Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm

I get meltdowns and shutdowns.

I am able to "save" for later. Meaning that if something very upsetting happens at school i can keep myself together until i get home or on the way home and have a meltdown then.

Last summer was the worst metldown-wise. I had so many meltdowns and a regression and stuff. I feel like i am back to normal now (well, almost).

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

My friend is in the middle of the spectrum and he has had 1 meltdown in his life.

im considered very high functioning and meltdowns are pretty easy for me to get, change, sensory overload, confusion, not being able to comunicate and sometimes causes im not even aware of! and they range from upset to DANGEROUS.

it all depends on what you can and cant handle and how you cope with what life throws at you.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

AutumnWind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2017, 2:06 pm

Vendetta wrote:
I'm going to define meltdown as "An uncontrollable outward negative response to sensory stimuli."
I can't speak for when I was younger, but at least right now I don't have meltdowns. When I am in public I am normally over stimulated (This is what I call it when to much stimuli is having a negative affect on me, though it is very mild and easily manageable,but can still make it not worth it). When there is a lot of noise I can get overloaded, during these times if something else was added on top, or I was emotional then I'm pretty sure I could have a meltdown. When there are lots of loud noises I get really mad and will shake afterwards and twitch.

I have Meltdowns they can be really bad sometimes
people with ASD may or may not have them.
Nerotypicals can also have meltdowns there just probably not like ours.

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
My friend is in the middle of the spectrum and he has had 1 meltdown in his life.

im considered very high functioning and meltdowns are pretty easy for me to get, change, sensory overload, confusion, not being able to comunicate and sometimes causes im not even aware of! and they range from upset to DANGEROUS.

it all depends on what you can and cant handle and how you cope with what life throws at you.

That's very interesting. Thank you very much.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 12:17 am

As a kid I used to get angry and anxious, and I'd have moments where I'd hit or kick things, but they were always short-lived and not self-detrimental. As a teenager I developed panic attacks, and as I've gotten older, from the age of about 19 or 20, I started having relatively severe self-injurious meltdowns in which I lost all cognitive control, and control over my actions. These days they start when I get very overwhelmed very fast, by either sensory or emotional input. My logical controls shut down and I feel like I'm going to rip apart at the seams, so I hit my head and bite my hands a lot in an effort to jettison some of the excess tension. I can't talk at all during or after the fact, so I can't communicate with people at all, and just do a lot of primal screaming. When it's over, I'm usually exhausted and just have to go home and sleep. I used to get them once or twice a year, but over the past six months or so, they've escalated to once or twice a month, for reasons I can't discern.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2017, 7:08 am

It takes a lot (and I mean, a lot) for me to have a meltdown, and it only ever happens in crisis situations (i.e. really bad arguments with someone with whom I'm emotionally attached). I have shutdowns and have had for as long as I can remember, but since I was only diagnosed as an adult I never really knew what they were. During shutdowns I just feel like I cannot really talk (as if talking took an enormous amount of energy that I don't have at that moment), and I don't want to be touched (there's nothing worse than someone who wants to "hug it off" after an uncomfortable situation / disagreement... I need my time to cool down); sometimes it requires that I go somewhere alone and rest on my own (I feel as if my brain needed to reset itself before I can come back).

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm

To answer the original posters question, not everyone has meltdowns (including autistic people). And I will remind you that not everyone who experiences meltdowns is autistic either. They're quite common in people with ADD, or sensory processing issues.

Personally I haven't had rage attacks in years, I guess I've grown out of them.. Under extremely rare circumstances, it is possible that I might end up getting what amounts to a shutdown.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Chalchiuhticuenaabah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2017, 8:53 pm

Thank you for the post

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:56 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
As a kid I used to get angry and anxious, and I'd have moments where I'd hit or kick things, but they were always short-lived and not self-detrimental. As a teenager I developed panic attacks, and as I've gotten older, from the age of about 19 or 20, I started having relatively severe self-injurious meltdowns in which I lost all cognitive control, and control over my actions. These days they start when I get very overwhelmed very fast, by either sensory or emotional input. My logical controls shut down and I feel like I'm going to rip apart at the seams, so I hit my head and bite my hands a lot in an effort to jettison some of the excess tension. I can't talk at all during or after the fact, so I can't communicate with people at all, and just do a lot of primal screaming. When it's over, I'm usually exhausted and just have to go home and sleep. I used to get them once or twice a year, but over the past six months or so, they've escalated to once or twice a month, for reasons I can't discern.

Wait, when did you come back :D ? I love reading your posts!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

rileydaboss2000
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2017, 5:50 pm

I've had a few meltdowns in my life, mostly because something bad has happened or that I am under a lot of stress and pressure, which has caused some very bad problems for me. I remember them well, and they have not been good, resorted to breaking down crying and even physically harming myself. I don't have many now though, because things have changed, and I am more comfortable in the environment that I currently reside in.....

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2017, 3:46 am

There was a time when I was young that I think I had a meltdown. First day of school never happened for me. I was crying screaming, kicking I remembered my parents trying to lift me but it's like I locked up or something. My body just froze and became rigid. That's the only time that I can remember having a meltdown. The rest are just temper tantrums.

PerceptionReality
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2017, 5:07 am

I'm not diagnosed yet but I'd be surprised if I was found not to be on the spectrum tbh (AQ 44 and EQ 11)

I don't have classic autistic meltdowns but I do get my emotions confused, i.e. crying when angry and shut down if I'm overwhelmed.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2017, 6:22 am

PerceptionReality wrote:
I'm not diagnosed yet but I'd be surprised if I was found not to be on the spectrum tbh (AQ 44 and EQ 11)

I don't have classic autistic meltdowns but I do get my emotions confused, i.e. crying when angry and shut down if I'm overwhelmed.
I only cry or get teary eyed during confrontations because murder is illegal.LOL :lol:

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 6:40 am

neurotypicalET wrote:
PerceptionReality wrote:

I only cry or get teary eyed during confrontations because murder is illegal.LOL :lol:

Hah!

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2017, 6:43 am

teksla wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:
PerceptionReality wrote:

Hah!
That was a joke just in case you don't get it.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 7:03 am

neurotypicalET wrote:
teksla wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:
PerceptionReality wrote:

Hah!
That was a joke just in case you don't get it.

(I got it). It reminds me a bit of a quote from Sheldon Cooper (of the big bang theory)
"I cry because other people are stupid and it makes me sad"