Nobel Peace Prize winner allows troops to behead children

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:11 am

The Rohingya people of Myanmar are current experiencing a genocide at the hand of the military
The former Nobel peace prize winner Aung Su Chee has been accused of giving approval to acts of violence including the beheading of children
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 39151.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:14 am

Can the Nobel Prize be recalled?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 5:01 pm

There are calls for it to be revoked in this case

While Su Chee is not directly responsible for the actions of the military she has defended their role in genocide by making coded statements like the Rohingya are migrants (which is untrue) and its an internal matter (disregarding the suffering of people who probably used to support her). All of which are suggesting she is being ethnocentric about who is Burmese, pity given she presented a different mask of being compassionate and pro-peace when she was under house arrest all those years ago...

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm

I assumed this was about Obama and ISIS.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:43 pm

Funny how people change once they get their arse on the seat of power. Been going on ever since arses were invented, though.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:50 pm

JohnPowell wrote:

Obama's style is to rain fire from the sky, via drone, not decapitation. And it's ISIS who were his usual recipients of having fire rained from the sky on them.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I hope it can. What was it for anyway? I know it wasn't for crimes against humanity.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm

JohnPowell wrote:

Since when has Obama supported ISIS? last time I checked he hasn't been president for 9 months? which rock have you been hiding under John?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I hope it can. What was it for anyway? I know it wasn't for crimes against humanity.

Yeah she should give it back, she is behaving almost in the same manner as the military Junta she was campaigning against

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 4:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Obama's style is to rain fire from the sky, via drone, not decapitation. And it's ISIS who were his usual recipients of having fire rained from the sky on them.

Uh no, it was mostly innocent civilians, some even US civilians. He supported ISIS in Syria and Libya.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Since when has Obama supported ISIS? last time I checked he hasn't been president for 9 months? which rock have you been hiding under John?

Was supporting them in Syria and Libya to topple the government/s. Been very busy. Glad you missed me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 4:58 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Uh no, it was mostly innocent civilians, some even US civilians. He supported ISIS in Syria and Libya.

Actually, most of the people Obama supported in Syria tended to be Pro-Iran, not ISIS. Obama rained fire on Assad's and ISIS forces.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 8:02 pm

She's choosing her battles, and choosing badly. International opinion didn't put her in power, but it has kept her alive. If she loses it, the military may decide they can dispatch her somehow. Siding with them seems dumb, even setting aside participating in genocide.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 9:02 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
She's choosing her battles, and choosing badly. International opinion didn't put her in power, but it has kept her alive. If she loses it, the military may decide they can dispatch her somehow. Siding with them seems dumb, even setting aside participating in genocide.

I suspect she is keeping quiet to placate the military and in return allow them to quietly conduct "clean up" operations on Rohingya people (genocide). She may even be keeping quiet to continue to protect the ethnic Burmese population who support her from harrasment.

She will be astute enough by now to know this is looking like self-preservation but I suspect she has personal bias (carried by most ethnic Burmese) that Rohingya are "not Burmese" (they are ethnic Bengalis related to people in India) and so doesn't feel compelled to speak up for them.

My argument is that she has breached the spirit of the Nobel peace prize by not abiding by the principles of human rights (even if she thinks she is serving the greater good) so should return it back to Sweden.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 9:41 pm

Its also worth noting that while no one should doubt the ongoing massacre, people often use the specific crime you mentioned as a blood libel. No media are allowed in.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:08 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Its also worth noting that while no one should doubt the ongoing massacre, people often use the specific crime you mentioned as a blood libel. No media are allowed in.

Yes, a number of regimes have used the original Ottoman tactic conducted on Armenians - The Nazis killing Jews in concentration camps, Japanese killing Chinese in Nanking, Hutus killng Tutsis in Rwanda, Indonesians and Malaysians killing ethnic Chinese, Pakistanis killing Bangladeshis (looks like the Bengalis have been unlucky here) and Sinhalese in Sri lanka killing ethnic Tamils.

All of them (and probably others I haven't mentioned) use the strategy of restricting access to journalists who might have cameras revealing evidence of what really happened. Without evidence they can make up any story they like and (like the Sri Lankan Sinhalese of recent times) even get support from the US and Australia to blame the victims for causing the war