Anyone else ever feel like a burden because of their autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sciencelover4ever
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2017, 6:53 pm

I sometimes feel like I am a burden to my family because my autism makes me unable to tolerate certain textures of foods, which in turn makes eating out and grocery shopping difficult for my family as well as some other things. Anyone else ever feel like this? If so, how did you handle it?

floodwater
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

used to feel like this a lot when i was younger (i'm 19 now).. parents even said i was being difficult on purpose and made fun of me, but over time i realized that sometimes parents are just as*holes and it isn't my fault for having needs that are different from other people's, you know? that said, don't assume your parents see you as a burden....... most parents want the best for their kids and a little extra effort is nothing when you truly care for your child..

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2017, 10:45 pm

I think it also depends on how old you are. I'm 14 and my family will just tell me to my face that I'm a burden. But I think the older you get and the more freedom you obtain to help yourself makes a big difference on how people view you. This is just what I can come up with though even though it sucks to hear. That's just what I can make of it... Obviously never quite been one to understand social norms you know?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 9:58 pm

Sciencelover4ever wrote:
I sometimes feel like I am a burden to my family because my autism makes me unable to tolerate certain textures of foods, which in turn makes eating out and grocery shopping difficult for my family as well as some other things. Anyone else ever feel like this? If so, how did you handle it?

The real burden I think I would have caused would be my sensory difficulties as well. I dislike the texture of vegetables, for example. I also recently bought some reusable earplugs to use if the sounds in my environment are overstimulating or distracting and in case of school fire drills. I also use them as a sign that I don’t want to talk if I don’t have my earbuds (which are a MUST) or block out background conversation so I can only talk to people in front of me. I also have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), which is probably the worst issue I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

People can’t seem to understand my photographic memory, which can remember details such as what I ate at a mini-party during one of my special day classes in preschool (though I receive mainstream education) and the exact flavor of liquid medications I took. I am also highly fond of and skilled in science, getting at least high 90’s on my science class grades. It’s kind of funny how we both love science.

Although I never joined their clique, I believe that the popular kids may think that I’m a danger to society due to my open opposition of ignorance. I had an incident back in 7th grade where I wanted to become friends with one of my peers, but she rejected me. I found out that she was part of the popular clique through Instagram, making me resent popular kids. I used Direct Messaging to communicate with her about the dangers of the popular clique, but this escalated to an argument. Being the sneaky little twit she is, she decided to report me to the school and seemingly intended to get me in trouble (shame on you, G, if you’re reading this). They put a filter on my school iPad that was separate from the one already on it and unceremoniously forced me to delete my Instagram account. Little did they know that I also created a Snapchat account while I had the Instagram account. I posted there, but deleted the account and created a new one after I noticed that people were blocking me for reasons unknown to me. I created another Instagram account later to see if anyone would notice. I tried posting again, but was reprimanded again.

In other words, I’m here at Wrong Planet because neurotypical people can’t and won’t listen to and accept my opinions and beliefs. I hope that being in this adolescent forum will help me find other autistic teens that can actually understand me.