Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tsurumi_aoyama
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2017, 2:05 pm

A smart phone with google maps would be more useful, which is what I have been using.

NoNormie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2017, 2:13 pm

firemonkey wrote:
My sense of direction is poor and I'm wondering whether a GPS would help. Would poor map reading skills be a barrier to using one? I am not sure how a GPS would explain things .

A GPS certainly doesn't help me; I'm completely incapable of reading maps, GPS or no GPS.

I personally orient myself with the help of concrete things, such as trees, buildings that stand out, corner shops, parks, and so on. Over the years, I've developed a system that serves me very well for getting places. I know the city well in very general terms, so I take a bus to the somewhere in the general vicinity I know how to get to. Once there, I repeatedly ask people to direct me to the place I am going. They'll usually give complex directions, such as "second left, third right", and so on, which I can't handle, but I can remember the first portion. After completing the first portion, I just ask someone else again. Once I have been to the place once, I can follow the same route in the exact same way again. The first time I go to a place, I leave a lot of extra time to allow for this.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 2:15 pm

Generally, in order for me to learn how to get to a place, I have to find it myself. If I follow someone somewhere, it's very common that I won't actually learn how to get there, and then I get comments like "We've gone there 3 times - how can you not know how to get there?"

I wonder whether a GPS would cause the same issue. Would I actually learn how to get to a place the same way as if I found it myself, or would it cause the same problem as following someone causes?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

tsurumi_aoyama wrote:
A smart phone with google maps would be more useful, which is what I have been using.

The wrinkle in that is, are there enough otherwise not used resources with which to buy a smartphone and get service for it?
firemonkey wrote:
I guess a lot of people use google maps/GPS on their smartphone, but I don't have one.

NoNormie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
Generally, in order for me to learn how to get to a place, I have to find it myself. If I follow someone somewhere, it's very common that I won't actually learn how to get there, and then I get comments like "We've gone there 3 times - how can you not know how to get there?"

I wonder whether a GPS would cause the same issue. Would I actually learn how to get to a place the same way as if I found it myself, or would it cause the same problem as following someone causes?

Very recognisable!! !

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:15 pm

NoNormie wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
My sense of direction is poor and I'm wondering whether a GPS would help. Would poor map reading skills be a barrier to using one? I am not sure how a GPS would explain things .

A GPS certainly doesn't help me; I'm completely incapable of reading maps, GPS or no GPS.

I personally orient myself with the help of concrete things, such as trees, buildings that stand out, corner shops, parks, and so on. Over the years, I've developed a system that serves me very well for getting places. I know the city well in very general terms, so I take a bus to the somewhere in the general vicinity I know how to get to. Once there, I repeatedly ask people to direct me to the place I am going. They'll usually give complex directions, such as "second left, third right", and so on, which I can't handle, but I can remember the first portion. After completing the first portion, I just ask someone else again. Once I have been to the place once, I can follow the same route in the exact same way again. The first time I go to a place, I leave a lot of extra time to allow for this.

Map reading is definitely a problem for me. I'll tend to rely on landmarks too.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

Ive had a GPS since 2004. I have a horrible sense of direction and wouldn't be able to stop frim getting lost unless I was in a familiar place using a familiar route. 4 Garmin GPS units later, I just use Google maps for everything on my smartphone. GPS units completely relieve any anxiety I have when driving or traveling as it is impossible to get lost. The only advantage that a stand alone GPS unit has is that it uses just satellites rather than satellites, wifi, cell towers and thus can be used unlimited and doesn't rely on a data plan.

My smartphone helps me more than just GPS, it aids my poor executive functioning by remembering and organizing all my appointments, helps me manage my bills and finances, is my primary means of socializing among other uses.