thing [God] can legitimately do is reboot the world before we turn it into Hell.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

what do you mean we don't learn? god warned us with pestilence, many times. then we learned to use antibiotics.

LOL OK, point taken, we do learn a little bit. Sometimes. Of course, we learned to use them...

...took all the credit to ourselves for them...

...and then abused the f**k out of them. Perhaps we are being warned, once again, with MRSA et al??

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:32 pm

I actually think sin is a useful concept, with or without Zeus's lightning bolts.

What it indicates is that there is such an objective thing, in relationship to one's environment, as living in error in some fundamental way and accruing costs that one will pay later or costs that someone else will have to take on after your death in order to reverse. Our adaptive strategies and the degrees to which their clement to human progress and well being or detrimental either reinforces integrity into the larger system or builds up a bar tab that has to be paid later. It's part of why we also get so frustrated when people start in with outlandish/foolish as well as outright dangerous political ideas. Those dangers sometimes are close to the surface and easy to see, other times less so, but the effect is that nature has fundamental laws and every time we decide to ignore them - especially when we build that into our philosophy of life - we end up in deep trouble later. I think that's one of the more salient points that Manly P Hall also liked to make often in his lectures.

Thought of that way though, if a system is corrupt enough, it seems easy to understand that reality itself can only take so much of a beating before it snaps back and the consequences start pouring in.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 1:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The original poster hasn't returned to his thread yet to explain to us what he is talking about.

You tell the OP his question is meaningless in the second comment made and now you comment that the OP hasn't come back to explain himself? Well, Duh.
Guess you got what you wanted, didn't you - invalidate them and make them go away.

naturalplastic wrote:
Exactly ^^^.
When did God ever "protect the world", and when did he "stop" doing it? And protection against what?
The question he asks is several kinds of meaningless.

==============================================
Kites and Cats

Why did you make this bizarre post?

I responded to the OP by acting as a stern English teacher critiquing his writing. He wrote as if everyone were on the same page as he is. And my purpose was to point out that probably NO one is on the same page as he is because no one but him heard whatever preacher he heard (or tube vlogger he heard) talk about this god withdrawing his protection stuff. So no one knows what he is talking about. So I implored him to explain it.

Apparently you got all emotional and thought I was attacking him. And unlike most folks who know I was trying to get him to talk MORE and elaborate on his point, you thought I was trying to do the opposite, and "make him go away".

I get that you were emotional.

But here are two things that still puzzle me.

But (a) IF (as you seemed to be implying) you actually understand, and actually relate to what he is talking about then why don't you step up to the plate and EXPLAIN what he is talking about to the rest of us? That would be a great service to the rest of us. What stops you from doing that?

And (b) since you perceived what I did as an attack on him, or on what he said, then....why don't you defend him?
If you have vast evidence that what he is saying is true then instead of just whining that I am beating up on him, why don't you argue the case? What stops you from doing that?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 1:38 am

Because I've been born and YHWH knows when he's outgunned. :twisted: :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 6:59 pm

I made my OP out of frustration a little bit. I have read ideas and articles, and even studies that were conducted, the overall idea is that America is more vulnerable to potential existential threats and other problems today. But deep down, how is society really any better or more peaceful today than it was no later than 20 years ago?

But, I have always wished God will spare us from that. I don't think our prayer's about things on this Earth matter though, God makes me feel angry sometimes. I wish I didn't have to sugar-coat my feelings about religion and deities deep down.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:14 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
But, I have always wished God will spare us from that. I don't think our prayer's about things on this Earth matter though, God makes me feel angry sometimes. I wish I didn't have to sugar-coat my feelings about religion and deities deep down.

I hate to say it but I really think we go it alone in a lot of ways, at least experientially, and whatever's happening around us is just that - ie. its other people's follies and lessons to learn by and large.

On the bright side - we aren't living in Europe during WWI or WWII, or anywhere in Russia, China, etc.. between the 1930's and 1960's. We have no clue what hell on earth is like.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Your original post was a Haven type statement. and not a PPR type statement. And I treated it like a PPR statement. Which I already realized that I shouldn't have done.

You were confessing to fears, and not making an argument about philosophy or theology.

I do admit that the world is scarier IN SOME WAYS today than it was in the cold war decades that folks my age grew up in. But less scary in other ways.

If God exists I doubt that he fine tunes the amount of "protection" he gives us from decade to decade. Its actually kind of irreligious to ascribe every little trend in society to god, and everything that scares you to God. As I said above God does about the same job of protecting us now as he ever did (just as well, or just as badly). So nothing has really changed. So don't worry about it. And just live your life.

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
and the atheists on the other side of the spectrum are kind of snarky too, or don't get it because they don't believe he exists at all.

At the same time, I hate having to fixate on these issues.

Heh! You're right about that. I don't get it :) As an Atheist I'm happy I don't have to concern myself with religion and it's delusions. Science is much more interesting, and I actually get to learn something from it :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 12:16 am

Enceladus wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
and the atheists on the other side of the spectrum are kind of snarky too, or don't get it because they don't believe he exists at all.

At the same time, I hate having to fixate on these issues.

Heh! You're right about that. I don't get it :) As an Atheist I'm happy I don't have to concern myself with religion and it's delusions. Science is much more interesting, and I actually get to learn something from it :wink:

While I agree with your assessment of religion, we can actually learn from it. Listening to people express their delusions gives insight into how their minds work, both individually and collectively.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
What absolutely knocks me out is being forced to realize that all of this is likely true to some degree. I still have no clue to what degree conscious agents in the universe make excuses for the way things are or for whatever reason give NDE'ers a sense of false ownership, trying to reconcile Darwinian evolution and dog-eats-dog in design of creation with somehow unconditional love doing anything other than help you take care of those who'll allow you to be peaceable toward them I have no clue.

I think that's where we have a really hard and nasty paradox - ie. a material universe that by all intents and purposes is completely amoral, and that's weighed against what might call the standard new-agey soul plan tropes of the people who, to my best estimate, actually did step past it. It stacks up almost as badly as a literalist 20th century protestant interpretation the bible just that, as uncomfortable as it is to acknowledge, the former is almost infinitely more likely than the later and the holes that can be poked in it seem to be decreasing with examination rather than increasing.

I know none of that's particularly cozy but yep - odds are Plotinus' universal emanation deity is less Yahweh and more Sybil.

Eben Alexander. Why do I get the very strong feeling that he is an undercover member of the SS (Sceptic's Society), with the mission to attempt to discredit the entire N.D.E. phenomenon? His "experience" is positively disneyesque, and people have been ridiculing it left, right and centre because of this.