Why does Facebook have such bad stigma?

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:15 am

and Facebook lies to governments too

Quote:
Facebook was caught out providing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission officials inaccurate and inflated estimates of the number of its users and ultimately its worth just a week before the company's disastrous IPO, it emerged today.

A flurry of 12 letters between the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Facebook depict a reluctant management team repeatedly playing cat-and-mouse over official requests to release figures and in the end being forced to withdraw information that was in reality guess work at best.

Most damning is the suspicion that Facebook did not have accurate figures for the number of smartphone users who use its application and intentionally held back the real, significantly lower figures, until only a week before the $104 billion IPO on May 18th.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215855/Revealed-How-Facebook-gave-officials--inflated-estimates-number-users-just-week-disastrous-IPO.html

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:19 am

And then there was this,

Quote:
Turns out Facebook will let you focus advertising at people with some horrible worldviews. An investigation by ProPublica published Thursday revealed that the company’s advertising platform allows people to send ads specifically to people who list topics like “Jew hater” or “How to burn Jews” among their interests. Not only that, but it allowed ProPublica journalists to pay to promote posts to such groups.

When ProPublica pointed out the option to Facebook, the social network removed the categories. It also said that they had been created algorithmically, presumably by scraping user profiles and doing nothing to filter out offensive results. But Slate has since tried a similar approach and found that it could promote posts to people who listed “Nazi Elementary School” in their education history or “Ku Klux Klan” as an employer.

If only this were a new problem at Facebook. ProPublica has shown in the past that the company has allowed advertisers to exclude users by race. And its failure to consistently police content is well known: earlier this year, an investigation by the BBC showed that sexualized images of children lingered on Facebook pages.

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/608882/facebooks-anti-semitic-ad-targeting-disaster/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:20 am

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I think I'm seeing a potential trend in FB's behavior patterns ...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 12:18 pm

starkid wrote:
It has stigma because people act like idiots on it, because the security controls can be difficult to figure out, because Facebook tracks people, sells their information, and makes it difficult to delete an account.

Also it's not really like real life because, in your burglar example, someone could just look at your Facebook posts (especially if you can't figure out the security controls) which is much easier than talking to a friend of your friend to get information about you and much harder for you to track.

I've got my privacy controls all set up. I even created a fake account just so I can log in and look up my real FB page, just so I can view it from another person's point of view (who is not added to my friends list). And none of my personal information is displayed publicly, so my FB and all its information is unseen by public.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 3:46 pm

Facebook is not social-media, facebook is commercial-media

Mark Zuckerberg main goal is to satisfied his hunger to dollars, for himself, en for his shareholders.
The 85% of crap on his commercial-media is poison for the IQ of humans.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:06 pm

I use Facebook. Have for a while. I'm not a big fan of how nasty and horrible people are to each other on it in public page comments, because they're either just horrible people in general or they're cowards that feel safe being a dick to people over the internet.

I also hate the Autoplay videos, there are times where the sudden noise really bothers me to the point of causing pins and needles pain all over my body.

The amount of ads is getting really off-putting. I see more ads and "suggested" crap than my friend's actual posts and it's getting to the point where I don't even go on Facebook anymore.

I am a Bookwyrm.

wombashkaya.fukovchi
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2018, 1:03 pm

Everything that kitesandtrainsandcats has posted.
I got rid of mine early 2016 after it demanded that I send them a picture of a valid photo ID to prove that the name I was using was mine. I'd heard they were doing it to other people-lots of my friends had to change their names from outlandish ones to more plausible ones around this time. This is discrimination against: anyone trying to run away from an abusive relationship, anyone who has or has ever had a stalker, or just anyone who never wants to see anyone they went to school with again.
I got rid of it because I'd noticed that my attention span was shot to bits, my short term memory was deteriorating, and it was taking me about twice as long to read a book as it used to. I consider myself lucky that I have the capacity to notice changes in my cognitive function over time-many people lack this and are unaware of the ways that their brains are being rewired. It is addictive and designed to be so.
The use of individually targeted social media advertising is also something that concerns me greatly. The conservative party spent 10 times more on this form of advertising in the run-up to the last election than their nearest competitors. I would go so far as to say that it may be the biggest reason that they are still in power.
Although these last few weeks I've been thinking about getting a new account-my phone died and I lost everyone's numbers, plus I'm not doing so well with phones/emailing people etc at the moment (and for the last few months really, it comes and goes like every other thing.) I really don't want to do this, but there are a lot of people who I have no other way of contacting, times are hard and I'm lonely. *torn*

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 4:05 am

I dislike Facebook for a number of reasons.

1. The idea was stolen and the thief was rewarded for it.
2. They once set everyone's privacy settings to public because they thought it was a good idea.
3. As another poster said, it's not social media (any longer) but commercial media.
4. I know I have a social network deficit. I don't need to be continually reminded of it.
5. I believe it has had a net detrimental effect on society.
6. I do not have control of content involving myself that other members post.
7. It's a wall in the echo chamber of the internet.
8. Marketers. Facebook's profit is advertising revenue and I wouldn't mind so much if I were shown ads that were relevant to me but to this day I have not.

I use Facebook because...

1. It provides a venue for contacts with some individuals I would otherwise not have contact with.
2. It's often the fastest way to get customer service from a company.

But I do believe it is falling out of favor. It's not popular with the younger generations. It's seen as a social platform for their parents and old people and I've noticed that a lot of it's long time users have moved on and it's aging user base seems to use it less and less often except those who don't have much going on in their lives. I know my cousin doesn't have any work when he starts making excessive posts on Facebook.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2018, 9:57 am

I first went on Facebook about ten years ago but I didn't use my real name (I made up a ridiculous one, this was when FB allowed you to use basically whatever name you wanted) and I thought it was a sham back then. I still have a FB account but again, with a made up name and no data or photos on it. I use it on occasion to see what other people in my life are doing but otherwise I don't use the account. My own experience is that FB is basically a data mining scheme (like the rest of social media) and it was designed like that from day one. I won't go into how people act on FB too much but I will say that the site attracts the bottom of the barrel, to be honest. If I am dealing with someone in real life who is very active on Facebook then my own impression of them is that they are a jerkoff and I usually tend to be right on that, more or less.

Facebook and its clones certainly haven't made society nicer, or smarter for that matter. It's kind of funny how people on social media think that they are these smart, 'antiestablishment' types when in reality they're basically working for the 'man'. Given Silicon Valley's ties to and history with the DOD this is no surprise to me.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 6:54 am

I think I have the same predjudice against Twitter. (I use Facebook a fair amount, but never got the hang of Twitter.) I have this image of Twitter as this swarming pit of trolls, griefers and celebrity-obsessed stalkers, mainly because you get some horrific stories in the news about it. But my friends and acquaintances who use it say they've never encountered anything like that.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 9:00 am

aikoinazuma wrote:
I first went on Facebook about ten years ago but I didn't use my real name (I made up a ridiculous one, this was when FB allowed you to use basically whatever name you wanted) and I thought it was a sham back then. I still have a FB account but again, with a made up name and no data or photos on it. I use it on occasion to see what other people in my life are doing but otherwise I don't use the account.

I recently set my account to be deleted, but I've considered creating another account like this just access to participate in groups or maybe Facebook Marketplace.

It's irritating to me how Facebook tends to mix so many social circles or other things together. My brother Private Messaged me because he just saw me Like a candidate he didn't like. Also because of that, that candidate appeared in his advertising on the side as a Suggested Page. The same will happen if I joined a Group, even if private, it may become a Suggested Group to other people. I got tired of feeling like I have to police myself by not joining groups or following certain pages.

So I may create a new account to participate in those groups and purposefully not Friend anyone.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 7:26 pm

https://www.demorgen.be/technologie/de- ... -b660f72e/

Maybe the average-american dont notice because there money-media is only positive about there clients.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 1:52 am

Facebook has a reputation for silencing conservative voices and those who don't go along with the ultra-liberal views of its CEO.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jan 2019, 6:53 am

DystopianShadows wrote:
Facebook has a reputation for silencing conservative voices and those who don't go along with the ultra-liberal views of its CEO.
I'm mad at FB because they sold out by allowing Russians to buy adds that helped Trump get elected.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 1:44 am

It's not stigma, it's facts. They helped elect Trump, they spy on more or less the entire world in order to improve their profits, they sell anything they know about anyone & never compensate them.

For that matter, Mark Zuckerburg is not ultra-liberal, he's creating a surveillance state & undermining everyone's ability to learn from each other on the internet.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:03 am

cberg wrote:
It's not stigma, it's facts. They helped elect Trump, they spy on more or less the entire world in order to improve their profits, they sell anything they know about anyone & never compensate them.

For that matter, Mark Zuckerburg is not ultra-liberal, he's creating a surveillance state & undermining everyone's ability to learn from each other on the internet.

This is absolutely right. Mr Zuckerberg is not the harmless, eccentric nerd he puts on an act of being; he's potentially one of the most dangerous - and the most powerful - men on Earth, whose true colours have shown more than once. In his own words, people who trust him are "dumb f*cks" (asterisk is mine).