Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:00 pm

So who else here plays bass guitar? In a band or on your own? What style of bass playing and what music? Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Musicman or Rickenbacker (including copies of each of those)? Favourite bass players?

(Not in a band but want to be, pick and fingerstyle, punk or alt rock, Fender (Squier, SX), Bruce Foxton, Michael 'Flea' Balzary, Mark Hoppus and Kim Deal)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 1:52 am

I used to play, but it's been a decade since I picked it up. I have a cheap Ibanez bass.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 5:58 am

PBL187 wrote:
So who else here plays bass guitar? In a band or on your own? What style of bass playing and what music? Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Musicman or Rickenbacker (including copies of each of those)? Favourite bass players?

(Not in a band but want to be, pick and fingerstyle, punk or alt rock, Fender (Squier, SX), Bruce Foxton, Michael 'Flea' Balzary, Mark Hoppus and Kim Deal)

Oh yeah, and what is your dream bass? Not just the brand but also the model and year/decade of issue! Mine is the Fender 2010 American Deluxe Jazz Bass

PBL187 wrote:
Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Musicman or Rickenbacker (including copies of each of those)?

Feel free to list other brands that you own/prefer, brands that make original designs or copies or somewhere in between (Fender Precision and/or Jazz bass pickups in a body of original design), such as Ibanez and Yamaha, to name a few (There are too many to list) 8)

Last edited by PBL187 on 08 Sep 2017, 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:00 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I used to play, but it's been a decade since I picked it up. I have a cheap Ibanez bass.

Did you play in bands? Are you looking to pick up that Ibanez and get back into it at some?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:18 am

PBL187 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Did you play in bands? Are you looking to pick up that Ibanez and get back into it at some?

Is it really a band when I played everything? I'm not really that interested in picking it up at the moment, same with my guitars. I keep checking every few months that my laptop still works so if I ever get back into it I'll be able to record again.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 1:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Is it really a band when I played everything? I'm not really that interested in picking it up at the moment, same with my guitars. I keep checking every few months that my laptop still works so if I ever get back into it I'll be able to record again.

I guess not, a band is 3 or more musicians playing music together on their respective instruments. If there's 2 it's a duo, if there was only you then it's a solo project. Some people prefer to do it all on their own and just record. It's only when you go live that you tend to need at least one friend and fellow musician to help you perform your songs. Graham Coxon from the band Blur tended to play everything himself in the studio but had a backing band live (he plays guitar and sings lead vocals live)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 1:16 pm

PBL187 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I guess not, a band is 3 or more musicians playing music together on their respective instruments. If there's 2 it's a duo, if there was only you then it's a solo project. Some people prefer to do it all on their own and just record. It's only when you go live that you tend to need at least one friend and fellow musician to help you perform your songs. Graham Coxon from the band Blur tended to play everything himself in the studio but had a backing band live (he plays guitar and sings lead vocals live)

I'm familiar with 'one-man bands', they're pretty common in grindcore, black metal and some other genres.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RellaBug827
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

I play da bass. Fingerstyle & slap mostly but I use a pick every now and again. I play a S.U.B Sterling, so nothing fancy, but I like what I play (Punk, Rock & Roll, Alternative).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:01 pm

RellaBug827 wrote:
I play da bass. Fingerstyle & slap mostly but I use a pick every now and again. I play a S.U.B Sterling, so nothing fancy, but I like what I play (Punk, Rock & Roll, Alternative).

I love how slap bass sounds, that's one of my favourite things about Cryptopsy is the bass player uses slap bass in death metal.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 1:30 am

I play bass on occasion, though I wouldn't necessarily call myself a bassist. But I do have a pretty good grasp of the instrument. Got a 5-string Eko recently that I'll be putting into use soon enough.

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 3:53 pm

RellaBug827 wrote:

Punk and Alternative are my favourite genres too!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

I played bass in a band until it broke up about 3 months ago! I learned the instrument specifically for an earlier incarnation of that band- I'm more an acoustic guitar player really. I'm not that advanced a player. I started out learning fingerstyle, but our music was mainly post-punk flavoured, so chugging along with a plectrum just worked a lot better. Crisper "attack." Seriously, there was a lot of chugging. The "Hal Leonard Bass Method" didn't explain the necessity of building your endurance so you don't get a dead arm on stage!

Because I'm poor, I play a beaten-up second-hand Stagg bass. Early on, I took it to be set up to fix the atrocities the previous owner had committed on the truss-rod. Low-tension strings, for speed rather than a fat sound. (That also helps compensate for not playing fingerstyle!) And because I don't drive, I had to get a very portable amp. Ended up with a Fender Rumble 40, which is small enough to take on the bus. It's fine anywhere you can plug it into the PA, but struggles in mid-size venues with just a vocal PA. Fortunately, nearly all venues we played at had the former set-up.

Not sure what I'll do with the bass now, as I'm really not in the right headspace to grapple with a new band right now. At one point I was experimenting with some wierder stuff that's just bass and vocals. Might go back to that...

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:37 am

RellaBug827 wrote:

Slap is awesome. And WAY beyond my skill level, so respect!

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
At one point I was experimenting with some wierder stuff that's just bass and vocals. Might go back to that...

Fresh!

PBL187
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 4:30 pm

This dude is weird but extremely talented and more "alternative" than anyone I have seen so far! He has many other vids where he pushes the boundaries. This just happens to be (imo) the most boundary pushing vid he has done (and it is a good track which is amazing considering). His YouTube name is Davie504