Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 9:09 pm

Mikah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
"Post-Natal abortion" is.......murder.

How did anybody come up with this euphemism?

I use it for effect, the original idea is credited to two scientists philosophers monsters? (I should point out they were talking about severe developmental abnormalities - but if abortion is justified for any other reason... you might ask why not):

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/0 ... 00411.full

Edit: strike that, they are even considering when the newborn is not disabled:

some truly questionable people wrote:
Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.

Emphasis mine.

Yikes! To call these depraved lunatics "monsters" is an insult to monsters. This is the inevitable result of believing that people are not sacred, that they are just electro-chemical accidents of nature and don't have souls.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 10:31 am

Lintar wrote:
Quote:
quote="GnosticBishop"]1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Hey, something we agree on :D

Good. I sold you on my first commandment.

Quote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Should nature reward the less fit with the same benefits that the most fit gain? Is that what you meant by justice?

You speak of "nature" as though it had a mind. Nature, and the mistakenly-labelled "natural selection", doesn't get to decide anything. Decisions are only ever made by conscious agents. "Less fit" means... ? What, in your view? Whenever I think of "fitness" within the realm of biology, I understand it to mean that an individual or species is well adapted for the environmental niche that it just happens to find itself in. That's what it really means in the Darwinian sense, and has little, if anything, to do with physical strength (as is popularly believed).

Well, I am not going to argue for Darwin's position against you. If you want to deny evolution and natural selection, I will let you live with that. I will stick with Darwin.
Quote:

I equate justice with fairness; what people receive is proportional to what they deserve,

Do you think Hitler got what he deserved for his genocide of the Jews?

Do you think Yahweh got what he deserved for the genocide of man?

Quote:
which results in a situation where disadvantage and privilege become non-existent.

So in one fell swoop, you would destroy man's hierarchical demographic pyramid which nature has maintained forever. Ok.

You do know that the flat communistic type of demography you envisage has never been shown to work. Right?
Quote:

Justice, like energy and momentum, is conserved. That's the simplest way to put it.

A poor analogy.
Quote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
We are talking morals, not maths.
[/quote]

Proofs are only ever mathematical though. [/quote]

Tell that to a court of law.

I must say, compared to some of the other answers you have given that showed intelligence, this reply is showing a lack of thought.

Quote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
But if you think that faith without proofs is better than logic and reason with proofs, then you show how poor of a thinker you are. IMO of course.

You must be thinking like Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

You don't understand faith.

Yes I do. Faith is basically saying that you do not want to know the truth and will settle for lies.

Quote:
Faith isn't a blind acceptance of a belief in the absence of evidence, or (worse) an acceptance of a belief in spite of the evidence, but an admission of one's inability to truly understand the true nature of reality and thus coming to a decision to live one's life based upon a certain premise. For example, the belief in an objective reality that somehow exists "out there" isn't something that can be demonstrated scientifically, has no proof, no evidence, and not even a good philosophical argument in its favour. Even so, most of us accept the notion. Why? Simply because it makes practical sense to do so.

[/quote]

???

No proof of an objective reality?

Go stand in the street and ignore the car coming at you and pretend it is subjective. Let us know after you are run over whether the objective proof your eyes saw just before you got run over was real or not.

Regards
DL

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 4:45 pm

I prefer the Charge of the Goddess :D

Quote:
Listen to the words of the Great Mother, who was of old also called Artemis; Astarte; Diana; Melusine; Aphrodite; Cerridwen; Dana; Arianrhod; Isis; Bride; and by many other names.

Whenever ye have need of anything, once in a month, and better it be when the Moon be full, then ye shall assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of me, who am Queen of all Witcheries.

There shall ye assemble, ye who are fain to learn all sorcery, yet have not yet won its deepest secrets: to these will I teach things that are yet unknown.

And ye shall be free from slavery; and as a sign that ye are really free, ye shall be naked in your rites; and ye shall dance, sing, feast, make music and love, all in my praise.

For mine is the ecstasy of the spirit and mine also is joy on earth; for my Law is Love unto all Beings.

Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever toward it; let naught stop you or turn you aside.

For mine is the secret door which opens upon the Land of Youth; and mine is the Cup of the Wine of Life, and the Cauldron of Cerridwen, which is the Holy Grail of Immortality.

I am the Gracious Goddess, who gives the gift of joy unto the heart. Upon earth, I give the knowledge of the spirit eternal; and beyond death, I give peace, and freedom, and reunion with those who have gone before. Nor do I demand sacrifice, for behold I am the Mother of All Living, and my love is poured out upon the earth.

Hear ye the words of the Star Goddess, she in the dust of whose feet are the hosts of heaven; whose body encircleth the Universe; I, who am the beauty of the green earth, and the white Moon among the stars, and the mystery of the waters, and the heart’s desire, call unto thy soul. Arise and come unto me.

For I am the Soul of Nature, who giveth life to the universe; from me all things proceed, and unto me must all things return; and before my face, beloved of gods and mortals, thine inmost divine self shall be unfolded in the rapture of infinite joy.

Let my worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honour and humility, mirth and reverence within you.

And thou who thinkest to seek for me, know thy seeking and yearning shall avail thee not, unless thou know this mystery: that if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee, thou wilt never find it without thee.

For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning; and I am that which is attained at the end of desire.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 4:48 pm

Barchan wrote:
I prefer the Charge of the Goddess :D

I will read that after I get your answer to my question.

Regards
DL

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

Quote:
You speak of "nature" as though it had a mind. Nature, and the mistakenly-labelled "natural selection", doesn't get to decide anything. Decisions are only ever made by conscious agents. "Less fit" means... ? What, in your view? Whenever I think of "fitness" within the realm of biology, I understand it to mean that an individual or species is well adapted for the environmental niche that it just happens to find itself in. That's what it really means in the Darwinian sense, and has little, if anything, to do with physical strength (as is popularly believed).

GnosticBishop wrote:
Well, I am not going to argue for Darwin's position against you. If you want to deny evolution and natural selection, I will let you live with that. I will stick with Darwin.

My position WAS Darwin's position. The hackneyed cliche "survival of the fittest" means exactly what I said it did in that quote of mine. It has nothing to do with physical strength and eliminating one's "competition".

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:27 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Do you think Hitler got what he deserved for his genocide of the Jews?

Do you think Yahweh got what he deserved for the genocide of man?

Eh... ?

GnosticBishop wrote:
So in one fell swoop, you would destroy man's hierarchical demographic pyramid which nature has maintained forever. Ok.

You do know that the flat communistic type of demography you envisage has never been shown to work. Right?

Yes, I WOULD! :D

GnosticBishop wrote:
Tell that to a court of law.

As I said before - proof is only ever mathematical, and as for "courts of law", those who work within them would agree with me. Nothing is ever proven in a court of law; it's all about establishing sufficient motive and uncovering sufficient evidence (not "proof"), and "beyond reasonable doubt" to convict someone (if it is a criminal case one has in mind, and not one of the other countless reasons for being there).

GnosticBishop wrote:
I must say, compared to some of the other answers you have given that showed intelligence, this reply is showing a lack of thought.

Gee, thanks :roll:

GnosticBishop wrote:
Yes I do. Faith is basically saying that you do not want to know the truth and will settle for lies.

No, it ISN'T! This is the kind of thing that an unthinking wannabe Dawkins would say on YouTube. It's utterly idiotic, completely moronic, 100% false.

GnosticBishop wrote:
???

That's right, there isn't! If you think there is then show it to me, here and now! I dare you to. Go on, prove to me that you yourself exist. PROVE it, don't just provide evidence.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

Go stand in the street and ignore the car coming at you and pretend it is subjective. Let us know after you are run over whether the objective proof your eyes saw just before you got run over was real or not.

Regards
DL

You do of course realise that within any self-consistent and self-contained reality (like a computer game, ex. "The Sims") that had it's own internal logic and rules of physics, everything would appear to the characters within it to be "real". The fact that there are rules, that if I were to be run over by a bus within our own "reality" it would result in my death, does not, in and of itself, demonstrate the objective nature of our reality.

I could have a lucid dream within which I die, and upon dying I wake up to this "reality" we apparently all share. Quite often the dreams I do have seem more real than what I am now doing, happily typing away my response to your idiotic objections. :P

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm

Lintar.

Thanks for this.

Regards
DL