Parent of 26yr old with Autism- Need help

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JustinsMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2017, 10:42 pm

My 26 yr old son with Autism really needs a friend to talk to. Where is the best place to find other young adults with Autism to make friends with? He feels like he's alone in the world and he will never have a true friend. any advice?

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 4:42 am

What has he tried so far to make friends?

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

Here. Or with one of his special interests. If he likes trains or buses try to find some events or train museums, etc where he could connect.
Perhaps your area has an autism group that meets from time to time. My area has one, even though we are a small area. They meet once a month and hold different activities. I think these are geared toward the younger autists, but they also have a parental support group. Reach out. Good luck!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 3:47 pm

Somewhere in your state I'm pretty sure there is at least one decent game store that holds Magic (the game) nights. Friends of our family moved to NC and their son is a big Magic player. Point being, a lot of ASD individuals are into games like that and game nights are a social outlet, where at least your son could start to make some limited connections.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

What is he interested in? I have been able to use my interests to make friends. Twenty-six isn't too late to start. I was in my late 40s when I first began my emergence into the world.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 3:40 am

Maybe get him on here, or into ASAN, the Autistic Self Advocacy Network. He'll meet all kinds of autistics there! Or any pro-neurodiversity autism group.

I'd talk to him. I'm a 29-year-old female. :)

nomad42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2017, 5:29 pm

IstominFan wrote:
What is he interested in? I have been able to use my interests to make friends. Twenty-six isn't too late to start. I was in my late 40s when I first began my emergence into the world.

How did that happen? Did you meet some one who brought you out of your shell? I felt like I was making progress in 2006 but lately I feel like I'm going backwards.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2017, 5:18 pm

Long distance running is good if he's up to it. He needs a good dad to be around to spend time with him, that helps.

Kind Regards, Nay.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:49 pm

Get him to join a long distance running club.