Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:14 pm

This is something I've been thinking about a lot while looking for a second job (what I do now won't last forever). The common career advice is to do anything in STEM, which was a nightmare for me.

What's out there for the Aspies who aren't inclined towards STEM topics but more towards language, art, visual design, etc? Are there some interesting success stories in other fields?

hundertsieben
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2017, 10:05 am

edit: sorry i didn't read the second part of your question :P

Hey,
I'm in STEM right now and I hate it.
I'm currently considering some craft like carpenter or shoemaker. I'm really a wood and hard physical work person and they're not jobs where I'll have to do difficult social tasks like read people's faces. I'll probably just get orders and do them; or maybe later i'll give orders and they'll get done. All fine.
You could think about any craft where you can work in a bigger company, which means you won't have to talk to costumers that much.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm

hundertsieben wrote:
edit: sorry i didn't read the second part of your question :P

Hey,
I'm in STEM right now and I hate it.
I'm currently considering some craft like carpenter or shoemaker. I'm really a wood and hard physical work person and they're not jobs where I'll have to do difficult social tasks like read people's faces. I'll probably just get orders and do them; or maybe later i'll give orders and they'll get done. All fine.
You could think about any craft where you can work in a bigger company, which means you won't have to talk to costumers that much.

Crafts are pretty neat. I've considered something like baking, pastry chef, etc, long-term at a smaller location, but other than that I don't know what options would work out. A lot of creative careers involve heavy networking or are risk-heavy. The customers I don't mind in small doses, I just think I'd die somewhere like sales or big offices.

hundertsieben
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

I've decided for myself that I can't have an occupation that's full of risks like not finding work or being self-employed. Things would just change too quickly, it would just stress my out totally.