Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

C2V wrote:
Or is it just that they are supposed to enjoy it?
You may be on to something there. And I'm pretty sure both fiction and reality have looked at a phenomena where Everyone dislikes a thing but no one can bring themselves to publicly question the thing.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 4:29 pm

1300geko wrote:
The only parties I've ever been to the lure has been food with those are Church parties so I guess that's a little bit different

I actually like church parties the least. I always feel like way too many people get invited. Usually the party is held in a community hall with music or a live country dance band and a buffet that everyone contributes a dish to.

The point is usually so everyone can get to know each other better, but i find because the whole congregation and then some are invited, people just retreat to their table and don't really mingle. Or people dance with their pals. Mostly it's just groups of women dancing.

I really do think smaller groups are better for properly getting to know others.

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:45 am

DreamsWhatDreams wrote:
And if the music isn't very good? I just drink until it is.

8)

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2017, 10:28 am

C2V wrote:
What is the point of a party?
I have had the misfortune recently of attending two parties. I still don't understand the point of this.
I do assume that people find this enjoyable - but do they really? Or is it just that they are supposed to enjoy it?
What can be enjoyable about a party? There is nothing to do, people just seem to stand around screaming smalltalk at each other over bad music played too loud. Nothing has been learned, gained, changed, or improved. Nothing useful has been achieved. Then they leave.
If this is socializing, then I think I'll continue not to do it. What is the point?

Mostly ppl drink at alcohol at parties and sometimes they even find a new partner, that is often the reasons for going to a party in the first place. Mingle and not being single :jester: If you have a partner and the crowd is small, boring and not interesting to talk to, then there is no point of going as I see it.
Another reason to attend to a party is if there is serving really good food, going together to a cool place later or something that can "spark" your life a bit more. But if it´s just some boring old houseparty, kids running around and nobody is fun to talk to... no point of going.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
The point of the party is getting drunk...

^ This. Particularly when I was younger. I didn't care much about talking with others. Nowadays, I avoid parties. Particularly since I don't drink anymore. I would prefer to just stay at home (and be on my computer).

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:16 pm

Sooo, a party is just a bad cross between a sex hookup / beat, and a bottle shop? :?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:49 am

C2V wrote:
Sooo, a party is just a bad cross between a sex hookup / beat, and a bottle shop? :?

For students and teenagers maybe. Not for adults.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm

I think the point of a party is to get hammered and possibly get laid. I think for NTs, socializing is a big thing, but I don't get how you're supposed to socialize when the music's f*****g blaring and it's hard to talk >.<

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm

The point is to smoke weed for free then immediately leave in order to enjoy a free high on your own. F*ck socializing.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 1:13 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...and possibly get laid...

This was also a goal of mine, when I was younger. Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to achieve this goal if you don't actually talk to any girls.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...I don't get how you're supposed to socialize when the music's f*****g blaring and it's hard to talk >.<

This always puzzled me (how people can talk when the music is so loud).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 4:29 am

Well, I've been going to the wrong parties. I did go to the drinking kind where you might meet a love interest, when I was in my early 20s.

Most of the parties I go to now, not that I've been to one in a long time. December last year was the last one.

It's always married couples and a few single women. And everyone drinks moderately, the music isnt too loud to talk. But theres stil too many people who all know each other and I'm the outsider and there's no single men to meet.

I actually miss the loud series now.