desiring religion, but turned off by various factors

Page 2 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2017, 9:10 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
As for the nature of hell, from Matthew 13, Jesus says this,
"…47 Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a dragnet that was cast into the sea and caught fish of every kind. 48 When it was full, the men pulled it ashore. Then they sat down and sorted the good fish into containers, but threw the bad away. 49 So will it be at the end of the age: The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous, 50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 51 Have you understood all these things?” "

I think another question people might have, wether you get destroyed( as in die) in hell or will you have to suffer for eternity?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 9:19 am

Strangely, atheists really know their Mosaic/Pauline writings. It seems to confirm to me that they care more about their collective contrarianism than their own personal beliefs; but, I digress.

As another gnostic Christian, I would advise simply that the OP accept that which is agreeable in the Bible, and ignore that which is disagreeable. Paul said several times that understanding the Bible requires the reader to use "reason" or logic. As the primary apologist for Christianity, what Paul suggests of us, to that extent, is some good advice.

During the Age of Reason, even Thomas Jefferson "copied and pasted" only those biblical passages with which he agreed into his own version of the Bible. Even Benjamin Franklin wrote in 1757 that "If Men are so wicked as we now see them with Religion what would they be if without it?"

So, assigning oneself to certain protocols and expectations probably doesn't yield the kind of wisdom we are seeking.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

Yo El wrote:
I think another question people might have, wether you get destroyed( as in die) in hell or will you have to suffer for eternity?

This looks like it says suffer for eternity, Matthew 25
Quote:
The Sheep and the Goats

31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

so does this, Mark 9
Quote:
Causing to Stumble

42“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. 43If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. [44]b 45And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [c 46 Some manuscripts include here the words of verse 48.] 47And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48where “ ‘the worms that eat them do not die,and the fire is not quenched."

This too, Revelation 20
A person will have to determine whether they wish to take it allegorically or literally.
Given what Jesus himself said in the 2 references above, it could well be literal.
Quote:
The Judgment of Satan

7When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Judgment of the Dead

11Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Daniel, a book of prophecy in the Old Testament, has a statement which looks to be related to the issue,
Daniel 12:1-2
Quote:
At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

I have a great desire for there to be a "heaven." I don't want to float in oblivion when I die.

But I just can't bring myself to believe in any god or spirit.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have a great desire for there to be a "heaven." I don't want to float in oblivion when I die.

More should seek to live in reality instead of a delusional supernatural infected world of Gods who are less than human and quite immoral.

Regards
DL

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2017, 1:43 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

More should seek to live in reality instead of a delusional supernatural infected world of Gods who are less than human and quite immoral.

Regards
DL

Well, humans have an ever-present need for there to be some kind of explanation or reason for our existence, our world's, and our reality's. If you look throughout history, everytime religion is ousted, something that is religion by any other word has replaced it. Logic and reason, cults of personality, and more were integrated during the time of the French revolution, Marxism, then Communism, then finally Stalinism for the Soviet Union, borderline Hitler-worship, patriotism, cultural pride, and militant nationalism for Hitler's Germany (although religion was tolerated for a time, I believe that Hitler and the Nazi party began opposition towards the idea later on), and there's plenty more. It's a nessessary thing, as it binds us together, gives us meaning, and drives us to be better (though, not always. Bin Laden's Jihadist ideals, for example, or Westborough's loonybin) persons, morally and otherwise.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 3:50 pm

insertgenericlewdcomment wrote:
Quote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Regards
DL

Well, humans have an ever-present need for there to be some kind of explanation or reason for our existence, our world's, and our reality's.

I agree that religions fill am need but see it as a tribal/insecurity need. The needs of children who refuse, --- to put away the things of children (the supernatural), as scriptures put it, and grow up. Explanations and morality are secondary to truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T64_El2s7FU

If you look throughout history, everytime religion is ousted, something that is religion by any other word has replaced it. Logic and reason, cults of personality, and more were integrated during the time of the French revolution, Marxism, then Communism, then finally Stalinism for the Soviet Union, borderline Hitler-worship, patriotism, cultural pride, and militant nationalism for Hitler's Germany (although religion was tolerated for a time, I believe that Hitler and the Nazi party began opposition towards the idea later on), and there's plenty more. It's a nessessary thing, as it binds us together, gives us meaning, and drives us to be better (though, not always. Bin Laden's Jihadist ideals, for example, or Westborough's loonybin) persons, morally and otherwise.

Not every religious tenet but most as they become outdated and not up to new and better standards. That is as it should be to all Gnostic Christians.

To a Gnostic Christian, nothing is sacred but is just the best to date. That is what being a perpetual seeker of the best rules and laws to live life by is all about and we should all be seeking those all times.

Regards
DL

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 9:10 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
DataB4 wrote:
Pretty much every person of faith with whom I've ever had a discussion says that religion is mostly about faith, or what you feel in your heart. You can't fully embrace religious belief with just your intellect, they say.

I disagree with that view and so does Gnostic Jesus who says that our minds are what think, not our hearts.

Gnostic Jesus was questioned as to what sees the vision?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /mary.html

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Regards
DL

AspieUtah wrote:
As another gnostic Christian, I would advise simply that the OP accept that which is agreeable in the Bible, and ignore that which is disagreeable. Paul said several times that understanding the Bible requires the reader to use "reason" or logic. As the primary apologist for Christianity, what Paul suggests of us, to that extent, is some good advice.

During the Age of Reason, even Thomas Jefferson "copied and pasted" only those biblical passages with which he agreed into his own version of the Bible. Even Benjamin Franklin wrote in 1757 that "If Men are so wicked as we now see them [i]with Religion
what would they be if without it?"

So, assigning oneself to certain protocols and expectations probably doesn't yield the kind of wisdom we are seeking.

I don't want to derail the thread but I would like to understand this idea of seeing visions of faith with the mind and looking at the Bible selectively.

The quoted passage goes on to say that fellow disciples doubted Mary's vision, at least at first. Many others might've continued doubting.

If we look at the Bible, pick out what makes sense and what feels right, then we're still left with faith as the ultimate decider. Without more certain knowledge, people have to use their "wisdom and discernment" and then have faith in the truth of their beliefs. Maybe I'm confused on what you're both saying here: without faith, how do people decide which parts of a religious text, if any, have truth?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

Yep....it's all a matter of "faith." "Logic," in the syllogistic sense, has no input here.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2017, 3:29 am

Yo El wrote:

This looks like it says suffer for eternity, Matthew 25
Quote:
The Sheep and the Goats

31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

so does this, Mark 9
Quote:
Causing to Stumble

42“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. 43If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. [44]b 45And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [c 46 Some manuscripts include here the words of verse 48.] 47And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48where “ ‘the worms that eat them do not die,and the fire is not quenched."

This too, Revelation 20
A person will have to determine whether they wish to take it allegorically or literally.
Given what Jesus himself said in the 2 references above, it could well be literal.
Quote:
The Judgment of Satan

7When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Judgment of the Dead

11Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
Tell me, why is the like of fired called the second death if you suffer for eternity. Doesn't make sense to me. Only source you mentioned where it clearly states tormenting for eternity is revelation 20, but only for the devil, the beast, and the false prophet. Yet I can't think of scripture saying this about people. Also Maleachi seems to imply that the people will be burnt up: link ( https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV ) John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. Doesn't perish mean to pass away. Being allive in hell for eternity doesn't seem like perishing to me. The punishment is eternal as stated but maybe that implies that there is no going back you will be gone for eternity, I don't know? What is your opinion on this?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 6:39 am

Yo El wrote:
Tell me, why is the like of fired called the second death if you suffer for eternity. Doesn't make sense to me.
Part of it is that your body dies then comes eternal separation from God. Fellowship with God is described as life and being cut off from God is described as death, that being the second death here. For any more insight than that you will have to talk to the people who originally stated or recorded that in those words.
As an additional note, while pop culture hell has it being with friends there is theological discussion that people there will be isolated, alone, basically solitary confinement without end. That would make sense as the opposite of eternal fellowship in the new heaven and the new earth. I think popular culture forgets there will be a new Earth after the end of this world; along with what is described as a new heaven.
The clouds and harps and angel wings thing is fantasy; which was perhaps used symbolically at one point, either way, it remains fantasy.
People do not become angels, we remain people.
One reference supporting the beginning of that concept, from Psalm 8
Quote:
4 ... what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?
5 You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.

Yo El wrote:
Only source you mentioned where it clearly states tormenting for eternity is revelation 20, but only for the devil, the beast, and the false prophet. Yet I can't think of scripture saying this about people.
Sorry, mate but it clearly does say that people will be. Read it again paying attention to
Quote:
"14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire."

Read Matthew 25 again paying attention to
Quote:
46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

The devil with pitchfork thing is a fantasy too, before he got arrogant and wanted to become equal, at least, to God, he was Lucifer, whose name as used today is related to the Latin term for light. I'd have to go look up what it was in the original ancient Hebrew. Actually, one could symbolically describe him as a stunningly handsome and suave fellow in a 3 piece Armani suit. What he brings looks good on the surface but in the end it will bring chaos and suffering.
Getting a bit theological here, it does make sense for him to influence people to portray him as a silly cartoon character and thereby dismiss, deflect, obscure, the seriousness of who he is and what he does - if you dismiss out of hand that someone can have power over you it makes it much easier for them to in fact have the power you have blinded yourself to. That is likely the reason for the popular cartoon portrayal of life in heaven, the dismissing of the whole concept as "Oh, something so silly can't be real"

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 7:39 am

My first question: How can the supreme being, the lord of all, the omnipotent/all knowing God succumb to his anger, commit genocide by drowning the world temporarily, then realize that he screwed up, and then wallow in pity? That never made sense.

A lot of the problem is wrapped up in the language used to describe God by faith leaders, omnipotent, omniscient... perfection etc. It's nice rhetoric, but it doesn't quite fit the narrative of the Bible - where God makes mistakes, changes his mind, creates an imperfect world. Myself I'm pretty happy to let the flood stand as allegory, rather than historical truth. The importance of the allegory being that it's the first step along the path to the non-interventionist Christian God we all secretly resent a little bit for not intervening, the God that doesn't send plagues and disasters when mankind is being very naughty. Something forgotten by some preachers today, who say things like floods and earthquakes are due to rampant homosexuality.

As an aside, this relatively non-interventionist approach marks a fundamental difference between Christianity and historical Judaism and later Islam, who are more similar than they dare consider. The latter two very much believed in temporal reward for faith, be it monetary or military success or what have you. Failure to acquire these things was and still is seen as failure of piety for many believers. Christianity said quite the opposite, that success in the material world is often the result of a lack of virtue and that all souls are equal before God, a big reason Christ's revelations were so unwelcome in the Jewish world. That belief lead indirectly to the progressive worldview we see rampant today

My second question: Is homosexuality truly a sin? I've often wondered if the phrasing of the frequently cited "thou shall not sleep with another man" was possibly because A) It was transcribed by many different people, over a vast amount of time, and somewhere along the line, a transcriber may have been homophobic or something, or B) The fact that it was copied into many different languages back and forth may have resulted in a misinterpretation, or C) Both. I'm somewhat bisexual, with a preference for women, and I don't think it's right to discriminate based on what someone does with their partner(s) in the privacy of their home, so I think that's a big question.

It's a tricky one, it probably deserves its own thread. I don't know if there is a go-to, generally accepted Christian viewpoint anymore, mainly due to the gay marriage debacle, which wasn't really about homosexuals, but a contrived political massacre by a coalition of radicals flexing their muscles. Briefly though, for homosexuals who want to be Christian, you either go down GB's non-Christian Christian gnostic route (which is nothing but left wing progressivism wrapped up in spirituality) or you refrain from acting on those desires, becoming the celibate intellectual - which is a hell of a task.

My third: Is hell truly described in the Bible as a fiery hellscape (no pun intended), with goat-devils and demons poking people with pitchforks? Is heaven ever described as a flowery place where people grow wings, wear togas and laurels, and sit around doing but knitting for all eternity? I'm really curious to know if this is merely a derivative of Vatican-sponsored artwork, or the true depiction.

No idea. Divine judgement is key to Christianity and many other religions, if there's judgement, there are rewards and punishments. The specifics of either I don't think are too important.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2017, 7:48 am

Yo El wrote:
Only source you mentioned where it clearly states tormenting for eternity is revelation 20, but only for the devil, the beast, and the false prophet. Yet I can't think of scripture saying this about people.
Sorry, mate but it clearly does say that people will be. Read it again paying attention to
Quote:
"14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire."
Yes, so people not written in the book get thrown into the lake of fire. But where does it say these people will be tormented forever. Unlike in revelation 20, where it says the devil, the beast, and the false prophet will be tormented for eternity. I can't find the part of scripture saying these people will be tormented for eternity, atleast the parts you send me. It does however say, the fire burns for eternity and the punishment is for eternity. Death can also be seen as an eternal punishment.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 7:49 am

Mikah wrote:
- where God ... creates an imperfect world.
On that point we're opposites, but, hey, a conversation void of differing views is worth, what ...?
:)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 7:58 am

Mikah wrote:
- where God ... creates an imperfect world.
On that point we're opposites, but, hey, a conversation void of differing views is worth, what ...?
:)

Hehe, well there's not much in it. Either the world was imperfect and we are its imperfect creations (for Christians who accept evolution) or the world was perfect and we messed it up (for the creationists). Either way creation was an imperfect event, God has accepted this and thankfully, decided to stop trying to destroy us all and start over.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 8:00 am

Given that it is apparently the same lake, most people deduce that the same conditions apply to all who go there.

Quote:
10And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.