Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Dhevix
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm

Hi, a friend of mine tells me that if I am diagnosed with aspergers after my asessment tomorrow, I will not be able to get a chest reduction.

I'm in the UK and I've already encountered a gp who said that I am 'probably just fixating' based on the fact I was even possibly getting diagnosed, despite the fact I've had dysphoria since puberty. I am agender, feel far more male than female.

I'm really distressed by this. I am kicking myself now for pursuing a diagnosis at all. :(

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

I can't see a diagnosis affecting this. Easiest way to get a reduction is if they're so big they're affecting your quality of life and health. Having AS isn't going to change that.

If they're not overly large then go get a reduction will mean going through some kind of program where something like your AS (if that's what you have) will be taken into account to ensure it's not a driving factor.

Dhevix
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2017, 12:48 pm

They're pretty huge. I'm a 30F at 5ft1 uk size 6. I can't buy bras in most shops and a binder won't hide them totally, but since I don't have major back pain it seems it would go to committee.

The gp who told me I was probably fixating said I would probably get rejected, despite me telling her it had been an issue for a long time that impacts my mental wellbeing.

It feels like the very possibility of having as made her treat me with suspicion.

It's certainly not a driving factor if I even have it, but it seems impossible to prove otherwise.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:20 am

Honestly, around queer issues, too many people talk too much shite, even among "professionals."
The psych clearance is mostly to make sure you are not pursuing this path out of mental illness. Being autistic is not a mental illness. Especially if you are not intellectually disabled or legally judged to be not competent. If you are clear about what you want and are well-informed, they have to give you a reason why they reject you (if they do). You have the right to challenge that, and seek a second opinion.
In regard to selecting professionals who are going to help rather than hinder you, make sure you're seeing someone LGBT friendly, and informed themselves. Finding the right people can make a lot of difference to how much "gatekeeping" you'll get.
I was cleared for transition despite insisting the whole way that I am genderqueer. Everyone told me I had to say I was a binary gender opposite to my birth assignation or I would be rejected. They were, as noted, talking shite.
People told me I could not have GRS if I was not after a cisgender result. They were wrong, and I am proceeding toward that end.
In fact in hospital next to me when I was having some of my reassignment done, there was a cisgender woman who was having a breast reduction, and when I overheard her talking on the phone, she was saying she had it done because it negatively affected her self-image and self confidence to have such large breasts. Nothing trans about it. If you are really so worried that they will deny you based on trans issues, you could even opt for a cis reasoning, and claim they are affecting your self image and comfort with your body - which is just as true for a trans person with big breasts.
There are ways around these hoops. If you are diagnosed autistic and still wish to progress with transition, you can find ways to do so with the right medical help.

torch_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2017, 8:49 pm

Are you having a reduction or complete mastectomy?

I'm diagnosed with autism and the GIC had no issue with referring me for chest surgery. I had double mastectomy 2 months ago. I don't know if they would be keen to refer for just a reduction on the NHS through the GIC and you may have to pay out of pocket for that. If you can get a reduction through your GP you'd be lucky. They'd have to actually be a medical issue ie too large and cause back problems, to be referred that way.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

You are only looking to get them reduced and not removed completely???