Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm

I've never been interested so far.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 5:17 am

Graceling wrote:
Joe90, is Facebook a primary form of socialization for you, or do you have people you're comfortable with in person?

I ask because I have a handful of people I'm good with in person, and I'm curious if people on the spectrum tend to choose either face-to-face or online, instead of both. Maybe I'm just not good online.

Friends seem to talk to me more in real life than on Facebook for some reason. But I think I got into a habit of oversharing stuff on Facebook and has caused friends to unfollow me, although they would never want to say that they unfollowed me. But I wasn't born yesterday.

On Facebook I have:-

-friends I met from college/volunteer jobs who I stayed in touch with
-friends from work (co-workers)
-family
-friends of family
-some people who I don't really know well but know of
-my boyfriend's family and some friends of his (my boyfriend isn't on Facebook)

So, yeah I got quite a lot in my friends list. Adds up to a 100 or more.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 11:20 pm

Graceling wrote:
This might sound weird, but I'm terrified of Facebook and social media in general. I have a Facebook account, and I have some family/friends who are very active on it, so I get notifications, but every time I see one, I get a rush of panic. Sometimes to the point of actual anxiety attacks. I delete them immediately without logging in. I *can't* use it. I've never been sure about why; prior to my AS diagnosis, I called it social anxiety that extended online.

I'd kind of like to be more active on Facebook, and other social media, just for the sake of being able to socialize in some way. But if I overcome the initial fear and get a little better at it, then people will expect me to be as good/constant at it as "normal people", and that's just another thing I'll have to live up to or be thought a failure at being a person - and that feeling was exactly what I got rid of when I got diagnosed.

Anyone have any similar experiences or any thoughts on how to deal with this?

I had the very same experience. A rush of panic, merely thinking about it, even while having turned off all of the notification settings. Something very important that I have learned about this type of response, which is very much like, if not the same, as the fight or flight response _ It can lead to some pretty profound physical issues, particularly related to the endocrine system. I deleted Facebook after a few weeks, time, for this very reason. I became very ill as the result of intense anxiety, in the past, and, finally managed to repair my adrenal functioning, thyroid (yes, it is possible) and normalize my hormone functioning. Never again, will I allow myself to be repeatedly triggered, unnecessarily, if I have the ability to take control of it. Indeed, I experience similar or same responses in other environments as well. Including, here, on WP, but, to a far lesser degree than it had with Facebook. I have certain friends here, who have proven to me that they care about me, they understand, because, they too, experience the same or similar responses to the same sort of stimuli, and I can confide in them, express myself when I a feel anxious, worried, nervous alone. This makes it possible for me to feel more at ease, here. Some things are out our our power to control, however, some situations we do have the power to control. Just my 2 cents. I have both, social anxiety and generalized anxiety, in case it is of benefit to you/your situation, to know. (Apologies if this has already been covered. I have only read your initial post thus far). x

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2017, 7:11 am

I don't have a Facebook account, have never been interested to have one. At some point, I almost had one because of work and peer pressure but managed to avoid it.

I am not afraid of it. I just don't like it.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 9:40 pm

Graceling wrote:
Plus, even after the diagnosis, said therapist insists on talking to me like an NT, and putting words into my mouth. I spend half my sessions with her interrupting me and me telling her "no, that's not it".

I had the same problem with my therapist. I fired her. If your therapist knows that you are not NT, she should treat you differently. Tell her that. If she can't do that, consider finding another therapist. Honestly, NTs are so used to assuming that everyone thinks like them, it may be impossible for her to change.

As for keeping in touch with family, what about just calling, emailing, chatting, or writing letters? Even if you start using your Facebook account more often, you don't have to use it the same way other people do. If it gives you anxiety, try reminding yourself that staying in touch with family is the most important part, not acting "normal" on Facebook. You don't even have to stay logged in for long; you can just quickly check your "friends" for updates and reply to messages.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 10:20 pm

starkid wrote:
I had the same problem with my therapist. I fired her. If your therapist knows that you are not NT, she should treat you differently. Tell her that. If she can't do that, consider finding another therapist. Honestly, NTs are so used to assuming that everyone thinks like them, it may be impossible for her to change.

I have real problem understanding this , especially as I have just started therapy. I have no Dx that state I am not NT.
Is there a big problem with a therapist treating you like an NT if your not , can this have a detrimental effect ?

I'm pretty sure I don't think like a 'normal' person but still may be NT , I won't know till I am assessed.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm

EzraS wrote:
I've never been interested so far.

Your not missing out dude imo

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 2:28 pm

I never even heard of Facebook until 2008. I wasn't interested in it, but when people at my voluntary job kept asking me if I had Facebook, I started to think maybe I should give it a try, just to see what it was all about. So in 2011 two of my friends helped me set up a Facebook account and I found it was more interesting than emailing. As the months went on I found myself getting more and more into it, although I did start to overshare my mind like it was a diary, which, looking back, was pretty embarrassing. Nowadays I try to control what I share on there.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

I do not and will never use any of it, it is an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

BBC: Radio 4

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 4:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I never even heard of Facebook until 2008. I wasn't interested in it, but when people at my voluntary job kept asking me if I had Facebook, I started to think maybe I should give it a try, just to see what it was all about. So in 2011 two of my friends helped me set up a Facebook account and I found it was more interesting than emailing. As the months went on I found myself getting more and more into it, although I did start to overshare my mind like it was a diary, which, looking back, was pretty embarrassing. Nowadays I try to control what I share on there.

That is interesting that you had two friends help with setup. All I had was an account of some friends who had logged the progress of a new member at getting his stuff posted, trying to reverse-engineer a users manual. As far as I can tell, none of my former acquaintances ever knew I was on Facebook for a while.

This echoes the OP's concern - if you are not good at social relations, it gets even more obvious with software not set to expect you.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:31 pm

It seems to me that the biggest negative on Facebook is that cordial disagreement with anything or anyone is immediately taken as a personal insult on the original poster. The other bugbear is that some people post pictures of every damn meal they ever eat, happily they are a minority though.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:38 pm

Facebook is the digital recreation of everything I hated about high school. Not afraid, just not interesting in any way, shape, or form.

Graceling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm

Dear_one wrote:
That is interesting that you had two friends help with setup. All I had was an account of some friends who had logged the progress of a new member at getting his stuff posted, trying to reverse-engineer a users manual. As far as I can tell, none of my former acquaintances ever knew I was on Facebook for a while.

This echoes the OP's concern - if you are not good at social relations, it gets even more obvious with software not set to expect you.

This is part of it, actually. If there was a user's manual to Facebook, I would read it cover to cover before doing anything. As it is, I'm lost - maybe it's self-explanatory to other people, but it's all Greek to me. And that plays into the panic. Are there Facebook for Dummies videos somewhere that are up to date?

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

I barely used Instagram and Twitter. I just don't really like social media that much. But I like being here on WrongPlanet and the WrongPlanet IRC chat! :D

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 14, 2017)

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:36 am

I was thinking about this.
I am not on facebook, but I get a similar reaction to any form of communication coming at me.
I can't answer a ringing phone, and even getting a text or email, I feel a sense of avoidance. I don't want to do it. If my phone goes off for a text I get that same panicked feeling of No! Get away!
I think it's a communication thing, but also being unable to deal with things coming at me when I don't expect it and may not be in a position to deal with it. I have to concoct plans to deal with things - like making a call, which I don't like either, I have everything scripted and written out - questions I want to ask so I won't miss anything, paperwork needed like numbers or names, notes on what to say. If a communication is coming at me, there is no opportunity to properly prepare to handle it correctly.
Maybe something similar for you?
Why do you want to force yourself to deal with or overcome it? There are plenty of ways to be more social that may not elicit this uncomfortable response. If it makes you that uncomfortable, I just wouldn't do it were I you.