Why does Facebook have such bad stigma?

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 6:10 pm

I've noticed that people who don't use Facebook much or at all think that it is this place where everybody in the world knows your name, your identity and every single thing you post. Also people say it's fake and pathetic and all this. Yes there are some people out there who use Facebook stupidly to stalk, boast and lie, but people can be like that too in real life.
And people criticise others for posting trivial things like "I am going for a walk", but personally I don't see a problem with that. OK it does get annoying when people post trivial stuff on their timeline several times an hour, but I don't have those types in my friends list.

People without a Facebook account think that Facebook is totally not private at all, when in actual fact there are several options on what you want to be seen by who, and you can block people if you want and stuff.

So people are always saying "oh don't post that we're going on holiday, it will encourage burglars!" but if your timeline is hidden from public and the people you do have in your friends list are people who you know anyway, and you have a secure password, then how's that more risky than verbally telling friends and colleagues that you are going away on holiday? I mean, I might tell a work colleague that I'm going on holiday, then that person might tell someone who I don't know that well, and they might have a rough idea of my address and someone dodgy might hear about it, and then break into my house and rob - without me even touching Facebook. So it works the same way in real life too if you think about it, but everybody still attaches the stigma to Facebook.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 9:09 am

I never understood it either. With the site having been around for more than a decade, you'd think that stereotype would be old news.

Funny how people tend to only say that about Facebook and not Twitter or other such sites, though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 1:39 pm

Yes, I've noticed that it just seems to be Facebook and not other social media like Twitter. It's like people make Facebook out to be a sin.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 3:55 pm

I'll tell you why.

I've been using it for a year now (I'm a late adopter because I knew that, whatever my intentions, I would quickly turn it into a bully pulpit for whatever I wanted to say); I'm still struggling to learn the privacy settings. I *THINK* I have it fixed so only "Friends" can see what is posted to my timeline (and not "Friends of Friends (and then Friends of Friends of Friends... ad infinitum) if Friends comment or react to a post")...

...but I'm honestly not sure. The only things I KNOW (or anyway think I know) is that if I set something to "Only Me," then it really does mean "ONLY ME," and private messages are private. Except of course from anyone who happens to use the computer if I've forgotten to log out. And the government, the police, and anyone else with the authority to demand access to them. And in the event that someone screenshots a message string and shares it with the general public. I don't do more than make chitchat with any people who would do that. I don't think. I know I'm not the best judge of character, um... and that's why I think autistics in particular dislike Facebook.

I'm not real good with tech... but I am pretty good at following simple step-by-step instructions, and I've watched all the privacy setting tutorials, and I'm still uncertain.

It's almost like they're INTENTIONALLY complicated.

Yes, I know A LOT of people who use it entirely for "humblebragging" and "image-crafting" and other virtual extensions of stupid human social behavior. As my husband shouted one night when I'd posted something a little too political or too personal relating to personal struggles, "Facebook IS image-crafting, you stupid c**t!!" Honestly, he's right. It's a good tool for sharing things with an entire group of people very quickly, whether those things are updates on your vacation or pics of the kids' first day of school or opinions you wish to open up to a group discussion or struggles you wish more people knew that more people have or cries for a little psychological first aid...

...and it's also a tool for data mining, all manner of spying, and snap judgments by people looking to make snap judgments, be those gossipy high-school girls or potential or current employers or something both more paranoid and more nefarious.

And that's another reason why I sometimes think it's actually nefarious, and definitely another reason why I think it's inherently dangerous to autistics, and on some level we know that and instinctively dislike it.

At the end of the day, it's the tool you make it...

...but that "you" is decidedly PLURAL. Even when it's your (second person possessive, singular) personal page.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:08 pm

Because it's so popular people think they're "edgy" if they say they shun it.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

I like Facebook too. It's an easy way to message a whole group of people.

I like that can block a post from certain people if I know I'm writing something that will annoy them.

I had one friend always moaning at me that I shouldn't write things about feeling sad on Facebook, but I've found out that I have friends who feel the same because they have responded and then we've arranged to spend time together.

I deleted the friend who was trying to police what I wrote. It obviously made her uncomfortable and I wasn't going to change the way I used the platform. I also didn't like her bossing me and telling me what I should say.

I try and post funny and entertaining things mostly. Little observations about my day. I like to make people laugh.

I wish more people would post things. It would make it more fun.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:01 am

Chichikov wrote:

I don't even know what Facebook is, and don't consider myself 'edgy'.

:nerdy:

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:20 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

I don't even know what Facebook is, and don't consider myself 'edgy'.

:nerdy:

Facebook is a website that North Americans are very passionate about :lol:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 1:16 pm

It has stigma because people act like idiots on it, because the security controls can be difficult to figure out, because Facebook tracks people, sells their information, and makes it difficult to delete an account.

Also it's not really like real life because, in your burglar example, someone could just look at your Facebook posts (especially if you can't figure out the security controls) which is much easier than talking to a friend of your friend to get information about you and much harder for you to track.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 2:11 am

starkid wrote:
It has stigma because people act like idiots on it, because the security controls can be difficult to figure out, because Facebook tracks people, sells their information, and makes it difficult to delete an account.

Also it's not really like real life because, in your burglar example, someone could just look at your Facebook posts (especially if you can't figure out the security controls) which is much easier than talking to a friend of your friend to get information about you and much harder for you to track.

The security settings aren't that difficult. There's a dropdown menu on all posts that lets you select who can see it. Public, friends or a group of names you select yourself.
There are loads of howtos online.

It's improved a lot in the past 10 years.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 3:53 am

I have several personal grudges against Facebook, the first one was from this in 2015; oh, Very Important - read the over two-thousand angry comments since then with not much of any response from FB.
Malware Checkpoint for Facebook
July 10, 2012 at 9:20am
https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/malware-checkpoint-for-facebook/10150902333195766/
How they say it worked in their 2012 post was NOT the way it worked in 2015.
And I found no post from FB detailing changes.

Quote:
If you are concerned that your device may have been infected by malware, you can visit http://on.fb.me/infectedMSE or http://on.fb.me/infectedMcA to be self-enrolled in either our Microsoft Security Essentials or McAfee Scan and Repair malware checkpoints.
Now, with our new self-enrollment malware checkpoint, you will be able to proactively obtain your choice of a free anti-virus product to scan and clean your system.

We currently offer two products for all of our users: McAfee's Scan and Repair and Microsoft's Security Essentials.

Self enrollment? NO. It was forced on me out of the blue - "Your system has malware" and you will download this program you've never heard of or we will lock your account and not let you back on.
And just like many of the commenters, other people could get on FB on my computer just fine, but when I tried to log in to my main account, all of a sudden my system had malware.
Okay, so I'll try my secondary FB account.
Well what do ya know, all of a sudden my system is miraculously free of malware.
Hmm, lets open a different browser and try my main account again, well how about that, all of a sudden my system miraculously has malware again - for that account
When I tried to log in to my main account on other people's computers, on the public library's computers, up comes "your system has malware" and I couldn't log in. Someone else tries to log in to their FB right after me on the very same computer in the very same browser window, once again, the system is suddenly miraculously free of malware.

And what was Really, Really, Really, interesting was that 5 different antimalware programs, among them Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, and Hijack This, plus an IT professional (who was Totally Not from Geek Squad!), repeatedly found NO malware on my system.

Umm, NO, that was NOT what happened,
Quote:
"Before the actual malware scan with McAfee, a person can abort by checking a box that says, "I certify that I have run the Anti-Virus software and that my computer no longer has any malware." Doing so sends the person to their Facebook news feed. "

https://www.pcworld.com/article/259216/facebook_security_checkpoint_hits_roadblock.html
What happened was, "You will download the program we tell you to or else."

I hadn't heard of the one they were demanding, extorting?, so I went an looked it up.
Found this ---> Oh, really, FB???? You can't tell me that you people do not know this program has issues.
Quote:
"Cons Very difficult installation on several test systems. Scan process rendered one system unbootable, requiring over a week to repair. No URL-level blocking of malicious websites.

Bottom Line

If you can guarantee you're installing it on a clean PC, F-Secure Anti-Virus 2014 can be a great choice. However, getting it to install and scan already-infested systems was a nightmare."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425112,00.asp
{note, last time I looked, last year, that web page had since been updated with more recent version of the program}
Umm, no, No, and Hell No! I will NOT download THAT program. Not going to happen.

Okay, my main account was locked because of Farce Book's hallucination that my system had malware.
Used my secondary FB account just fine for about a month after that, until...
this from 2013 happened to me in 2015 ...
Quote:
"Thousands of Facebook users have vented their fury at the social media site on Twitter after they were locked out of the site, and were requested to provide “Government ID” to log back in. Similar mass lockouts have occurred on Facebook in the past, most recently in January this year. At that time, the ID request was in response to claims that users’ accounts had been hacked. “This is just a general practice for both Facebook and Instagram to request photo IDs for verification purposes depending on what type of violation may have occurred,” Facebook said at the time. This is the first mass lockout and ID request to have taken place since the NSA government data trawling revelations, and it seems to have outraged users to a greater extent. Facebook has issued a statement to The Drum to apologise for the error."
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/10/29/ ... 51viRHm.99

I was off Fb from 2015 until June 2017, this year, when a couple friends sweet-talked me in to trying it again.
Several things happened where I was about 1/3 a nanosecond from kissing FB adios, but again, friends pushed the right buttons to get me to stay.
It was about 6 weeks from re-joining till FB pulled something else not exactly kosher and locked me out again.

Okay, that's it, I am done with Zuckerberg and his goons.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:06 am

and then there is this from July 2014,

Quote:
There may be no company on Earth more experienced at saying "we're sorry, but not really" than Facebook.

The latest example concerns the company's now-infamous 2012 psychological experiment on nearly 700,000 unwitting users, which broke into public consciousness over the weekend when its researchers published their findings in a scientific journal.

Speaking in New Delhi, according to the Wall Street Journal, Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg said the following:

"This was part of ongoing research companies do to test different products, and that was what it was; it was poorly communicated. And for that communication we apologize. We never meant to upset you."

This apology deserves a score of 0.0. What has people upset isn't how Facebook "communicated" the study--it never communicated anything about it until now, two and a half years after the secret study was conducted. As for claiming "we never meant to upset you," arguably the study was designed to upset users--the company manipulated posts in their news feeds to raise and lower their moods.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-facebook-apology-20140702-column.html

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:08 am

and this from 2011, https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2011/11/facebook-settles-ftc-charges-it-deceived-consumers-failing-keep

Quote:
The social networking service Facebook has agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it deceived consumers by telling them they could keep their information on Facebook private, and then repeatedly allowing it to be shared and made public. The proposed settlement requires Facebook to take several steps to make sure it lives up to its promises in the future, including giving consumers clear and prominent notice and obtaining consumers' express consent before their information is shared beyond the privacy settings they have established.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:10 am

and this from 2016, https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10712 ... arch-trust

Quote:
Now comes the news that Facebook deceived users into thinking its Android app was broken, to see whether they would abandon the service or simply switch to using the inferior mobile website. Former Facebook data scientist JJ Maxwell defended the move to me, saying on Twitter such tests are "hugely valuable" to the company. "Their prerogative," he said. Maxwell likened it to Walmart removing parking from their store to test the effect of varying levels of parking on sales.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:13 am

And from 2016, Facebook lies to its paying customers, the advertisers, just like it lies to its users,

Quote:
Ad buying agency Publicis PUBGY -0.12% Media was told by Facebook that the earlier counting method likely overestimated average time spent watching videos by between 60% and 80%, according to a late August letter Publicis Media sent to clients that was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-o ... 1474586951

Quote:
Siding against Facebook, a federal judge has refused to dismiss a lawsuit against Facebook over allegations of inflated video metrics.

U.S. District Court Judge Thelton Henderson in the Northern District of California ruled late last week that a group of six marketers can proceed with claims that the social networking platform violated an implied contractual obligation to use "reasonable care."

The court battle stems from revelations that Facebook misreported two metrics related to its video ads. The result of both errors was that Facebook inflated the average time spent viewing ad clips by 60% to 80%. The company said last September that its mistaken calculations didn't affect billing. (This spring, Facebook acknowledged that it also overstated the number of times consumers clicked on some mobile ads; the company said it had issued refunds to affected advertisers.)

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/ ... trics.html

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 16 Sep 2017, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:15 am

and Facebook lies to governments too

Quote:
Facebook was caught out providing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission officials inaccurate and inflated estimates of the number of its users and ultimately its worth just a week before the company's disastrous IPO, it emerged today.

A flurry of 12 letters between the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Facebook depict a reluctant management team repeatedly playing cat-and-mouse over official requests to release figures and in the end being forced to withdraw information that was in reality guess work at best.

Most damning is the suspicion that Facebook did not have accurate figures for the number of smartphone users who use its application and intentionally held back the real, significantly lower figures, until only a week before the $104 billion IPO on May 18th.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215855/Revealed-How-Facebook-gave-officials--inflated-estimates-number-users-just-week-disastrous-IPO.html