Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 4:47 am

Has anyone got any tips to help me sort out my front suspension forks on my mountain bike.

I'm scared of taking it apart and not being able to fix it again because it's my main mode of transportation. I cycle 100 miles a week.

Due to quite a lot of heavy rain and inadequate storage at work my forks are squeaky and I don't know what to do.

At the minute my bike is upside down in the kitchen so that any water in the forks might trickle down and I have cleaned off any debris that has accumulate there.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips really, I'll be really grateful.

If not I'll have to take her to the doctors.x

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2017, 12:50 pm

I see no-one's responded to you yet, BB. I'm a non-cyclist myself (motor co-ordination issues) but have a cycling friend in another town. I can ask him for advice if need be. Once properly dried, oiling the joints should do the trick.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 2:12 pm

Thank you EZ. It does seem a bit better now but there's so much rain lately.

:)

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2017, 12:15 am

Hey Babybird,

Here is an article about bike suspension fork maintenance. A fragment from the article:

Quote:
Forks need regular periodic maintenance.

We recommend cleaning and lubrication refills (lower leg service) every 25 riding hours, and a full service (strip down, seal replacement and full oil change) every 200 hours.

The more frequent lower leg service can be carried out at home, by the experience home mechanic. This suspension service involves removing the lower legs (with the bike inverted to retain the existing oil), then cleaning the foam rings and re-applying lubricating fluid. The process then involves cleaning and inspecting the dust seals, stanchions and bushes; before topping up the fork oil and re-assembling the fork.

One of the best ways to learn how to do this service, is to watch a workshop mechanic perform the service themselves; then you can learn the steps to carry out the service yourself, the next time around.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 12:50 am

^^thank you. Much appreciated.