Why do people think the "Young Turks" are important?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 4:48 pm

sly279 wrote:
They seemed super supportive of her during the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irj8JvfRkIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izl0e4xvgGA

There's a whole bunch more related to that scandal, which TYT broke before any mainstream, right-wing or left-wing media mentioned it.

You might also watch to pay attention to Jimmy Dore, who's regularly as critical (or more) on the establishment/corporocratic Dems as he is on the right.

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
I don't know anything about them but my (Nazi) dad said they really broke down when Hillary lost, and he was laughing at them.

I'm staying away from the alt-right and the alt-left, personally. When something becomes so extreme that it defeats the purpose of its own existence, it's time to look elsewhere.

There is no "alt-left". It's a term created by the far-right in an attempt to create equivalency between the self-proclaimed alt-right (named after the white supremacist website Alternative Right) and their opponents. It's not objective to call things even when they're not.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

The Young Turks are capitalists. They know next to nothing about left wing political philosophy.

EzraS wrote:
Surely there is more sophisticated better produced source for that than TYT.

Crimethinc.

Democracy Now!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm

RushKing wrote:
The Young Turks are capitalists. They know next to nothing about left wing political philosophy.

Yes, they do support capitalism to a certain degree.

Here's the thing. They are usually right. Nobody is always right.

Plus, I've never seen them lash out at the far-left. Clearly, they don't mind us.

Quote:
EzraS wrote:
Surely there is more sophisticated better produced source for that than TYT.

Crimethinc.

Democracy Now!

Yes, those are better. This doesn't mean that TYT is bad.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 10:34 pm

Another good reason why TYT are important; if you're looking for a way to pin Venezuela's descent into chaos on Maduro - Chenk's got ya covered (although I'm glad to hear they are blasting Chavez a little).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin