Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2017, 4:40 pm

I heard some Rock bands unplugged before and its just really not pleasant. That is why they hate playing acoustic. You never hear them really sing. They can turn up their instruments and cover up their vocal mistakes. Take away the loud drums, guitars and see what you're left with. Its kind of sad. I listen to other vocalist sing in Pop, Country, Classical, etc and they can all sing better live .

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 5:06 pm

It depends on what you like personally. I do like rock singers who aren't the prettiest of singers like Dave Groll and Bruce Dickinson and Lloyd Cole.

I hate classically trained Broadway musical style singing. I was trained to sing like that and didn't enjoy it. It just seems fake. I read a good article recently about how singing like that can wreck your vocal chords.

I hate, hate, hate Adele. Her songs are even painful to try and sing.

I do enjoy singing James Bay songs. His voice is great. He sings acoustic.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 7:35 pm

I hate pop and country, the vocals are just so generic and headache inducing, most country sounds like they are singing out of their nose. Also the lyrics are pretty unappealing, and boring. Also a lot of pop artists don't even write their own material.

I mostly like metal and rock, and there are actually quite a few good vocalists who can certainly sing. Also metal and rock bands don't turn up their instruments to cover up vocal mistakes, the idea is the music and vocals compliment each other. A band that just played louder to cover crappy vocals wouldn't be a very good rock or metal band.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 10:31 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I heard some Rock bands unplugged before and its just really not pleasant. That is why they hate playing acoustic. You never hear them really sing. They can turn up their instruments and cover up their vocal mistakes. Take away the loud drums, guitars and see what you're left with. Its kind of sad. I listen to other vocalist sing in Pop, Country, Classical, etc and they can all sing better live .

Wrong. Bands like Clutch and Swans play acoustically quite a bit and they have much more heart and soul than s**t like Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry can ever hope to achieve.

Country vocals bore me to tears whenever I hear them. They have no creativity to them and the lyrics are as deep as a puddle.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm

Another Rock hater. Leave the genre alone and go back to wherever you came from.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 12:00 am

there was at least one rock n'roller who could sing, and his initials were EAP. another whose initials were RKO. both had tragically abbreviated lives when they were in their prime.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 1:01 am

thewrll wrote:
Another Rock hater. Leave the genre alone and go back to wherever you came from.

Rednecks can't appreciate musical talent or creativity. To them, if it doesn't have twangy accents or paint by numbers acoustic strumming or picking, it's "weeurd" or "devuhl's mewsick". They over identify with their own romanticized view of their culture that anything outside it clashes with their paradigm and they wonder why the rest of the world can't stand them.

If they don't like rock or metal because it isn't their cup of tea, fine. But when they say something stupid and stereotypical like "They are just screamin' and yellin' their heads off!" or "That's just noise coming from the guitar!", I have a bone to pick with them. I'd rather hear a metal singer yell out about pushing through society's barriers than some goofy happy redneck singing cheerfully about drinking beer instead of water to help the environment which is stupid because water is required to make beer. The coordination and finesse required to play some rock and metal guitar styles is also not something subjective but objective. Unfortunately, all that is too much for redneck brains to comprehend. They just want something cheap and easy to consume because they are too comfort zoned.

Last edited by Marknis on 12 Sep 2017, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 1:49 am

You heard some rock bands unplugged and they weren't great?
Well, obviously the whole genre sucks then. :roll:

The loud drums and guitar are the main reason that rock appeals to me.
The vocals are just one element of the sound as a whole.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 2:01 am

Raleigh wrote:

Exactly. There's a lot of power in those loud drums and guitar riffing. Country music feels tired and flat. It doesn't empower me in any way and it makes my synesthesia go into withdrawal.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate pop and country, the vocals are just so generic and headache inducing, most country sounds like they are singing out of their nose. Also the lyrics are pretty unappealing, and boring. Also a lot of pop artists don't even write their own material.

I mostly like metal and rock, and there are actually quite a few good vocalists who can certainly sing. Also metal and rock bands don't turn up their instruments to cover up vocal mistakes, the idea is the music and vocals compliment each other. A band that just played louder to cover crappy vocals wouldn't be a very good rock or metal band.

Well, at least Country singers can sing. The metal "singers" just scream and the lyrics are horrid. Also, there are many styles of Country music, and no they don't sing through the nose. That is just the way the fake singers are. Pop music is catchy and fun. Country Music has meaning. Metal is just noise, really.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 1:33 pm

Marknis wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Rednecks can't appreciate musical talent or creativity. To them, if it doesn't have twangy accents or paint by numbers acoustic strumming or picking, it's "weeurd" or "devuhl's mewsick". They over identify with their own romanticized view of their culture that anything outside it clashes with their paradigm and they wonder why the rest of the world can't stand them.

If they don't like rock or metal because it isn't their cup of tea, fine. But when they say something stupid and stereotypical like "They are just screamin' and yellin' their heads off!" or "That's just noise coming from the guitar!", I have a bone to pick with them. I'd rather hear a metal singer yell out about pushing through society's barriers than some goofy happy redneck singing cheerfully about drinking beer instead of water to help the environment which is stupid because water is required to make beer. The coordination and finesse required to play some rock and metal guitar styles is also not something subjective but objective. Unfortunately, all that is too much for redneck brains to comprehend. They just want something cheap and easy to consume because they are too comfort zoned.

The problem is that Metal music is not a song driven genre. Country Music is a song driven genre. Metal is more about the loudness and intensity, rather than well crafted songs. There is a ton of CREATIVITY in Country music! You are so ignorant about it. I don't listen to Top 40 Country anyway. Pop music less so. But Country Music is a very broad genre with so many styles and stylists, its hard to pick the best. I just know in general, its more aesthetically pleasing! Its about real life, and real people and lyrics that have deep meaning. You just don't get it. And your stereotypes sound uneducated .

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 1:34 pm

Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:

Wrong. Bands like Clutch and Swans play acoustically quite a bit and they have much more heart and soul than s**t like Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry can ever hope to achieve.

Country vocals bore me to tears whenever I hear them. They have no creativity to them and the lyrics are as deep as a puddle.

I DON'T listen to Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry or any of that drivel. They are NOT Country!

For reference, this is what I mean by real Country Music (ironically the Monkees) Mike Nesmith was a pioneer in the Country Rock movement. This is more Country than anything on Country radio today. Its very pleasing and full of beautiful harmonics, melody, and chord progressions.

Last edited by rvacountrysinger on 12 Sep 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 1:38 pm

Raleigh wrote:

Guitar riffs are not songs. Vocals convey the emotion and the message. The lyrics are what make a song.
If anything guitar riffs are boring and conventional and uncreative.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 1:48 pm

As an autistic person, Rock music does nothing for me except give me a headache and cause stress waves and sensory issues.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 1:55 pm

As an autistic person, rock music gives me reason for living.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm

It's good to see you reached the conclusion ALL rock singers can't sing based on (in your own words) "a few" that you found unpleasant. Of course you could have just said: "I don't like rock music", but as a "polite troll" that wouldn't generate the outrage you're looking for.