Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

I'm going to define meltdown as "An uncontrollable outward negative response to sensory stimuli."
I can't speak for when I was younger, but at least right now I don't have meltdowns. When I am in public I am normally over stimulated (This is what I call it when to much stimuli is having a negative affect on me, though it is very mild and easily manageable,but can still make it not worth it). When there is a lot of noise I can get overloaded, during these times if something else was added on top, or I was emotional then I'm pretty sure I could have a meltdown. When there are lots of loud noises I get really mad and will shake afterwards and twitch.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 11:01 am

Not everyone with autism has autistic meltdowns.

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 11:09 am

EzraS wrote:

What happens with for you?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

Shutdown, not meltdown, always. Ironically I think having a meltdown would just provide more stimulus I couldn't handle.

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 11:32 am

C2V wrote:
Shutdown, not meltdown, always. Ironically I think having a meltdown would just provide more stimulus I couldn't handle.

Yah, I'm glad I haven't had a meltdown.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 11:50 am

I get overwhelmed and anxious in crowds and around noisy energetic kids but I can hide it on the outside as to not draw attention to myself, although sometimes I may tut or walk away quickly but that's out of feelings of irritation. I do that because I want people to know I like my space, without making a scene in any way.

I have had panic attacks before in crowds, as in heart palpitations, sweaty palms and difficulty breathing, and also having the urge to cry.

When I reach home after battling vast crowds and obnoxious kids, I feel really relieved, and I tend to stay indoors for the rest of the day to avoid people, as my social anxiety levels go up.

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I get overwhelmed and anxious in crowds and around noisy energetic kids but I can hide it on the outside as to not draw attention to myself, although sometimes I may tut or walk away quickly but that's out of feelings of irritation. I do that because I want people to know I like my space, without making a scene in any way.

I have had panic attacks before in crowds, as in heart palpitations, sweaty palms and difficulty breathing, and also having the urge to cry.

When I reach home after battling vast crowds and obnoxious kids, I feel really relieved, and I tend to stay indoors for the rest of the day to avoid people, as my social anxiety levels go up.

This sounds more like social anxiety.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2017, 1:58 pm

Vendetta wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Anxiety is the major cause of meltdowns, and that anxiety could easily be caused by being large crowds. I would argue that crowds make noise and noise causes sensory overload..QED

BBC: Radio 4

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 1:59 pm

I occasionally get meltdowns, but not as often as I did when I was a kid. Nowadays, I can often hold it off until it turns into a shutdown instead, which at least doesn't draw attention to me. I'm so quiet and withdrawn most of the time, no one else even seems to notice when I have a shutdown.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:00 pm

I can't recall ever having anything I know to have been a meltdown, but then I don't have sensory issues other than being bothered by tags on clothes and stuff like that.

I might have had a mild shutdown about five months ago, but I'm not sure whether that's what it was. It definitely wasn't brought on by anything sensory related; I'd been going through a very stressful time over several weeks, and then office politics were just too much one morning and I sort of went into a "do whatever you want to me, I don't care" kind of mode.

I don't recall sensory changing at all during it, but, while kind of scary that I didn't care about anything, it actually felt kind of strangely comforting, in that I didn't have to worry about what was going to happen or anything like that. It lasted for maybe 10-20 minutes sitting in a chair, then things gradually returned to their previous stressful ways.

Does that sound like a shutdown? It definitely wasn't normal, but there could be some other defensive things that the brain does during stressful situations.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:09 pm

Vendetta wrote:
EzraS wrote:

What happens with for you?

I have fairly classic meltdowns and have to be restrained. But I shutdown more often where I curl up in a ball or go catatonic.

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 3:41 pm

Voxish wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Anxiety is the major cause of meltdowns, and that anxiety could easily be caused by being large crowds. I would argue that crowds make noise and noise causes sensory overload..QED

Yah, that's not what I meant. I should've worded it differently.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 8:53 am

Not a meltdown, but the last couple of days I have just about felt ready to faint. The heat is in triple digits, very abnormal where I live, where it is typically in the 70s. I have felt an oppressive feeling throughout my entire body.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

Vendetta wrote:
I'm going to define meltdown as "An uncontrollable outward negative response to sensory stimuli."
I can't speak for when I was younger, but at least right now I don't have meltdowns. When I am in public I am normally over stimulated (This is what I call it when to much stimuli is having a negative affect on me, though it is very mild and easily manageable,but can still make it not worth it). When there is a lot of noise I can get overloaded, during these times if something else was added on top, or I was emotional then I'm pretty sure I could have a meltdown. When there are lots of loud noises I get really mad and will shake afterwards and twitch.

I have two kinds. The first is the angry meltdown, when I'm upset with someone who I know is in the wrong. This one takes a long time to elicit, years sometimes, but when it happens its like a monster breaking out of a cage. Its like Banner becoming the Hulk or Jekkyl becoming Hyde. Its scary even to me.

The other is the shame meltdown, which happens when I know that I'm in the wrong. I have a total panic response and just want to escape the situation and hide.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:58 pm

No meltdowns here. I'm the most stable person I know. So rock-steady that it's worrying.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm

I get meltdowns and shutdowns.

I am able to "save" for later. Meaning that if something very upsetting happens at school i can keep myself together until i get home or on the way home and have a meltdown then.

Last summer was the worst metldown-wise. I had so many meltdowns and a regression and stuff. I feel like i am back to normal now (well, almost).