Scared I'm going to die (because I believe in premonitions)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 10:01 pm

I've had premonitions in the past about friends/acquaintances dying and then they died, in one case exactly at the time when the premonitions said they'd die ("by next Tuesday"). Now I wake up in a panic and I wonder why, and I think maybe it's that I had a premonition of me or someone close to me dying and that I then wake up and don't remember anything about it but the panic. Maybe that's why I wake up in a panic... I maybe had a premonition, though I don't remember. I hope not.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 10:25 pm

I had a premonition about 9/11 and then 2 days later it happened. Scary thing was, God was in the dream, and he said he was giving us another chance, a few years to get our affairs in order, then he said he was coming back for us soon. And Edgar Cayce, who had near death experiences, and is an expert on them, predicts Montreal (where I live) will be under water, and a scientist someone I know allegedly knows says all of Canada will be under water except parts of Alberta. I feel like moving to Alberta now. A lot of the stuff that NDE experiencers predicted is coming true in the news now too.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:01 am

Well, all I can say here is that my opinion differs greatly from your opinion in some ways, similar in others.
I believe premonitions are essentially a crock of shite, and this from someone who has them ---> viewtopic.php?t=353430
There has to be some other explanation in my opinion, and I'm open to other explanations that don't take the easy psychic woo woo copout. On that wavelength, here is some rebuttal to help you stop freaking yourself out -
Just because you woke up in a panic is no reason to logically connect it (from what you wrote alone) with any kind of premonition, for a start. Could have just been your standard variety nightmare - especially if you can't recall it, as often happens. That's nothing unusual. Maybe it was a bad curry at dinner or a barking dog next door. Could be anything.
Also "by next Tuesday" isn't an exact time. These kinds of premonitions are always vague enough to seem accurate when something happens, but leave a loophole if it doesn't.
Same goes for the most famous "psychics" - they make hundreds of predictions, and when even one comes true people freak out thinking they predicted it through some psychic ability, without considering the 100 misses on the other side of that one hit. A lot of their predictions may look like they're cming true, but a lot aren't. Plus the ones that are are usually based on strong possibilities, and by charting trends. It's not exactly magical. No one can accurately predict how climate change will affect Earth's sea levels - any scientist worth the title will attest to that. At best it is the completely mundane meaning of the word "prediction."
It's not a promise or a fact. I hardly think the weak guesses of some psychic are basis enough to move.
I don't believe in the Christian god but it seems a little much to start believing he is speaking to you in your dreams, so far as I understand the concept. It's much more likely that your subconscious mind connected some Sunday School story of the second coming with all the terrorist hype that was in the media around that time. It's hardly a big leap. Human minds inherently want to see patterns where there are none, possibly even moreso with autistics.
It's not worth it to get yourself worked up with the scaremongerers and random coincidences, I think.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:20 am

I was also so scared of FEMA death camps and them putting computer chips in people's hands like some people who had NDEs claim to have seen for the future. At least they didn't see the FEMA camps.

I really hope you're right and that none of that stuff I dreamed were real premonitions. I always prepare psychologically for the worst... which means worry, worry, worry, and no actual preparing.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 7:52 am

The thing with premonitions is that we, as humans, tend to notice and remember the ones that do "come true," and those confirm our belief. But we tend to forget all about the probably many premonitions we or others have had which never did come to pass.

I've had many "correct" premonitions, but I've also had countless times when something that felt like a premonition turned out to never happen. But we mostly dismiss and put those away, let them go from our memories, and favor remembering all the times we or someone else actually got something right.

Try to remember all the times you may have had a feeling about something and nothing of the sort ever happened; thus demonstrating that not every premonition is "onto something."

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 8:16 am

I spent 30 years believing I was going to die on 22 August 2012. I didn't.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

^ Hah didn't we all. They sucked us right in with that theory !

Quote:
The thing with premonitions is that we, as humans, tend to notice and remember the ones that do "come true," and those confirm our belief. But we tend to forget all about the probably many premonitions we or others have had which never did come to pass.

I've had many "correct" premonitions, but I've also had countless times when something that felt like a premonition turned out to never happen. But we mostly dismiss and put those away, let them go from our memories, and favor remembering all the times we or someone else actually got something right.

Try to remember all the times you may have had a feeling about something and nothing of the sort ever happened; thus demonstrating that not every premonition is "onto something."

Why do you always make sense? That's happened for me too. I have had incredibly strong instincts something was going to happen, and nothing did. It seems unfair that we only remember what confirms out own bias.
@ CharityGoodyGrace - I predict you're going to be totally fine and nothing horrible is going to happen to you. And it must be true because I just predicted it :wink: :mrgreen:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 8:30 am

Lol, C2V, there are people who like to think I never make any sense at all, hahaha, so thank you for the compliment! :lol: :D

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 11:03 am

I've had premonitions.
Some of them came true in stunning detail.
But can I predict the future, or know it for sure?
No.
If I could, as the saying goes, I would have won the lottery by now,
or become a millionaire playing the stock market.

It could well be that God wants you to pray about certain situations.
It's certain that God does not want you to worry.
And not all dreams come from God ...
many times dreams come from your subconscious mind processing emotions
based on what's going on in your waking life,
or even your physical health,
or what's going on around you in your immediate environment while you sleep (noise for example).

My suggestion:
Focus more on your waking life,
and if you have a dream that troubles you, see it as a call to prayer.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 11:04 am

Can't say I ever had anything like that happen to me but I know while talking to my boyfriend about 2 weeks ago I was saying that I wasn't too excited for my birthday because I had assumed I would have been dead before 30 by means of some disease that will have killed me off.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 1:31 am

On the occasions that I am away with the fairies so to speak, I have a recurring fancy that I have perished and am actually actively experiencing what it's like to be a trapped spirit seeking meaning and reference points to scrawl onto a whiteboard so I can make a tenuous grab toward the huskily hanging rung of the ladder that is latched onto the next world over, I always come to the conclusion that they warned me I'd bite the dust if I roamed too close to the edge, sometimes I think I'm dead and it's only when you're not all here you can encounter it :dwarf: