Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2017, 5:01 pm

I have a couple years teaching experience but my bachelors degree is in something else. I'm thinking of going back for a masters so I can teach. I just worry I'm not going to like it as my forever job.

I live near the school my kids go to. Somehow I've developed a bit of a negative relationship (I think) with the school and staff, despite my best efforts. This is where I want to teach because my kids go here. How in the world can I turn this relationship around? I am s**t at social situations and my son has autism too and they're just not very helpful or think I'm being dramatic. Maybe I should just give up my hopes of working at THIS school and look elsewhere. Thoughts?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 5:06 pm

Maybe this is a UK thing but when you were a kid literally the worst thing that could happen was that your parent(s) would work there as teachers.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 7:22 am

Chichikov wrote:
Maybe this is a UK thing but when you were a kid literally the worst thing that could happen was that your parent(s) would work there as teachers.

That wasn't the case where I went to school. In fact, one kid had has own mother as the teacher and was the class bully too.

As for autistic teacher, I am beyond convinced that my High School math teacher is autistic. He showed all the signs and while he wasn't the most well liked teacher, I absolutely loved being in his class. I later found out that a group of kids severely beat him for no apparent reason: he was the sweetest, kindest teacher I ever had and bent over backwards to help his students. He even showed rock solid integrity that I will never forget when another sociopath math teacher took over and continued to mentor me one on one, someone who was no longer his student and refused to take any payment or gift for it.The world needs more teachers like him. He is probably retired and I hope he has a happy retirement: nobody deserves it more than him.

As for our particular situation, when I was a high school student my first year English teacher had it out for me. I had no idea why (probably because she was a man hating feminist) but I eventually just swallowed my pride and told her I apologized for anything I did wrong and wished to get on the right foot and to have a good relationship. From that point on, we had no problem and she even wrote on my report card "once he decided to focus on his studies and be a positive influence, it has been a pleasure working with him". Still can't figure out what I did differently other than the "apology".

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2017, 10:55 pm

I'm a substitute teacher as a part-time, part-time gig for some extra money.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:37 am

At my schools relatives weren't allowed to teach relatives, or even often be in the same class as another student who was a relative.

A lot of autistics are professors in things they are obsessed with; I know one on Facebook who is a professor of autism or something. She's an activist too, for neurodiversity.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2017, 7:09 am

My mother is a teacher and she works in the same secondary school my siblings and I went to (actually, my little brother still studies there). She never had us as her students, though, because she was not allowed to teach in our classes. She has had some issues with some of her coworkers, but she usually acts as though she didn't care (she doesn't need the money because my father is our household's primary breadwinner, thus she considers her job a paying hobby and wouldn't be too concerned to lose it). And somehow, not caring seems to give her some power.

As for me, I'm a 21-year-old aspie about to finish a course of studies on translation. I live in Argentina and this year I've started to work as a private teacher of English as a second language in an institute. This is my first working experience and I only work three hours a week. I intend to take on more hours next year after I graduate and then move on to teach in a primary school near home when I get confident with my experience.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135