Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 7:29 am

What is the point of a party?
I have had the misfortune recently of attending two parties. I still don't understand the point of this.
I do assume that people find this enjoyable - but do they really? Or is it just that they are supposed to enjoy it?
What can be enjoyable about a party? There is nothing to do, people just seem to stand around screaming smalltalk at each other over bad music played too loud. Nothing has been learned, gained, changed, or improved. Nothing useful has been achieved. Then they leave.
If this is socializing, then I think I'll continue not to do it. What is the point?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:07 am

I agree. I've been invited to two parties recently and ducked out of both of them. Maybe they'll stop inviting me... no loss.
People just stand around roaring at each other.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2017, 8:28 am

I think the reason is to share with other people in a group, and trying to have fun together. I personally enjoy going to a party if it's with mostly people I feel comfortable with.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:45 am

I cpuldnt agree more with your summary of what a party is c2v.

I think extroverts thrive in that sort of environment and love it. People who like that kind of music enjoy it loud.

I much prefer a small group where people can get to know each other better. That's why invite folk over to my house rather than attend large parties. If the company is right the talk can be good.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:50 am

Free Food

icechai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2017, 5:49 pm

Exactly, not just free food, free alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages! Once you've had your fill, you can quietly duck out and relax at home

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm

^ not even really that, most parties just seem to have wilted "finger foods" and "nibblies" and bad punch with things in it. :?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:07 am

Last edited by the_phoenix on 05 Sep 2017, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:16 am

don't overthink it.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:38 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
don't overthink it.

That really doesn't help if you can't hear what anyone is saying because of the music.

Plus everyone has grouped off anyway and no one is talking to you and you're bored and wish you were at home.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:19 am

Depends what kind of party you're talking about. Do you only mean the kind of parties with loud music and such or do you also mean wedding celebrations and such? If just the first, well... I don't know, some people simply find the loud music, drinks, perhaps dancing and that sort of stuff enjoyable. Isn't it like asking someone why they find their special interests so interesting that they can focus on it for hours? Some people could probably give a detailed explanation of why their special interests are so interesting, but I don't think I could. People just like different things and that's how it is. If you don't like those kind of parties for one reason or another, you don't have to go and there's no need to feel bad about it or anything.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2017, 7:14 am

The point of the party is getting drunk, lose inhibatations and dare to go and talk to people you find interesting but need a drink or two to gather some courage.
The point of getting drunk is to stop overthinking.
The point of a party in a loud club is to switch off from reality for a couple of hours and feel the freedom of having no bothering thoughts and no problems while you dance.

I like going to clubs but for me it's not about socializing. I can't hear what people say and to have an actual conversation gives me headache. I always find dancing is a kind of solitary activity for me even when I am in the middle of the crowd. I feel connected to the music. I am music. But I'm not interested in the people around me.

The best parties when you go out with some friends to a place that has got a quiet area to talk, beer garden or something. I had some interesting conversations outside about quantumphysics and different dimensions etc.

*Just some random thoughts I had when I saw this post.*

DreamsWhatDreams
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Sep 2017, 7:46 am

For most people it's socializing. For me, it's about getting as off my face as possible and swaying around to some good music for a while. I'm the introvert at parties who you see just getting wrecked and eating all the food, but not talking to many people. And if the music isn't very good? I just drink until it is.

lasting for a very short time. See also, life.

1300geko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2017, 8:13 am

The only parties I've ever been to the lure has been food with those are Church parties so I guess that's a little bit different

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2017, 12:42 pm

DreamsWhatDreams wrote:
And if the music isn't very good? I just drink until it is.

^^
This! :D

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

C2V wrote:
Or is it just that they are supposed to enjoy it?
You may be on to something there. And I'm pretty sure both fiction and reality have looked at a phenomena where Everyone dislikes a thing but no one can bring themselves to publicly question the thing.