Yes 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
No 77%  77%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 60

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 10:00 am

This_Amoeba wrote:
I'm taking college world history right now and I love it, especially ancient world history.

Cool! I hope you gain more knowledge in those classes! :D

TheGreatEscapist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2017, 6:21 pm

I really enjoy history.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 5:11 am

Yes and no. I never liked it at school because I found it depressing to learn about all the wars and genocides, and my other lessons didn't make up for that. At the same time we were learning about Nazis in history, we were doing about death row in RS.

I used to imagine a fluttering butterfly whenever I was stuck in history, it served as a quick reminder to myself that there is still some fleeting beauty in this world. Sometimes I needed that.

After I left school, I actually discovered historical events that I am interested in researching. I've watched documentaries on Stonewall, and I like to learn about different classes and cultures. But at school, I feel like if it all these sad events hadn't been dumped on us all at once, and instead they slowly worked up to it, then maybe I would've enjoyed it more.

Sometimes I saw kids laughing at horrible events, like Hiroshima, seemed weird at the time, but I guess that was just their way of coping with all the unpleasant things we were learning about. That's what dark humour relies on.

I realise why all these events were important to learn about, but they were sometimes a bit much to take in at the time.

Most people in art class drew pictures about self-harm, negative body image, and things of that ilk. I drew butterflies at the beach. There tends to be this widespread idea that happiness is inherently shallow, and that only
sadness can be meaningful, which I think is utterly pretentious and downright wrong. Sometimes the simplest of things can be beautiful, especially when used to contrast and complement more complex themes. :)

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 11:41 am

History has always been one of my favorite subjects.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm

It used to be at school where all they wanted me to do was memorising facts, names and dated and I sucked at it. I like patterns and connections, thare are plenty of them in history but not the way it was taught to me.
As a grownup, I started to be kind of interested in history but not in the name-date-fact manner. I rather like to look at history as an evolution of the culture I'm living in, evolution of cultural, political and philosophical ideas taking real-life shape. It gives so much perspective into seeing where we are now.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kovu
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2017, 1:09 pm

Yes, even though official history isn't very honest.

The Internet taught me way more real history than my old school.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

Kovu wrote:
Yes, even though official history isn't very honest.

The Internet taught me way more real history than my old school.

How do you decide what is and what is not honest on the internet?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 5:14 pm

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

hvtitan08
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2017, 11:59 am

History is never boring to me. The more I learn about the American Civil War and the First World War, (aka "WWI"), the more smarter I get.
I've liked history in general since 11th Grade. I have decided to major in History when I go to college in the future.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:30 pm

No, I have always loved learning history. Part of it has to do with a connection that I have with coin collecting. As a kid, I always wondered who had spent the coins that I ended up with. Another part of it is that I tend to find strange things at auctions and garage sales, things that should not normally be there. I do not know why but they "call" to me. It is how I ended up with a real midevil Dane axe for the grand total of $1. Everyone there thought it was an old "Indian" (Native American) tomahawk with a long handle or an old farming tool. But, I knew exactly what it was.

As an college undergrad, it was one of my minors (History, Math and Physics). I took all types of history classes just for fun and for stress relief. My mind is naturally set to absorb facts, be it scientific, mathematical or historical. On the other hand, history majors in my classes did not think it was fun to have me blow their exam curves. All their hard work studying together went up in smoke by an outsider. I told them to please do the same back to me with my science classes and I would not get angry about it. I would have enjoyed the challenge. Yeah, they hated me with a passion.

Andrew Rodgers
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2018, 8:15 am

I want to answer both yes and no. It can be very boring, but you can discover a lot of interesting facts as well!
But in general I think that every person have to know her/his story and story of your country.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 9:53 am

Depends on how it's presented.

The classroom manages to make almost anything boring.

I really enjoyed the TV show CONNECTIONS by James Burke and the podcast Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Both of these guys describe a world of interwoven events that have world changing results while school coursework focuses on remembering dates, historical biographies, or battles.