Difference between a date and a hang out?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 10:39 am

I prefer not to make a distinction. For me, they're interchangeable. And yes, it's possible to "group date."

The difference is what people perceive as a date and hangout. Dates are considered to be romantic in purpose. Hangouts are not.

I dislike the distinction because I'm uncomfortable with the dichotomy even being there in the first place. You can't get a date without knowing someone in the first place. So if you ask someone out on a date to get to know them, you get creepzoned. But if you just hangout, now you're friendzoned.

There has to be some middle ground here, else nobody ever gets together. A casual gtg hangout starts with a "just friends" assumption, but there's no reason to assume it will ALWAYS be or that it ONLY CAN be friend zone status (as opposed to "friendzone"). You never know when that might change.

So it's easier to just "hangout" because it's safer and there are fewer assumptions or expectations as with a "date-date." My goal is simply to go out with a girl and not spend a full weekend alone. Whether I do this casually, as a "date-date," or with a group matters not. If calling it a date offends you, then we won't call it that. As long as it gets the job done, I don't care what you call it.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 10:55 am

wanderlust77 wrote:
Bettaponic thanks for claryfing it.
What do you do on dates then? When you ask a girl out, where do you take them? What do you nomally do?

To be honest you can do the same place for a date and hang out. The friend who lives here. We go to the park sometimes. She and her boyfriend love the park too.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 11:54 am

BettaPonic wrote:
wanderlust77 wrote:
Bettaponic thanks for claryfing it.
What do you do on dates then? When you ask a girl out, where do you take them? What do you nomally do?

To be honest you can do the same place for a date and hang out. The friend who lives here. We go to the park sometimes. She and her boyfriend love the park too.

She has a boyfriend - end of story - therefore your example doesn't apply to her situation.

I am sure she was asking in case both are singles.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

She has a boyfriend - end of story - therefore your example doesn't apply to her situation.

I am sure she was asking in case both are singles.

Thanks Boo.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 1:45 pm

Alright, I still don't have a clue what's the difference.
No flirting? Well, I have a mate and we do flirt, making sexual remarks, he is very touchy too.
Paying for the date. Guys tend to be generous, my guy friends always buy me drinks, I can hardly keep up to buy the next round.
I went on holidays with guy friends, only the two of us, for 4 days with one of them, and for a week with the other one.
I do things with guys as a hang out I would consider romantic. Watching the sunset together, having a picnic at the riverside, staying out in a park until dark then watching the stars and talk about some deep stuff, dancing on the street at midnight when the snow started falling.
If these are all just friendly hang outs, what counts as a date????????????????
I'm so confused.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 2:03 pm

^Did sex happen with any of them?

All those sound like dates to me honestly.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 2:10 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

No, it didn't as they all insisted on being friends only.
This is why I am so confused by now. How should I know when a guy is being friendly or actually wants something?

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 2:28 pm

I've hung out with female friends one-on-one all the time and only been on a few dates. For me the difference is whether we call it a date, pretty much.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 2:42 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

This is why I am so confused by now. How should I know when a guy is being friendly or actually wants something?

They all want something.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 6:15 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

So they sexually flirt with and touch you but insiste it's just friends. I'd never ever in a million years sexual flirt with or touch a female friend. That stuff is for relationships

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

sly279 wrote:
wanderlust77 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

So they sexually flirt with and touch you but insiste it's just friends. I'd never ever in a million years sexual flirt with or touch a female friend. That stuff is for relationships

To each her own. Some girls are more physical than others.

Here's a crazy one for ya: my relationship status is quite prominently known. I helped a coworker with something on her phone and she kissed me. Not on the mouth, but still... I was a little creeped out, but some people are just like that. I'm pretty selective about who gets that close to me, and that totally caught me off guard. An NT wouldn't give it another thought. There's no way she's interested in me sexually or romantically any more than I'd be interested in her. And yet she did that.

You have to decide whether something like that is a big deal to you or not, especially if it's a coworker, because that has the potential to become abusive. I rather tend to go with the flow until it's apparent boundaries are being crossed.

It's kinda like how I was bullied all through school. Kids pick on each other ALL THE TIME and nobody cares. I had a hard time understanding that and seeing trades insults as a twisted form of affection. I took it personally, which made me look like a jerk to everyone else, and then all the insults began taking a much darker tone.

Now I get it and prefer to fall for the jokes. Today one of my students told me to say this: "you're too young to do that." I knew where that was going, but I went there anyway, and she said, "yeah, well you're too old to be alive!" The last part I said with her in unison. If they DIDN'T like me, they'd either ignore me, or the jokes would be painfully brutal. I know this because I've had kids track me down and vandalize my house. I had to report them to the police before they left me alone.

Getting back to the point about how girls treat you, there are as many different reasons for why they act like that as there are girls. Some get their kicks from teasing guys. They think it's funny. Some just have a strange or nonexistent sense of boundaries. Some just love everyone. And occasionally there might be a girl who really is into you. If a girl gets off on being a tease, even if her intent is to be abusive by so doing, I still look at it as, hey, I STILL got attention from a girl! YES!! ! Is she manipulating me by being a tease, or am I manipulating her into giving me attention because I already know she's a tease? Does it even really matter? As far as I'm concerned, I'm good unless she's doing something with me that poses a risk to my career or educational aspirations. Or, in my current situation would be disruptive to my family life. My coworker is really not a threat. She's harmless. But a just little more than what she did could cost me TWO jobs and my family.

A single guy doesn't have to worry about that. So if you're getting any attention at all, whether it's genuine or superficial, just relax and enjoy it. It sure beats nothing!

imhere
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Sep 2017, 10:01 pm

wanderlust77 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

When you say "wants something", what is it that you think they might want? Do you think that what they want is something negative or positive? In other words, are you using the word want to indicate they are genuinely interested on you romantically or do you think they want something on a negative way, like using you?

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2017, 12:42 am

AngelRho wrote:
sly279 wrote:
wanderlust77 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

To each her own. Some girls are more physical than others.

Here's a crazy one for ya: my relationship status is quite prominently known. I helped a coworker with something on her phone and she kissed me. Not on the mouth, but still... I was a little creeped out, but some people are just like that. I'm pretty selective about who gets that close to me, and that totally caught me off guard. An NT wouldn't give it another thought. There's no way she's interested in me sexually or romantically any more than I'd be interested in her. And yet she did that.

You have to decide whether something like that is a big deal to you or not, especially if it's a coworker, because that has the potential to become abusive. I rather tend to go with the flow until it's apparent boundaries are being crossed.

It's kinda like how I was bullied all through school. Kids pick on each other ALL THE TIME and nobody cares. I had a hard time understanding that and seeing trades insults as a twisted form of affection. I took it personally, which made me look like a jerk to everyone else, and then all the insults began taking a much darker tone.

Now I get it and prefer to fall for the jokes. Today one of my students told me to say this: "you're too young to do that." I knew where that was going, but I went there anyway, and she said, "yeah, well you're too old to be alive!" The last part I said with her in unison. If they DIDN'T like me, they'd either ignore me, or the jokes would be painfully brutal. I know this because I've had kids track me down and vandalize my house. I had to report them to the police before they left me alone.

Getting back to the point about how girls treat you, there are as many different reasons for why they act like that as there are girls. Some get their kicks from teasing guys. They think it's funny. Some just have a strange or nonexistent sense of boundaries. Some just love everyone. And occasionally there might be a girl who really is into you. If a girl gets off on being a tease, even if her intent is to be abusive by so doing, I still look at it as, hey, I STILL got attention from a girl! YES!! ! Is she manipulating me by being a tease, or am I manipulating her into giving me attention because I already know she's a tease? Does it even really matter? As far as I'm concerned, I'm good unless she's doing something with me that poses a risk to my career or educational aspirations. Or, in my current situation would be disruptive to my family life. My coworker is really not a threat. She's harmless. But a just little more than what she did could cost me TWO jobs and my family.

A single guy doesn't have to worry about that. So if you're getting any attention at all, whether it's genuine or superficial, just relax and enjoy it. It sure beats nothing!

I am not sure you understood but I am the girl in this case. Single guys tease me, hug me and flirt with me and hang out with me and we do stuff I would consider very romantic. Listed above in one of my replies.

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2017, 10:00 am

OP, You should kiss one of your guy friends while hanging out, see how they react.

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2017, 12:33 pm

There's a couple of reasons why a single guy just wants to remain friends, or not get into a relationship with you.

1. He's not physically attracted to you. For a lot of guys, the physical attraction is necessary. Guys are very visual, if there's no physical attraction, then they wont want to f*k you or get into relationship with you. If they like you enough, they'll keep you around as a friend.

2. He thinks he can find someone better For many guys, it's not that they're afraid of commitment. They're just afraid of committing to you because they think they can find someone better in the long run. So they'll keep you around but only for friends, or friends with benefits or f*k buddy so when they finally find someone better, they'll leave you.

So how do you make a guy want to get into a relationship with you? You get better, you give a guy a reason to stay and you do that by increasing your value.

If you're fat, lose weight. Obese = unattractive. If you dress like a slob, start dressing nice. Work on yourself, work on your career and education. Don't underestimate the power of confidence. It's well known that women like confident men but it's also the other way around. Confident women are very sexy.

Start caring about how you look if you havent already.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2017, 5:01 pm

ShadowProphet wrote:
OP, You should kiss one of your guy friends while hanging out, see how they react.

I kissed one of them. He said I was way too drunk. Yah actually I probably was too drunk otherwise I wouldn't have had the courage.