Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

I can't say I never have, but I have certainly never liked it. So anymore I have made the choice not to, for the most part and I have to say I prefer it. Also the hair on my legs is only visible below the knee all the hair above that is too short and light colored to see...but around my calves its a bit more dark and more visible but yeah I don't care anymore. I know I shaved my armpits a few months ago when I was looking for work...not sure why really guess i was just trying to make that first impression, but my boyfriend seemed to think it quite weird since that's the only time he saw me with them shaved. lol he says he likes my arm-pits for some reason and I don't shave them usually, but then I did shave them and it seemed off-putting for him...like he didn't say that but just the way he reacted I think he actually likes them better when they have hair.

But yeah I say to each their own if a woman or man prefers to shave body hair...cool, but I think it should certainly be a personal choice. In the past I have done it because I was told that is just what you do if you're female...but I came to realize I don't like it so why should I. So not dissing on people who like to shave it's your preference, I just hate the pressure that you 'have' to shave if you are female, or that only shaved females can be attractive.

I will add though I do wash it, like for anyone who would say 'thats not hygienic' I do make a point to wash everything in the shower, so it is kind of a myth that if you keep body hair you're gross...I mean if that were true all the hairy guys who shower every day wouldn't be clean ever.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I can't say I never have, but I have certainly never liked it. So anymore I have made the choice not to, for the most part and I have to say I prefer it. Also the hair on my legs is only visible below the knee all the hair above that is too short and light colored to see...but around my calves its a bit more dark and more visible but yeah I don't care anymore. I know I shaved my armpits a few months ago when I was looking for work...not sure why really guess i was just trying to make that first impression, but my boyfriend seemed to think it quite weird since that's the only time he saw me with them shaved. lol he says he likes my arm-pits for some reason and I don't shave them usually, but then I did shave them and it seemed off-putting for him...like he didn't say that but just the way he reacted I think he actually likes them better when they have hair.

But yeah I say to each their own if a woman or man prefers to shave body hair...cool, but I think it should certainly be a personal choice. In the past I have done it because I was told that is just what you do if you're female...but I came to realize I don't like it so why should I. So not dissing on people who like to shave it's your preference, I just hate the pressure that you 'have' to shave if you are female, or that only shaved females can be attractive.

I will add though I do wash it, like for anyone who would say 'thats not hygienic' I do make a point to wash everything in the shower, so it is kind of a myth that if you keep body hair you're gross...I mean if that were true all the hairy guys who shower every day wouldn't be clean ever.

Not unless I think it's going to be exposed in some way, but for the most part, I don't shave because I have very little body hair and rarely wear anything that would expose the places I do have body hair.

I will say, on the subject of shaving and social norms, men tend to hate shaving their faces. I had a co-worker who was in the military, who had particularly fast growing, thick facial hair, and had to shave twice per day to meet military standards.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 2:29 pm

I prefer skirts and dresses to trousers, so if the skin is on show it will be shaved; it also depends on the weather and the fact that I tend to feel quite warm most of the time.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm

I never wear skirts or dresses, and I prefer long-sleeved tops to short-sleeved. I only shave once in a blue moon, because my mum doesn't like to see me with hairy arms and legs, and in case there's ever a time I need to wear shorts.

If it were up to me, I'd probably never shave. I know it's not ladylike of me (then again I'm not exactly what you'd call ladylike full stop), but I just simply can't be bothered, and I don't really get why I should.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

No, I never have. But some summers I have cut the hair in my arm pit with a scissor to get rid of most of it because sometimes it feels icky when the heat is bothering me. I also cut my hair (even) shorter for the same reason.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

I epilate all over and have done so for years, when I told my last boyfriend this he was horrified, as if I were torturing myself, but I feel very little discomfort from it. My skin can be very sensitive in other ways though, and unfortunately these sensitivities seem to go against the natural order. Nonetheless, why shouldn't everyone do what makes them most comfortable regarding this small part of life. All I know is that in yoga the last thing I want to be thinking about with more than the usual amount of skin exposed is whether my armpits are done!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Sep 2017, 7:59 am

I used to wax my legs for they are quite hairy but stopped a few years ago. Too much pain, too much problems with the hair regrowing inside my skin.
Now I shave them every now and then in the summer but I stopped worrying when I don't. I can always say it's my adoption of the body positivity philosophy :) The same with armpits. I wash them and use an antiperspirant but shave them only sometimes in the summer. By the way I feel more sweat when they are shaven than when they are not.
And I proudly wear my hairy forearms. I don't know why but I think of them as part of my identity. They were that way when I was 6yo. Their hairiness is part of being me, just like my eye color, my nose or my feet shape.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

mental
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2017, 3:09 am

No, never did, and never do. I never understood why others bother, it's natural, so why shave it off?

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2017, 7:13 pm

I used to shave when I was a teenager because I was teased at school. Now, I don't. The dermatologist said to me my body hair was there for protection. She did not want me to get rid of it.
I wear long cotton dresses with long sleeves, fully covered all year round. That way I don't get rashes.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 7:16 pm

I haven't shaved in a while.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:22 pm

I do, but I hate it. I always worry I'm going to cut myself.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

I'm weird. I even shave my knuckles! I just really hate the feeling of body hair on me, especially under my arms. I can't stand the itching of hair or how it feels "heavy" on me. I hate the process of shaving, but I absolutely love the results. There's not much better to me than laying down and feeling clean sheets against shaved arms or legs. When I can afford to do it, I plan on getting laser hair removal pretty much everywhere.

KissMyDirndl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Mar 2018, 4:37 pm

I don't shave my legs more than a couple of times per year, luckily for me (I guess?) I have very sparse and light colored hair and people don't tend to notice. I shave my underarms about every three months or if I am wearing something strapless out in public. I choose not to shave because because it damages my skin and leads to irritation from my antiperspirant. Women didn't start removing their body hair until fashion shifted to skirts that revealed our ankles, which wasn't really very long ago.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 188 of 200
Your neurotypical (Non-Autistic) score: 38 of 200

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

I hate shaving but funny enough I don't grow hair on my arms.

Shaving is very irritating to my skin but I do sometimes use hair removal cream on my legs and snail trail. I do my armpits too.

I just find the whole thing tiring, especially as I went through a phase where I shaved everything because I was trying to meet a standard for all the rubbish men I was trying to impress. So now I do it when I want if I want. Though I really do stay away from razors.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 3:38 pm

I hate shaving and avoid it as much as possible. My mom pretty much forces me to shave. I have really dark hair and really pale skin (and PCOS, which can cause you to grow excessive body hair). I don't mind the hair though. I only shave the front part of my lower legs and my underarms, and that's enough to keep her happy luckily.

Brobro950
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2018, 12:32 pm

I like the smoothness you get after shaving but it's so much effort so I usually leave it as for long as possible and mostly wear jeans to hide my leg hair haha.

The only place I shave regularly would be my underarms, just because they get super itchy if I don't.