Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 12:59 am

Autism demands answers ... and fast

Quote:
How did this happen? How can we fix it?

My biggest concern is what will happen when the 3 million children with autism are no longer children? If they remain in the care of their parents through adulthood, what happens when the parents can no longer care for them? They will grow old, get sick and eventually pass away. I think we can all agree on that one. This, of course, will leave the effected child, now adult, with no means to care for themselves. I already see that special education teachers are much more in demand.

I do not want to get into the issue of immunization, even though I personally believe that to be a contributing factor at the very least. I get concerned when pregnant women are getting ultrasound X-rays month after month while they are pregnant

If you do not want to get into the issue of immunization don't bring up. Ask me and people on this this board what happens when autistics grow up. But you probably do not think we exist after all my mom did not have ultrasound in 1957 when I was born because it was not done in America for another 20 years and and vaccines were a lot less.

Quote:
If this defect continues at the current pace, we will soon have a whole generation of young adults who may not be able to have a “normal” life.

Earlier in the article you said you were all for acceptance. Saying I am defective is a funny way of showing it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

"They will grow old, get sick and eventually pass away".

I thought this happened to every member of the human race. Silly old me...

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2017, 6:11 pm

Ummmmm Nazi's alive and well and living in the 21st Century, who would have thought it.

BBC: Radio 4

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:37 pm

Autistics supporting Autistics, throughout their lifetimes, in community. it is pretty new but it is a thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:25 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Autistics supporting Autistics, throughout their lifetimes, in community. it is pretty new but it is a thing.

I like this idea. I hope it comes into practice soon.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 4:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
I get concerned when pregnant women are getting ultrasound X-rays month after month while they are pregnant

What on Earth are "ultrasound X-rays"?

ultrasound = mechanical vibration with frequency higher than human-audible sound.
X-ray = electromagnetic radiation with frequency higher than ultra-violet.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 4:40 pm

vickygleitz wrote:

I like this idea. Do you know of anyone trying to bring it about in any kind of organized fashion?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
I like this idea. Do you know of anyone trying to bring it about in any kind of organized fashion?
I like it, too. So far, however, the only solution being offered is “Aspergia” -- an exclusive community built especially for people on the autistic spectrum. If you are curious as to how this would work out, google the Warsaw Ghetto and the uprising of 1943.

It was a real gas...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:23 pm

You don't want to Google the Warsaw Ghetto....unless you have a REAL strong stomach.....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:41 pm

... but that is the only way that people will learn what happens when you put a large community of unwanted people in a walled-off neighborhood and surround them with guards, barbed wire, and police dogs “for their protection”.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:15 pm

I just finished watching a documentary on the Warsaw Ghetto. I was very curious after reading this thread yesterday.
This is the reason that I'm against the idea of a segregated community for autistic people. The Nazis are alive and well and they come in all nationalities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfbWsjeePKg

Watch at your own risk. I watched it out of curiosity. I'm now questioning myself and the things that I like.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:24 pm

Sorry about that, CR, but the truth needs to be told. If we're not aware of Bad History, it might happen again.

In the 1930s and 1940s, it was Nazi Germany against the Jews and Slavs.

These days, its the Curebies against the Autistics.

We don't need another ghetto.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:33 pm

My mission in life is to show people that Germans are not monsters. If I want to wear the helmets, this needs to be my mission. I made a rule with myself that once I lay a hand on anyone for any reason that my helmets can't leave my apartment anymore. I was being hassled by a scam artist last summer. The housekeeper who cleans the buildings in my neighbourhood told me to just push that woman to the side if she hassles me. I'm not going to do that to her or anyone, because I don't want to lose my own unique privilege that I gave myself. I should think about my mission instead of questioning myself.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:41 pm

I'm of Germanic descent, too. My surname is recognized in certain parts of northern Europe as belonging to a family of wealthy land-owners (c.late 1500s) who weren't very nice to the people who worked their lands. I haven't been to that region of Germany in decades, due to some rude treatment there.

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2018, 6:43 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
I get concerned when pregnant women are getting ultrasound X-rays month after month while they are pregnant

What on Earth are "ultrasound X-rays"?

ultrasound = mechanical vibration with frequency higher than human-audible sound.
X-ray = electromagnetic radiation with frequency higher than ultra-violet.

Thank you! I was completely baffled by that as well. They are completely different medical tests.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 4:39 am

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
I like it, too. So far, however, the only solution being offered is “Aspergia” -- an exclusive community built especially for people on the autistic spectrum. If you are curious as to how this would work out, google the Warsaw Ghetto and the uprising of 1943.

It was a real gas...

A stronger, better organized subculture need not be the same thing as an an exclusive community. There are important positive lessons we can learn from the LGBT community.

IMO we need to build autistic-friendly subcultures, but not autistics-ONLY subcultures.