Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
If metal and rock music is so terrible, I wonder why it has such a huge following?
It's all based on individual taste.
Not everyone likes a Picasso either.
Rubbishing someone else's individual taste is never going to go down well. :lol:

My main point was about the vocals, and then it turned into a Country Music bashing thread. So I hit back.

You made a sweeping generalization based on shallow claims so don't expect people to just sit back and take it.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:06 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
RikMayall wrote:
Country music is audio cancer.

Country Music is ART. It is the only genre (other than Classical) that truly matters! Its full of personality and wisdom and its song crafted. Even the worst Country is still better than the noise of primitive Rap and Roll.

Why? Because you say so? You wouldn't like anyone taking your music away from you so don't do it to others.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:09 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
^ I was trying to be open minded.
But yes, sounds like shite to me.

Maybe I could be wrong though and I've formerly been assaulted by the wrong type of country.

To be fair, Johnny Cash and Hank Williams were talented but the Bible Belt has forgotten about them. They only want Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry, Tim McGraw, and other crap in the same vein. They just want something easy and convenient to fall on their plate. My father grew up in the era of Johnny Cash but would NEVER play his music at all. It was either Toby Keith or Tim McGraw.

...it's just Montgomery now, Gentry went down in a helicopter crash a few days back.

My mistake. I just remember them because I went to a redneck school and I try to distance myself from that redneck pop but some of my family members love it so it gets around like a virus.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:17 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
RikMayall wrote:
I don't like rap.
Well, 99% of rap.

cash isn't country, he is rock n roll.
hank williams is s**t though.
I've had dogs commit suicide on me just from playing hank.

Johnny Cash was Rock n' Roll? I don't think so. Just because he wasn't the best vocalist, doesn't mean he was a Rock singer. John Denver was a Country singer, but people insist on calling him "Folk". Its just a way for people who are actually afraid to admit to liking Country music of any kind to appear cool and hip by calling something Country "Folk".

Well, funny you should say that.
I just found out that one of the 'country' songs I like is actually classed as bluegrass/folk.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate pop and country, the vocals are just so generic and headache inducing, most country sounds like they are singing out of their nose. Also the lyrics are pretty unappealing, and boring. Also a lot of pop artists don't even write their own material.

I mostly like metal and rock, and there are actually quite a few good vocalists who can certainly sing. Also metal and rock bands don't turn up their instruments to cover up vocal mistakes, the idea is the music and vocals compliment each other. A band that just played louder to cover crappy vocals wouldn't be a very good rock or metal band.

Well, at least Country singers can sing. The metal "singers" just scream and the lyrics are horrid. Also, there are many styles of Country music, and no they don't sing through the nose. That is just the way the fake singers are. Pop music is catchy and fun. Country Music has meaning. Metal is just noise, really.

Ok well you are 100% ignorant about metal....100%. There certainly are types of metal with harsh vocals, but even then its not typically 'screamed' that would ruin vocal chords...there is actually skill involved in making the harsh vocals correctly, you don't have to like it but its actually not just screaming. But that said not all metal even has harsh vocals, there is a lot of bands with clean vocals. Also a lot of metal musicians are classically trained, like in playing classical music, if metal was so trashy why would classically trained Scandinavian musicians want to play it?

Sure maybe not all country is equally terrible, Johhny Cash was good....of course he's not around anymore. As for pop music maybe some people find it catchy and fun, but I rarely find it to be, there might be a pop song here or there that I like ok but for the most part No. I much prefer the energy and passion of metal...which is certainly by no means just noise.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:52 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
If metal and rock music is so terrible, I wonder why it has such a huge following?
It's all based on individual taste.
Not everyone likes a Picasso either.
Rubbishing someone else's individual taste is never going to go down well. :lol:

My main point was about the vocals, and then it turned into a Country Music bashing thread. So I hit back.

You started out bashing rock and metal music by saying none of the vocalists can sing....you really thought that was a good way to get people to be open minded about what you listen to?

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate pop and country, the vocals are just so generic and headache inducing, most country sounds like they are singing out of their nose. Also the lyrics are pretty unappealing, and boring. Also a lot of pop artists don't even write their own material.

I mostly like metal and rock, and there are actually quite a few good vocalists who can certainly sing. Also metal and rock bands don't turn up their instruments to cover up vocal mistakes, the idea is the music and vocals compliment each other. A band that just played louder to cover crappy vocals wouldn't be a very good rock or metal band.

Well, at least Country singers can sing. The metal "singers" just scream and the lyrics are horrid. Also, there are many styles of Country music, and no they don't sing through the nose. That is just the way the fake singers are. Pop music is catchy and fun. Country Music has meaning. Metal is just noise, really.

Ok well you are 100% ignorant about metal....100%. There certainly are types of metal with harsh vocals, but even then its not typically 'screamed' that would ruin vocal chords...there is actually skill involved in making the harsh vocals correctly, you don't have to like it but its actually not just screaming. But that said not all metal even has harsh vocals, there is a lot of bands with clean vocals. Also a lot of metal musicians are classically trained, like in playing classical music, if metal was so trashy why would classically trained Scandinavian musicians want to play it?

Sure maybe not all country is equally terrible, Johhny Cash was good....of course he's not around anymore. As for pop music maybe some people find it catchy and fun, but I rarely find it to be, there might be a pop song here or there that I like ok but for the most part No. I much prefer the energy and passion of metal...which is certainly by no means just noise.

Many times in Metal, though, the lyrics end up being incoherent. Regardless if its a skill to screech that way, I just don't find it appealing. I guess I did open a can of worms when I said in my OP as for Rock n rollers. I guess I mean, that they can hide behind all the electric guitars and loud bass line and drums. If you listen to people like Frank Sinatara or many of the older singers in any genre really, their voices are out in front and they use their voice as an instrument. I don't like modern singers such as Adele. She just caterwalls. I'd rather listen to Metal/Rock than she.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 9:40 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Many times in Metal, though, the lyrics end up being incoherent. Regardless if its a skill to screech that way, I just don't find it appealing. I guess I did open a can of worms when I said in my OP as for Rock n rollers. I guess I mean, that they can hide behind all the electric guitars and loud bass line and drums. If you listen to people like Frank Sinatara or many of the older singers in any genre really, their voices are out in front and they use their voice as an instrument. I don't like modern singers such as Adele. She just caterwalls. I'd rather listen to Metal/Rock than she.

:roll: Incoherent? Screeching? Really?

I can hear every word in this song clearly and the vocals don't resemble anything like you are alluding to. Metal vocalists quite often use their voices instrumentally, they aren't just there for the sake of it. Just because they don't do it the way you wish they did doesn't mean they aren't.

RikMayall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:45 pm

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:52 pm

I really just prefer more acoustic style, softer music.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:54 pm

Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

:roll: Incoherent? Screeching? Really?

I can hear every word in this song clearly and the vocals don't resemble anything like you are alluding to. Metal vocalists quite often use their voices instrumentally, they aren't just there for the sake of it. Just because they don't do it the way you wish they did doesn't mean they aren't.

Okay.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 9:54 pm

hurtloam wrote:
All genres have examples of thoughtful lyrics and good singing and of course they all have a bit of rubbish too.

I like Iron Maiden because of the lyrics. They write little tales about history and fokelore. One of my favourites is about the dropping of the first nuclear bomb an important tale to tell and not to be forgotten. I also like the vocals, the drums and the guitar. And my goodness Bruce Dickinson can sing. Listen to him hit those notes.

Good taste, hurtloam! 8)

Metal bands quite often sing about real issues. Pop country is pretty much "Going down to the river with my baby in a pick up truck! We gon' catch some fish an' fry 'em up! Then we're gonna load our rifles and shoota' lots of deer, kick back in the sun and drink lotsa' beer! Oh Good Lord! I sure do love my Ford! Got dang, this is America!" that takes hardly any creativity to come up with. I did it without even trying.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:57 pm

My song "sweet tea" is much more upbeat! None of my songs mention truck or beers and they are all Country flavored.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 1:18 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well that is fine, it's not appealing to everyone for sure....also there is rock songs and music I don't really like, but I am certainly a metalhead....not sure quite what it is but metal really appeals to me. I really don't care if someone doesn't like it, but it still takes some musical skill to play. There is though a lot of metal bands that have some really good vocals...IDK for clean vocals there is a lot of power metal and much of that sounds simular to classical music, just on different instruments. But there is also clean vocals in folk metal and other types.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 1:49 am

I got into the conversation rather late, but for my two cents, while there are some rockers who I can barely understand, there are many others who can and do sing their lyrics clearly, such as They Might Be Giants, The Black Keys, The Flaming Lips, REM, Devo, Barenaked Ladies, etc.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well that is fine, it's not appealing to everyone for sure....also there is rock songs and music I don't really like, but I am certainly a metalhead....not sure quite what it is but metal really appeals to me. I really don't care if someone doesn't like it, but it still takes some musical skill to play. There is though a lot of metal bands that have some really good vocals...IDK for clean vocals there is a lot of power metal and much of that sounds simular to classical music, just on different instruments. But there is also clean vocals in folk metal and other types.

Same here. I can't stomach most post-grunge and modern hard rock because it tends to be very formulaic and predictable. Loud intro, soft verse with pretty boy singing, the chorus is often the intro recycled or something else hard with the singer getting intense or singing louder, repeat, throw in a bridge, bring back the chorus again, and than end the song. I don't deny the talent utilized to play the music but they should try playing more dynamic song structures.