Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

BetterNameToCome
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2017, 3:37 pm

I am a seventeen year old girl. I have never been officially diagnosed, but I have a lot of autistic relatives and have wondered whether I was as well for a while now. Recently I have been far more social than previously and I think it was all a bit much or something since some slight maybe issues with my senses exploded into an almost constant state of over stimulation and hyposensetivity. It has improved a bit over the last few weeks, so i guess that's good. My problem now is the sense of isolation that comes with this. I have tried to talk to my sister about it, who is autistic, but she doesn't believe I am so is uncomfortable when I try to talk about it. My neurotypical friends don't understand how to talk about it and are clearly uncomfortable whenever I try and talk about it. So, yeah.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 2:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 2:35 pm

BetterNameToCome wrote:
I am a seventeen year old girl. I have never been officially diagnosed, but I have a lot of autistic relatives and have wondered whether I was as well for a while now. Recently I have been far more social than previously and I think it was all a bit much or something since some slight maybe issues with my senses exploded into an almost constant state of over stimulation and hyposensetivity. It has improved a bit over the last few weeks, so i guess that's good. My problem now is the sense of isolation that comes with this. I have tried to talk to my sister about it, who is autistic, but she doesn't believe I am so is uncomfortable when I try to talk about it. My neurotypical friends don't understand how to talk about it and are clearly uncomfortable whenever I try and talk about it. So, yeah.

Welcome!

Have you completed any self-reported screening tests? Here are a few good ones:

https://www.wired.com/2001/12/aqtest/

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

http://www.aspietests.org/raads/

Screening is a good way to decide whether or not an individual wants to pursue a diagnosis. Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

I'm sorry you feel isolated, I know I feel the same way. It's hard to have such a different view of your surroundings compared to your neurotypical friends. Just understand, they may not be uncomfortable talking about your feeling of isolation, they might just be uncomfortable because they don't know what advice to give and because they recognize they have an inability to understand what you're going through. That's why you shouldn't consider them less of a friend because of this limitation. Those of us on the spectrum only know what it's like because we experience it minute by minute, hour by hour.

I'm not sure what resources you have available to you, but it might be best to talk with somebody who isn't a friend or family member. Both eliminate that emotional connection that can make for a more impartial analysis of what your feeling, and can result in a better understanding of what your going through. Perhaps you know a pastor/youth minister in your church, or you could talk to a counselor who has knowledge of Aspergers?

Magpie_01
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2017, 3:40 am

BetterNameToCome wrote:

Hi and welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

I know what you mean .. when I'm more social I get overwhelmed and exhausted a lot quicker than usual and I need so much more time to recharge ... I think it's important to find the middle ground. I think it's unhealthy to exhaust yourself just to be social and "fit in" but at the same time being isolated is damaging in so many ways.