The hypocrites of the alt-right

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

unimatrix001
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2017, 7:05 pm

I'm alt right and I live in a liberal area. It's pretty horrible how much we're censored. The feminists are taking over. Every one of my interests has been taken over by hysterical man-hating feminists who want to control everything and censor opposing opinions. And when I point out that SJWs are in power, I get called a "nazi." I can't imagine how anyone thinks that liberal opinions are censored. Google literally weeds out and bans anti-SJWs. Trump gets called a "nazi" for pointing out that Antifa causes most of the violence. Your mother is very brave for even voicing her opinion under this politically-correct culture.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 10:15 pm

I feel everybody, from all over the political spectrum, need to get out more among real people.

What "interests" have the "man-hating feminists" taken from you?

I haven't met too many SJWs myself.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:06 am

unimatrix001 wrote:
Trump gets called a "nazi" for pointing out that Antifa causes most of the violence. Your mother is very brave for even voicing her opinion under this politically-correct culture.

More accurately Trump gets called a Nazi sympathizer for pretending that murderous white supremacists and their opponents are morally equal and commit similar amounts of violence. The US far-right (white supremacists, anti-choicers, although more specifically Christian Identity, because other Christians and other far-right groups are relatively non-violent) commits more terrorism than Islamists and the left (ALF/ELF and similar up until very recently represented virtually all left-wing terrorism but also were limited exclusively to property crimes and not violence against individuals) combined.

For that matter, as a gun enthusiast, military history nerd and car nerd I've gotten quite used to having to accommodate right wing political correctness and the toxic impact it has on those hobbies and communities, but let's keep pretending political correctness only exists from the left. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:09 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Oh, and as for the special snowflake thing, I don't think I'm more special than anyone or everyone else... unlike her.

While 'snowflake' as an insult likely developed from 'special snowflake', they're not the same thing. Chichikov's definition works well for the former, you're describing the later.

"Snowflake" and "Special Snowflake" are pretty much the same thing. The idea is that a person very fragile and easily offended got that way because they were spoiled by their parents who were always praising and rewarding them, telling them your special etc. "Special Snowflake" became "Snowflake" for the same reason "cuckold" became "cuck" and "neurotypical" became "NT", people just are too lazy to say the full words.

They're related, but like many changes in language as the term changed so did the implied meaning.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 1:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel everybody, from all over the political spectrum, need to get out more among real people.

What "interests" have the "man-hating feminists" taken from you?

I haven't met too many SJWs myself.

Agreed.

Interesting how not many people are helping the OP cope with her mother and have turned to arguing semantics instead.

My mother was very opinionated as I was growing up. She's mellowed now and is easier to get along with.

To the op. You can't reason with someone like that. They will always paint you as the bad guy. I can never ever swear at my mother if we are debating something because I'll be instantly discredited in her mind and she won't listen. A narcissist will take any little thong and turn it against you.

So there's no point arguing.

I agree with the person who suggested saying, "wouldn't it be nice if we could spend our time together talking about something nicer than politics".

unimatrix001
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2017, 2:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
unimatrix001 wrote:
Trump gets called a "nazi" for pointing out that Antifa causes most of the violence. Your mother is very brave for even voicing her opinion under this politically-correct culture.

More accurately Trump gets called a Nazi sympathizer for pretending that murderous white supremacists and their opponents are morally equal and commit similar amounts of violence. The US far-right (white supremacists, anti-choicers, although more specifically Christian Identity, because other Christians and other far-right groups are relatively non-violent) commits more terrorism than Islamists and the left (ALF/ELF and similar up until very recently represented virtually all left-wing terrorism but also were limited exclusively to property crimes and not violence against individuals) combined.

For that matter, as a gun enthusiast, military history nerd and car nerd I've gotten quite used to having to accommodate right wing political correctness and the toxic impact it has on those hobbies and communities, but let's keep pretending political correctness only exists from the left. :wink:

You haven't seen the countless videos of antifa terrorists beating up peaceful conservatives and free speech activists? "Anti-choicers" aren't committing violence, they're defending the rights of unborn children to not be slaughtered by abortionists. And even then they barely ever commit violence, they just protest peacefully against abortion. Leftists show up at events they don't like and start beating people. Just a few months ago in Berkeley a leftist hit 3 people in the head with a bike lock causing serious concussions. But of course there was no national media coverage. And yes, political correctness only exsists on the left. Those of us on the right believe in small government and individual liberty, which is fundamentally incompatible with political correctness.

In the tech world, men are now demonized just for their chromosomes and told their contributions are less valuable. Feminists repeatedly advocate killing all males, and accuse us of "male tears" and "mansplaining" when we point out that the wage gap doesn't exist. There's no such thing as free speech under leftist rule.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

There are hypocrites on the right and on the left.
There are name-callers on the left and on the right.

Now in the good old days, snowflakes had a good connotation of each person being a unique individual.
Me, I like winter. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

unimatrix001 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
unimatrix001 wrote:

You haven't seen the countless videos of antifa terrorists beating up peaceful conservatives and free speech activists? "Anti-choicers" aren't committing violence, they're defending the rights of unborn children to not be slaughtered by abortionists. And even then they barely ever commit violence, they just protest peacefully against abortion. Leftists show up at events they don't like and start beating people. Just a few months ago in Berkeley a leftist hit 3 people in the head with a bike lock causing serious concussions. But of course there was no national media coverage. And yes, political correctness only exsists on the left. Those of us on the right believe in small government and individual liberty, which is fundamentally incompatible with political correctness.

In the tech world, men are now demonized just for their chromosomes and told their contributions are less valuable. Feminists repeatedly advocate killing all males, and accuse us of "male tears" and "mansplaining" when we point out that the wage gap doesn't exist. There's no such thing as free speech under leftist rule.

So much insanity I don't know where to start.

I guess when anti-choice terrorists firebomb abortion clinics or shoot doctors, that's not terrorism or even violence? :roll:

I've previously condemned antifa for attacking conservatives. I won't condemn them for attacking violent white supremacists though, when hundreds of out-of-town neo-fascists attempt to use violence and threat of violence to intimidate communities use of force to resist them is absolutely acceptable. right-wing hypocrisy on this issue is glaring, they constantly whine about out-of-town opponents coming to oppose them, but they themselves bused in their fellow Nazis from across the US and beyond.

Considering your own post is filled with attempts to frame the discussion in a manner that neo-fascists would consider politically correct you're obviously being dishonest when you attempt to pretend political correctness doesn't exist from your side. Just because you oppose one standard of political correctness doesn't mean you're not if favour of another standard of political correctness.

As for demonized in the tech world, I'm sure you can provide an example of men being demonized for the Y chromosome and that this isn't just another one of your exaggerations. :wink:

If you want examples of political correctness from the right, let's just try to have an honest discussion about the US Civil War without someone bringing up the long since debunked 'Lost Cause' myths. Or maybe we can try to discuss abortion in an honest way. Oh right, that will never happen because you'll be triggered by an honest discussion.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:59 am

I totally get this. They go on and on about free speech but then they try to silence you when you disagree with them.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2017, 1:48 pm

Ugh. Have you pointed out the hypocrisy? Or did/would that make it worse?

bobchaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm

Once upon a time, there was this thing called "polite society", and (despite what the name might imply) they thought it was ok, even important, to RATIONALLY discuss political opinions. The rational part seems to have gotten drowned out sometime in the last century as evidenced by this thread. Now we just got people shouting "but my values!" from both left and right :P

As for the OP, +1 to serving your mom her own medicine: she goes all political on you? get in your car and leave, after a few cycles of this she'll get the message (or disinherit you, but who wants to inherit all that hate :O )

mn_aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2017, 7:48 am

I have people in my family like this. On both ends of the political spectrum. Generally they have half baked philosophies they've memorized from their favorite gossip sources (e.g. Limbaugh on the right, Maddow on the left)

What I've experienced is that they never really have a significant point; they just kinda rant and rave and wander all over. So, since they don't really have a good basis for their rants, it's impossible to debate/argue--they're not interested in that.

What has worked for me is not allowing them to rant and move from tangent to tangent. Fixate on one thing they say and ask for clarification. There are two questions which most people cannot answer and destroy most ideological rants: "what do you mean," and "how do you know?"

A current example of this is the recent revelation that the FBI was surveilling Paul Manafort under a FISA warrant. To conservatives this is vindication that President Trump was correct when he tweeted "Obama had my wires tapped." To liberals this is vindication that the Russia investigation is based on evidence of wrong doing. Ask either crowd the above two questions, and you'll quickly discover they have defined things poorly/improperly, and/or have a poor basis for their premise.