How to explain my issues to my teachers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ShannonM041504
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2017, 3:47 am

I have problems involving noises and it's really effecting my school. A lot of the time the noise is just too much and I can't concentrate so I end up getting at most 1 assignment done, 2 if I'm lucky. My teachers seem to think I'm just lazy, understandably so but it's not that. In fact, I love learning new things and I truly do care about my school it's just hard when you can't concentrate on your work. I don't want them to think I'm being lazy but I don't want them to think I'm an idiot. I am very good at processing information and I do excellent on multiple choice but when it isn't multiple choice and I must write things in detail and pull the answers out of mid air I get stressed out because unlike multiple choice you have thousands of possibilities with multiple choice it's narrowed down to up to 4 answers so I don't worry as much and it's easier. I'm not dumb, I'm not lazy I just get distracted by the slightest noise when thinking really really hard but they don't know that. I want to explain to them but I'm embarrassed by my issues and I'm kinda too embarrassed to say anything about it. Any advice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

What sort of school do you attend? Where are you located? Are you in any sort of "special ed"? If in the United States, do you have an IEP?

If you're in a "regular" middle school in the United States, and don't have an IEP, I would try to talk to a "resource" teacher or guidance counselor. I say "try" because (especially in the case of the guidance counselor) they "just don't want to hear it" frequently. Or maybe try to speak with the school psychologist.

Or you can ask for a meeting with a teacher, especially if the teacher seems like he/she is meeting with other students. Always emphasize that you're trying your best, and say something pertinent to the subject that the teacher is teaching. For example, if you're doing a unit on Andrew Jackson, talk about what you think of his childhood. Teachers almost always like students who seem to be "listening." They usually feel more inspired to help them.

Especially if you have a good relationship with your parents, you could ask you parents to intervene on your behalf---talk to the teacher, the school psychologist, whoever deals with student concerns.

If you have an IEP in the United States, you probably have more options.

AlyssJJJ1
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 9:50 am

I have heard about this issue a lot. It`s a real problem for schoolers of all ages. I think you should go to the doctor and get a special paper about your disease. Because all they think that you can't write that book report due tomorrow of being lazy and don`t even consider you to have such problems. So don`t hesitate to ask a doctor and tell your teachers all the truth.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 10:52 pm

Ask if you can talk to your teachers after class. That way your classmates don't have to know about your issues. Your teachers have probably had students with disabilities before, not necessarily autism but something. They'll understand.

TheGreatEscapist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm

If you are too embarrassed to outright talk to them about it, writing them an email might be a less uncomfortable alternative. You really shouldn't continue on like that. I totally understand not being comfortable talking to your teacher about stuff like that, I am kind of the same way, but you just have to go for it. Maybe you can ask if you can where noise cancelling headphones or something like that. Otherwise I don't know what too tell you.