Eliminating Personal Belief Exemptions for Vaccines -

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Enforcement of such policies would be daunting even to the best law-enforcement agencies (or would that be code-enforcement agencies?). Silence has been an effective tactic throughout world history. Would identifying the unvaccinated be as successful as identifying Jews in any community? You bet. Are we lunging closer to hearing "Your vaccination papers, please!" routinely? It seems so.

Nevermind that in every other kind of lawful application, "personal belief" is a protected category. Unfortunately, there are many who wish to reform the phrase and its practice into something actionable and unprotected.
''

I recently applied to go back to college.

I had to provide proof of MMR vaccination.

I had no problem doing so.

Often the same if you want to apply for a visa.

I have no problem with discrimination against the unvaccinated as long as it is reasonable (in limited circumstances and with proper exceptions). The "right to not get a vaccination" only means the government can't go around sticking needles in your arm against your will, not that it can't say "if you want this then you have to be vaccinated".

When it comes to other people's safety, your personal beliefs are not important.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:45 pm

We're not at the point where it's a thread to herd immunity yet. But if it starts to become a real concern, better to take the resources that would be required to enforce vaccination (which would be considerable surely) and put that into educating people about vaccines and debunking the conspiracy theories and such. Using force will just make people more suspicious and resistant.

Sameen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2017, 5:35 pm

The West today is relatively disease free and people now take it for
granted, but it hasn't always been so. We only have this today
because of vaccination programmes in the past.

https://peopleshistorynhs.org/encyclopaedia/childhood-vaccination-and-the-nhs/

In my own family my mother's sister died of tuberculosis at the age of eight. My
father's sister died of it aged 21 and my grandmother died of it in her fifties. One
of my cousins also had it as a child but recovered as they were able to treat it by
then.

Diseases like TB, measles, rubella, diphtheria and polio maim and kill. We might
be better able to treat them today than in the past, but they can easily become
epidemics, which would put a huge strain on the health services and if they
become resistant to antibiotics we would have a real problem.

As to whether vaccination should be compulsory or not, I think Drake has it right.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 8:14 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Enforcement of such policies would be daunting even to the best law-enforcement agencies (or would that be code-enforcement agencies?). Silence has been an effective tactic throughout world history. Would identifying the unvaccinated be as successful as identifying Jews in any community? You bet. Are we lunging closer to hearing "Your vaccination papers, please!" routinely? It seems so.

Nevermind that in every other kind of lawful application, "personal belief" is a protected category. Unfortunately, there are many who wish to reform the phrase and its practice into something actionable and unprotected.
''

I recently applied to go back to college.

I had to provide proof of MMR vaccination.

I had no problem doing so.

Often the same if you want to apply for a visa.

I have no problem with discrimination against the unvaccinated as long as it is reasonable (in limited circumstances and with proper exceptions). The "right to not get a vaccination" only means the government can't go around sticking needles in your arm against your will, not that it can't say "if you want this then you have to be vaccinated".

When it comes to other people's safety, your personal beliefs are not important.

Exactly.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)