The hypocrites of the alt-right

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:07 am

I bend over backwards to accomodate for their free speech, then I give my opinion too, and, unlike them, I give it tactfully, but apparently I don't have the right to free speech too.

My mother is kinda alt-right. She is one of the people that does the above. She will rant to me for hours about "SJWs"/the "alt-left"/"special snowflakes"/"liberals"/"liberals"/whatever you want to call them. And I'm expected to listen, or I'm censoring her. But not only does she refuse to listen to my (neither alt-right nor alt-left) opinion, but she tells me to stop voicing it to her, because she "has the right to walk away, but she can't in this situation because we're in her home". Yet she goes on and on no matter where we are with her alt-right stuff, and EXPECTS me to listen, and if *I* walk away, I'm censoring her. Double standard? I think so!

What can I do? She has always had double standards in life, since my childhood and even before probably... she is the proverbial special snowflake. It's always been one set of rules for her and another for everyone else. Yet she says *I'm* acting like I think I'm such a special snowflake, and that's just because I said I was traumatized by terrible things she said to me and others about me and my autism, including that I might as well be dead (which she doesn't remember saying, and yelled at me that I was liar about).

Last edited by CharityGoodyGrace on 08 Sep 2017, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:09 am

My dad is a Nazi. A white nationalist. I know what he feels like, kinda; I used to be an autistic nationalist, defending and valuing only autistic life and liberty. I've changed. Because I know now that nationalism like that is evil. But I know how it feels like, so I can empathize... you just want some pride, some rights, some respect and for others to fear you for a change instead of you always fearing them.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:20 am

Why did you put this in PPR? This is nothing to do with "alt right", it's about your mother. Unless you're saying that every "alt right" person acts like that?

As for who the snowflake is, if you're traumatised by words then I'm sorry to say but you're the snowflake.

As for what you can do about your mother (again why is this in PPR?) it depends on your situation. Do you live with her? Does she feed and house you? If so I'm afraid you just have to put up with it, it's the cost of living with your parents.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:23 am

I don't live with her, but I visit her and my dad, and that's only because they are SOMETIMES CIVIL and I love them because before we had a bond and that.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:25 am

Oh, and as for the special snowflake thing, I don't think I'm more special than anyone or everyone else... unlike her.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:26 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
I don't live with her, but I visit her and my dad, and that's only because they are SOMETIMES CIVIL and I love them because before we had a bond and that.

So cut her off when she goes on. Tell her you don't want to spend your time together talking about politics.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:36 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Oh, and as for the special snowflake thing, I don't think I'm more special than anyone or everyone else... unlike her.

That's not really what a snowflake is, it's more of a reference to people who are over sensitive and easily offended and don't want to be exposed to ideas different than there own.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

Chichikov wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

That's not really what a snowflake is, it's more of a reference to people who are over sensitive and easily offended and don't want to be exposed to ideas different than there own.

So basically, it describes the alt-right? :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:25 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

While 'snowflake' as an insult likely developed from 'special snowflake', they're not the same thing. Chichikov's definition works well for the former, you're describing the later.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:35 am

Ah, well if you're not stuck in the house with her, then you can hold her to the same standards. If you don't want to listen, you don't have to.

I don't think I've ever called someone a snowflake, but to me, in insult form, it's for people who put themselves above others, not in an individually "I'm special" sort of way, but in a way that the desires of their ingroup are the only thing that matters, and override everything else. The likes of SJWs, "feminists", BLM, Islamists, Antifa and various elitists. These people go on the attack if you don't conform to their view of how you and the World around them should be. They won't live and let live, and yes, they think they're better than you. Their group is superior.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

Chichikov wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

That actually does seem to describe a lot of alt righters.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

So basically, it describes the alt-right? :wink:

Not really, it describes individuals, not large groups. The belief that large groups of people can be pigeon holed in such simplistic ways is what's wrong with politics today.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

That actually does seem to describe a lot of alt righters.

It probably does, but it also describes people who think statues should be pulled down because they can be associated with things that aren't "politically correct" today, people who think they should have safe spaces on campus where people can't say things that they disagree with, people who no-platform speakers who have opinions they disagree with, people who dress up in black, hide their faces and physically attack people who have different opinions, people who celebrate hurricanes that destroy areas of the country where people have a different political bias, people who think a man making a lewd dad joke is guilty of sexual assault.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:

While 'snowflake' as an insult likely developed from 'special snowflake', they're not the same thing. Chichikov's definition works well for the former, you're describing the later.

"Snowflake" and "Special Snowflake" are pretty much the same thing. The idea is that a person very fragile and easily offended got that way because they were spoiled by their parents who were always praising and rewarding them, telling them your special etc. "Special Snowflake" became "Snowflake" for the same reason "cuckold" became "cuck" and "neurotypical" became "NT", people just are too lazy to say the full words.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

Moved from PPR.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

I thought snowflake was someone who is special and can do no wrong and deserves special treatment and rules don't apply to them or any policies like it does for everyone else. It has become a derogatory word because people now throw this word around on those who have problems or a disability. That now implies they are normal but they just want a handout which is why that term has become hurtful.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.