Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate pop and country, the vocals are just so generic and headache inducing, most country sounds like they are singing out of their nose. Also the lyrics are pretty unappealing, and boring. Also a lot of pop artists don't even write their own material.

I mostly like metal and rock, and there are actually quite a few good vocalists who can certainly sing. Also metal and rock bands don't turn up their instruments to cover up vocal mistakes, the idea is the music and vocals compliment each other. A band that just played louder to cover crappy vocals wouldn't be a very good rock or metal band.

Well, at least Country singers can sing. The metal "singers" just scream and the lyrics are horrid. Also, there are many styles of Country music, and no they don't sing through the nose. That is just the way the fake singers are. Pop music is catchy and fun. Country Music has meaning. Metal is just noise, really.

Ok well you are 100% ignorant about metal....100%. There certainly are types of metal with harsh vocals, but even then its not typically 'screamed' that would ruin vocal chords...there is actually skill involved in making the harsh vocals correctly, you don't have to like it but its actually not just screaming. But that said not all metal even has harsh vocals, there is a lot of bands with clean vocals. Also a lot of metal musicians are classically trained, like in playing classical music, if metal was so trashy why would classically trained Scandinavian musicians want to play it?

Sure maybe not all country is equally terrible, Johhny Cash was good....of course he's not around anymore. As for pop music maybe some people find it catchy and fun, but I rarely find it to be, there might be a pop song here or there that I like ok but for the most part No. I much prefer the energy and passion of metal...which is certainly by no means just noise.

Many times in Metal, though, the lyrics end up being incoherent. Regardless if its a skill to screech that way, I just don't find it appealing. I guess I did open a can of worms when I said in my OP as for Rock n rollers. I guess I mean, that they can hide behind all the electric guitars and loud bass line and drums. If you listen to people like Frank Sinatara or many of the older singers in any genre really, their voices are out in front and they use their voice as an instrument. I don't like modern singers such as Adele. She just caterwalls. I'd rather listen to Metal/Rock than she.

Well that is fine, it's not appealing to everyone for sure....also there is rock songs and music I don't really like, but I am certainly a metalhead....not sure quite what it is but metal really appeals to me. I really don't care if someone doesn't like it, but it still takes some musical skill to play. There is though a lot of metal bands that have some really good vocals...IDK for clean vocals there is a lot of power metal and much of that sounds simular to classical music, just on different instruments. But there is also clean vocals in folk metal and other types.

Same here. I can't stomach most post-grunge and modern hard rock because it tends to be very formulaic and predictable. Loud intro, soft verse with pretty boy singing, the chorus is often the intro recycled or something else hard with the singer getting intense or singing louder, repeat, throw in a bridge, bring back the chorus again, and than end the song. I don't deny the talent utilized to play the music but they should try playing more dynamic song structures.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:13 am

Yes I like lyrics and voice most often too. I still very much enjoy late 80s early 90s music because there is a clarity there that seems to have been lost in modern music.

I'll have a think of some examples of what I mean and post them later.

I do enjoy music with interesting bass as well and can forgo the need for a beautiful voice if I find the music enjoyable like Muse for example, although Matt Bellamy does sing quite clearly.

I really like Mark Knopfler but he really can't sing for toffee. He does a bit of country style as well. Have you heard of him Rvacountrysinger? He's from the North of England like me :)

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2017, 12:59 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Yes I like lyrics and voice most often too. I still very much enjoy late 80s early 90s music because there is a clarity there that seems to have been lost in modern music.

I do enjoy music with interesting bass as well and can forgo the need for a beautiful voice if I find the music enjoyable like Muse for example, although Matt Bellamy does sing quite clearly.

I really like Mark Knopfler but he really can't sing for toffee. He does a bit of country style as well. Have you heard of him Rvacountrysinger? He's from the North of England like me :)

Was he in Dire Straits? I wouldn't say he couldn't sing worth toffy. He has a unique voice and its pleasant sounding. I guess good singing can be subjective. For example, I don't like Adele's singing. Most people think she is amazing. I don't like female vocals, in general, though. Too high pitched for my tastes.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2017, 1:03 pm

Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I hate pop and country, the vocals are just so generic and headache inducing, most country sounds like they are singing out of their nose. Also the lyrics are pretty unappealing, and boring. Also a lot of pop artists don't even write their own material.

I mostly like metal and rock, and there are actually quite a few good vocalists who can certainly sing. Also metal and rock bands don't turn up their instruments to cover up vocal mistakes, the idea is the music and vocals compliment each other. A band that just played louder to cover crappy vocals wouldn't be a very good rock or metal band.

Well, at least Country singers can sing. The metal "singers" just scream and the lyrics are horrid. Also, there are many styles of Country music, and no they don't sing through the nose. That is just the way the fake singers are. Pop music is catchy and fun. Country Music has meaning. Metal is just noise, really.

Ok well you are 100% ignorant about metal....100%. There certainly are types of metal with harsh vocals, but even then its not typically 'screamed' that would ruin vocal chords...there is actually skill involved in making the harsh vocals correctly, you don't have to like it but its actually not just screaming. But that said not all metal even has harsh vocals, there is a lot of bands with clean vocals. Also a lot of metal musicians are classically trained, like in playing classical music, if metal was so trashy why would classically trained Scandinavian musicians want to play it?

Sure maybe not all country is equally terrible, Johhny Cash was good....of course he's not around anymore. As for pop music maybe some people find it catchy and fun, but I rarely find it to be, there might be a pop song here or there that I like ok but for the most part No. I much prefer the energy and passion of metal...which is certainly by no means just noise.

Many times in Metal, though, the lyrics end up being incoherent. Regardless if its a skill to screech that way, I just don't find it appealing. I guess I did open a can of worms when I said in my OP as for Rock n rollers. I guess I mean, that they can hide behind all the electric guitars and loud bass line and drums. If you listen to people like Frank Sinatara or many of the older singers in any genre really, their voices are out in front and they use their voice as an instrument. I don't like modern singers such as Adele. She just caterwalls. I'd rather listen to Metal/Rock than she.

Well that is fine, it's not appealing to everyone for sure....also there is rock songs and music I don't really like, but I am certainly a metalhead....not sure quite what it is but metal really appeals to me. I really don't care if someone doesn't like it, but it still takes some musical skill to play. There is though a lot of metal bands that have some really good vocals...IDK for clean vocals there is a lot of power metal and much of that sounds simular to classical music, just on different instruments. But there is also clean vocals in folk metal and other types.

Same here. I can't stomach most post-grunge and modern hard rock because it tends to be very formulaic and predictable. Loud intro, soft verse with pretty boy singing, the chorus is often the intro recycled or something else hard with the singer getting intense or singing louder, repeat, throw in a bridge, bring back the chorus again, and than end the song. I don't deny the talent utilized to play the music but they should try playing more dynamic song structures.

Isn't almost all music predictable? 4 guys with a guitar, drums. You have chords, notes, vocals (usually), some kind of instrument. With your logic, everything sucks. What a pity.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 1:08 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Isn't almost all music predictable? 4 guys with a guitar, drums. You have chords, notes, vocals (usually), some kind of instrument. With your logic, everything sucks. What a pity.

You do realize that women can play music as well and the number of people in a band is highly variable? Wow, you really are clueless. :roll: It's how the music is composed that makes it predictable or not. Bands like Melvins and Swans are hardly predictable since they generally don't follow intro-verse-chorus-verse--chorus-bridge-chorus radio standard song structures. Actually listen to what people say and quit jumping to conclusions.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 2:10 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Was he in Dire Straits? I wouldn't say he couldn't sing worth toffy. He has a unique voice and its pleasant sounding. I guess good singing can be subjective. For example, I don't like Adele's singing. Most people think she is amazing. I don't like female vocals, in general, though. Too high pitched for my tastes.

I hate Adele's voice. I just don't like the timbre.

Yes that's the dude. He doesn't really sing though, he just sorta mumbles, I do like his voice though.

Have you heard of Jimmy Nail, another North Eastern lad. He sang a song called Crocodile Shoes written by one of my favourite artists Paddy McAloon, actually Paddy's version is better. Rats, that's not on youtube. Ok well here is Cowboy Dreams. Not sure if you'll think this is silly it being written by a chap from Consett, county Durham, not a proper cowboy.

I like Lloyd Cole too. He's got a mumbly thing going on too,but I like his voice and his lyrics.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 2:26 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
My song "sweet tea" is much more upbeat! None of my songs mention truck or beers and they are all Country flavored.

Is this you? I love this. It's awesome.

For some reason this makes me think of early Maria McKee when she was in Lone Justice. A bit more new wave/ post punk though. She's another who is awesome live. Okay, on reflection, nothing alike. Must be the tempo. I don't but I did think of this.

I have a really eclectic taste in music.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Translation: Women need to shut up and be quiet because the Good Lord said so. :roll:

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2017, 2:47 pm

Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Translation: Women need to shut up and be quiet because the Good Lord said so. :roll:

I like women singers with deeper, more mellow voices, such as Patsy Cline or Karen Carpenter

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:59 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I like women singers with deeper, more mellow voices, such as Patsy Cline or Karen Carpenter

But they're both dead.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Stop being so petty Markins. You're just showing yourself up.

But it gives me a chance to moan about Adele aha. Oh her voice hurts. Triggers my misophonia. So does Pink and Coldplay.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 4:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

But they're both dead.

Not you too. C'mon. Let's just share some examples of good music from various genres and see if we can find some common ground. There's got to be an overlap somewhere .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:

so you like contralto female singers then, I agree wholeheartedly. they are the female equivalent of baritones.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Marknis wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

But they're both dead.

Not you too. C'mon. Let's just share some examples of good music from various genres and see if we can find some common ground. There's got to be an overlap somewhere .

I was actually trying to be funny. I stress... trying. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

unfortunately, sometimes when we try to be facetious it turns into something closer to being fecesious. Image

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

I don't care for female vocalists either.
Most of them sound like screeching cats to me.