Eliminating Personal Belief Exemptions for Vaccines -

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 12:49 pm

In the US routine childhood vaccination is required for entry into public school, and in some states even private school. This is a reasonable public health policy. Vaccination not only protects the individual against common infectious diseases, but when enough people get vaccinated this creates community immunity (often referred to as herd immunity) which protects everyone.

Any parent knows first hand that children are seething vectors for germs. Their concept of hygiene, generally speaking, is often not the same as the average adult. Put a large group of children together in a close environment like a school, and you have basically created a disease factory.

Further, some children cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. They may have a chronic illness that makes their immune systems too weak to handle the vaccine, or they have an intolerance to vaccines. For these children, if they want to attend school, their only protection is the community immunity that results from all the more healthy children being vaccinated.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -vaccines/

Any thoughts? Should vaccines be compulsory except for those with weakened immune systems?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 1:06 pm

Nope, that violates people's rights. Likewise we all shouldn't be forced to be micro chipped. "But Micro chipping would make us all safer"

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

What if in protecting those rights harm is done to other people's children? Should individual rights trump the safety of other people's children?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 3:41 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Any thoughts? Should vaccines be compulsory except for those with weakened immune systems?

Yes.

We shouldn't let stupid idiots spread medieval diseases just because they are scared of needles.

Most of these anti-vaxxers are anti-Semites who think that Jews put chemicals in the vaccines to turn us gay or whatever.

I think that anti-vaxxers should lose custody of their children.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

I have no problem with people refusing vaccines; however, I have no objection to public and private institutions refusing access to their facilities based on vaccinations.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:48 pm

Enforcement of such policies would be daunting even to the best law-enforcement agencies (or would that be code-enforcement agencies?). Silence has been an effective tactic throughout world history. Would identifying the unvaccinated be as successful as identifying Jews in any community? You bet. Are we lunging closer to hearing "Your vaccination papers, please!" routinely? It seems so.

Nevermind that in every other kind of lawful application, "personal belief" is a protected category. Unfortunately, there are many who wish to reform the phrase and its practice into something actionable and unprotected.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 07 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:48 pm

firemonkey wrote:
What if in protecting those rights harm is done to other people's children? Should individual rights trump the safety of other people's children?

Why should their safety trump other kids rights? We'd all be safe if the government declared martial law and forbid any of us from leaving our houses. You do t give up rights and freedom for safety, you'll get eneither

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

This forum is super super progressive liberal. There's very few, like 3 maybe right leaning people here. Then maybe a few more in the center with all the others being left leaning.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 5:08 pm

So anti vaxxers believe they should have the right to harm other people's children ?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

firemonkey wrote:
So anti vaxxers believe they should have the right to harm other people's children ?

But they're not harming others children. It's slime they'd even get deadly illness in the first place, and if your child get vaccinated there's not guarantee they won't get it, the vaccine can even give it to them in some cases. You're working under false logic that someone who doesn't get vaccinated will 100% get it, but billions of people are vaccinated and don't get it. We essentially wiped out mos bad illinesses in western society, so unless so,e undocumented immigrants bring them in from outside Europe or America unvaccinated kids won't be exposed to them.
You logic will continue to be used for other stuff, stuff you might not want and feel violates your rights but the government says is needed.

Do you want to be microc chipped and tracked? Th government wants you to they say it's for our safety and safety of everyone else. Why should you put others at risk be refusing to be chipped?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 5:59 pm

Maybe vaxxers should following the legislative model developed in the 1980s and 1990s regarding HIV/AIDS infections: If an individual infects others intentionally, even I would support a sliding-scale of prosecution (though intentionally infecting someone with your sniffles would barely rank). But, if an individual infects others unintentionally, that just called "life." The only strategy against that experience is knowledge and wisdom.

It has been said that the Constitution for the United States of America doesn't protect people against getting their feelings hurt. Our various laws, regulations, statutes, rules, ordinances and policies should be expected to be equally lacking in prosecution against the mild interactions of life.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 6:44 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Enforcement of such policies would be daunting even to the best law-enforcement agencies (or would that be code-enforcement agencies?). Silence has been an effective tactic throughout world history. Would identifying the unvaccinated be as successful as identifying Jews in any community? You bet. Are we lunging closer to hearing "Your vaccination papers, please!" routinely? It seems so.

Nevermind that in every other kind of lawful application, "personal belief" is a protected category. Unfortunately, there are many who wish to reform the phrase and its practice into something actionable and unprotected.
''

I recently applied to go back to college.

I had to provide proof of MMR vaccination.

I had no problem doing so.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 7:25 pm

If we did decide to go the way of government legally enforcing vaccinations that would would need to be part-in-parcel with solid evidence of that vaccine's universal safety.

I think what's probably a better plan - within the next decade or two we'll probably deep enough into genetic medicine that we'll probably know something about which people should get medical exemption from certain shots based on that data. Other than that I'd agree with xfiles - rights come with responsibilities and if you don't vaccinate your children and certain facilities want to practice their right of refusal on those terms it's perfectly fair for them to do so.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:01 pm

^ Agreed.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:15 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
If we did decide to go the way of government legally enforcing vaccinations that would would need to be part-in-parcel with solid evidence of that vaccine's universal safety.

I think what's probably a better plan - within the next decade or two we'll probably deep enough into genetic medicine that we'll probably know something about which people should get medical exemption from certain shots based on that data. Other than that I'd agree with xfiles - rights come with responsibilities and if you don't vaccinate your children and certain facilities want to practice their right of refusal on those terms it's perfectly fair for them to do so.

True but public schools wouldn't be alowed to violate a person rights. Private schools could refuse to take unvaccinated kids all they want. It is their right. Public schools are government ran and thus can't violate citizens rights.
That's why I can carry a gun in public buildings besides federal ones.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

''

I recently applied to go back to college.

I had to provide proof of MMR vaccination.

I had no problem doing so.

Often the same if you want to apply for a visa.

I have no problem with discrimination against the unvaccinated as long as it is reasonable (in limited circumstances and with proper exceptions). The "right to not get a vaccination" only means the government can't go around sticking needles in your arm against your will, not that it can't say "if you want this then you have to be vaccinated".

When it comes to other people's safety, your personal beliefs are not important.