Ladies, what is you opinion on this idea?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 6:48 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
It still basically comes down to the original diagnostic criteria and traits lists being designed for how autism presents in boys. While knowledge in female autism presentation has increased the original biases are still influential in the current diagnostic criteria manuals and traits lists. Many clinicians especially General Practitioners still look at autism in general the old way. And many clinicians still think most female problems are the result of periods or just that women in general are "hysterical". These clinicians may not say that directly because it is politically incorrect to do so but they think that way and diagnose or not diagnose based on that thinking.

Women periods, really... REALLY? Come on, at least they could come up with a more plausible excuse! I know periods can affect women differently but what about before puberty? Can't blame periods then now can you? "Hysterical" wow how shallow to generalize people like that. What do they teach in schools!?

Women's periods are often falsely blamed for a lot of stuff. If I received money every time I heard guys blaming women's periods when a woman does something they do not like I would be rich.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 7:02 pm

The word "hysteria" actually comes from a Latin word meaning "womb" (which is why removal of the uterus is called a hysterectomy). The word itself is implying that it's simply from the menstrual cycle, or some such thing.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm

The medical community and philosophers were not entirely off base in the idea than hormonal fluctuations can affect mood and behavior. They can in both men and women.

The effects of hormone fluctuations and abnormalities in men have been unfortunately neglected by medical science. As for women, early in the history of modern medicine, doctors noted a connection between mood, sometimes even psychosis, and gynecological symptoms. Of course this all sounds very sexist, but that's because this bit of information has been taken out of the context of women with specific medical conditions, and then weaponized to use against women as a whole, most of whom do not suffer from these conditions.

This weaponization, unfortunately, isn't as benign as people think it is. It has made it taboo for even the medical community to discuss said health conditions and their symptoms, and this likely has caused many women undue suffering, or possibly even death when medical practitioners have overlooked the manifestation of mood changes as early signs of potential malignancies of the female reproductive system.

It also is a bad thing for men because it propagates the idea that hormone problems are exclusively a female think and this isn't the case at all. Both men and women have estradiol (estrogen), testosterone, and progesterone, but in different ratios, with men having significantly higher testosterone levels, and women having significantly higher peak progesterone and peak estradiol levels. The interesting thing is, on the low end, at the beginning of her cycle, a woman's estradiol levels overlap with normal male estradiol levels.

The role of testosterone in women, and the role in plays in female health and well being have started to be given more attention by the medical community, and many practitioners now offer testosterone supplementation for women who are deficient to help improve their mood, energy levels and libido (thus improve their relationships).

Research into the role of estradiol in men is still in it's infancy.

Sexism isn't good for anyone, and can even kill.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2017, 8:46 am

I don't really know if there's anything to teach to be honest.

I mean at least for me I just try to camouflage myself and stay away from the pack which makes it easier to not be noticed.
Sometimes I'll try to be friendly towards NT but they seem to take it the wrong way.

I just don't think there's anything to teach and that we're really not meant to be friends with a different species.
NT speak differently, talk different and etc and I still don't get them, likely never will.

All I can honestly say is i guess watch some videos on youtube of how people want to act if you really wanna try to fit in but from my experience there's no way anyone can teach you to be an NT, we're just too different from them but of course no one likes to admit that aspergers / autism isn't a disorder or a disability but rather simple evolution.

At least, that's what I believe..

AquaineBay wrote:
I put this question in the Women's discussion because I don't know exactly where to put this, if it goes somewhere else, please move it to an appropriate spot.

I just thought about something, what would you(women) think about a facility where you can help us males better cope with life.

I noticed that females tend to be higher on the spectrum than males and maybe you could teach some of us how to do better in life. You have better social skills then we do(or learn them better.) and it seems you are able to cope better in life than most of us males can.

I thought maybe it could help because, social skills are usually our main problem and when NTs explain it they usually use some vague response that to many of us males makes no sense! My mother help explain some of my mistakes, and though she wasn't diagnosed, I honestly believe she might have aspergers as she acts very much like an autistic person and talks in a similar manner! Maybe you could also be a "buddy" for us as well! It would help some of you to get employed(if you're not already) and help us too.

I know they probably have something similar already but it doesn't work too well...(probably because too many NTs try to deal with the problems when most of them don't really know what they are doing and can't explain things in a way that we would understand.)

I just wonder what your(women) opinions are on the idea.(not that men can't give an opinion, it's just mainly directed towards women.) :)

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm

Learn social skills by experience and be more social. That’s what I started doing.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
Learn social skills by experience and be more social. That’s what I started doing.

I started trying that like at the beginning of October since everyone I would ask about advice about this would tell me something similar. I really had nothing to lose so why not!

Seems to work... somewhat.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 3:24 pm

There is actually enough abuse of women's opinions and ideas as well as stereotyping to the extreme on this forum, and those tales have been woven and spun time and time again. Maybe you should send a pm to Alex if you want to ask these sorts of question that you imparted, because women and men could not be more different.
I also want to know why an owner keeps this part of the site open to misuse and organising misrepresentation of women, when ongoing criticism always seems to descale quickly into a misleading argument.
I will answer though, that many women can see right through any misleading examples of misdemeanour and those who actively troll on these areas of topic will be used to the replies and many have shown misconduct and have centred it elsewhere on the forum.
Note to mods. I think if someone wants to ask questions like these it should be conducted in a poll and in the Stat area, for all to see, on anything related to body language and social cues.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 3:52 pm

I don't think females are necessarily higher on the spectrum than females. Sure, some of us can pass as NT, but we still may struggle with sensory issues, anxiety, trouble making close friendships, etc. What you see on the outside is not really an accurate picture of what's going on. Plus, I've heard that autistic females are more likely to have classic autism than autistic males. So yeah, I don't think it should be gender-specific.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 6:21 am

I don't usually post in this section but since the OP is male, It's an exception - The best reply here is this one here, OP in bold:

BuyerBeware wrote:
You'd probably end up sick if you tried to follow our advice.

We're women. You're guys. Completely different social code.

It will be totally useless for you, and a waste of time for them. They're almost totally clueless of the men's world and totally clueless what would be applicable for men and what's not- as much you're almost totally clueless of the women's world (no matter how otherwise one would claim to know).

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:16 am

BuyerBeware wrote:

Also, women "look higher" on the spectrum in large part because we're, not even better at social masking, but more likely to engage in it.

With the upside that we're more socially successful when we're young...

...and the downside that we're more likely to fall prey to depression, anxiety, burnout, and not even knowing who the f**k we are any more as we get older.

Trust me. You DON'T want to do what we do. We end up crazy.

So what are the differences in the social code for men and women?

What do women do that make them end up crazy?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2017, 7:34 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

Also, women "look higher" on the spectrum in large part because we're, not even better at social masking, but more likely to engage in it.

...and the downside that we're more likely to fall prey to depression, anxiety, burnout, and not even knowing who the f**k we are any more as we get older.

If we knew, we'd make a tidy list and get all ~normal~ !

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 9:57 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

Woman advising AquaineBay: "Yes, you must apologize to your friend and give him a strong hug"

--> AquaineBay apologizes to his friend and gives him a strong hug by surprise.

AquaineBay's guy reaction: "WTF?? Are you getting gay toward me now? Back off!"

Ok, maybe most ladies realize that male friends don't hug each other, but this was just an example.

So yeah, it can't work.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 12:23 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
They're almost totally clueless of the men's world and totally clueless what would be applicable for men and what's not- as much you're almost totally clueless of the women's world (no matter how otherwise one would claim to know).

In my unscientific opinion women know much much more about men then men know about women.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:45 pm

Can we not have men having a discussion about what women do or don't know in the Women's Forum, please? That's not what this place is for.

Clakker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2017, 1:55 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Can we not have men having a discussion about what women do or don't know in the Women's Forum, please? That's not what this place is for.

^

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 2:06 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:

Buyer and Claradoon had the EXACT same opinion about the difference in social code. And we were just expressing that men don’t know about women’s social code and vice versa.

And they are both women.