your favorite anime? (i need recommendations)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

floodwater
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2017, 11:45 pm

i just finished watching the disasterous life of saiki k, and i'm all caught up with shingeki no bahamut: virgin soul...... it's so hard to find anime and i need more series. i've seen a lot but i'll take any recommendations whether they're mainstream or not.. my favorite genres are action/fighting, sci-fi, and fantasy. i love shows with interesting characters and good pacing and art style. soul eater is probably my favorite classic anime, and boku no hero academia is my favorite recent anime. i'm so bored i just need stuff to watch

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 5:29 am

I have also been watching My Hero Academia and love it. These would be my recommendations for recent-ish anime in your preferred genres.

Action/fighting: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Fate/Stay Night UBW
Sci-fi: Steins;Gate, Code Geass
Fantasy: Death Note, KonoSuba, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Madoka Magica

Also I know you asked for TV series but if you haven't yet, you should definitely watch the film Your Name.

MyAnimeList

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 8:06 am

I have quite the viewing size myself, and am always willing to post some recommendations, which can always depend on my mood.

You like action and sci-fi? Then I might recommend what I think is a little less mainstream with Knights of Sidonia, it can be a pretty full on series where it can approach some Attack on Titan like elements, it uses full CGI animation, which might feel odd at first, but it actually I think manages to have some interesting effects, and works well with the mecha. It might be a little light on characters though, but it has an interesting setting.

A more fantasy action series, I might put out the recommendation of Rokka of the Six Braves, which is sort of a fantasy hero show, that works as sort of a mystery, which might be an interesting watch. I think that it also should work to meet wanting to have some interesting characters.

The Seven Deadly Sins is a fantasy show which has some pretty bombastic and fun characters, or really the show itself enjoys being over the top, but always with its fun super powered main characters.

And one more sci-fi show, I might recommend Heroman, a sort of criminally underappreciated anime that goes the super American route, and interestingly I think has some Marvel ties, that you may see a cameo, if you are into that sort of thing. Many people think it is a shame it has not gone over to the west.

And because I like to recommend it, I will say Kill la Kill if not already watched, a really fun action series. Some people seem to think at first that its unconventional animation style that it is bad art, but instead it does some very interesting things with its art in a creative way while not actually being "cheap", with great pacing, and I think pretty great characters which are all stylised in interesting ways.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 10:11 am

My favorite anime is Sailor Moon, which is a magical girl anime. The plot is an excellent one, and the characters are also well created.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 13, 2017)

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 12:39 am

My top 10 are

Gintama
One Piece
Gj-Bu
Toriko
Fairy Tail
seitokai yakuindomo
Kiniro Mosaic
One Punch Man
Beelzebub
Mitsudomoe

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2017, 1:06 am

Try rick and morty or bojack horseman they arnt animes but are animated and you will probably love both.

Also uhhh Maoyū Maō Yūsha

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 2:18 am

Oh if we are going to include non Japanese animation I would recommend RWBY for action. I don't think you can find better animated action sequences than what's in the first couple of seasons of RWBY.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 2:51 am

Bleach
Gintama
Dururara!
Blue Exorcist
Black Cat
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
07 Ghost
Psychopass

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Bleach
Gintama
Dururara!
Blue Exorcist
Black Cat
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
07 Ghost
Psychopass

Great, another Gintama fan. Gintoki forever.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 9:56 pm

^ Gintama cracks me up so much!

Love the dynamics between Gintoki and Hijikata Toushirou especially.

CaptainChemosh
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2017, 12:14 am

Neon Genesis Evangelion if you want psychological trauma and mecha combat, or Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, for a wickedly delightful ride through the dark side of fantasy. Konosuba for well written comedy anime, and Overlord for exposition heavy awesomeness. Oh, and Code Geass is always good if you don't mind a bit of military drama.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2017, 10:31 am

My favorite fantasy anime:

Little Witch Academia (OVAs and TV series) - An engrossing fantasy world with very likable characters and a unique feel similar to Saturday morning cartoons that very few anime have.
Made in Abyss - One of the best anime of the year so far. A great fantasy that balances the sense of adventure and the grimdark undertone of its world very well.
Princess Tutu - Don't judge this one by its title; it got me out of an "anime funk" where I hadn't watched anything in over a year. Very compelling, surprisingly dark fairytale fantasy.

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2017, 8:58 am

Does Voltron Legendary Defender count as an anime? I'm not sure. They don't have big sparkly eyes and small mouths or anything but it still looks kinda anime-y to me. But you should watch it.

It sounds kinda silly at first but the characters are really good - it's about these 5 space school student people that go into outer space and they form these psychic-ish link with these robot lions that form to make one big robot dude called Voltron and they defend the galaxy from the evil Galran empire in Voltron whilst they travel on Princess Allura's ship with Coran (Coran, the gorgeous man.. Reference. Sorry.)

Plus two of the characters seem kinda autistic to me so I like it (Pidge and Keith.) And they are autistic in different ways, if that makes sense, they aren't confirmed autistic but it's more than "ohh, let's just throw in a stereotypical autistic person for ~diversity~ and not take into account that not all autistic people may be the same" but it's more like.. Pidge and Keith are completely different people. And I love them. And there's Shiro who also has stuff as well.

icechai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2017, 4:24 pm

Action/Drama
Ghost in the Shell (the first couple of series)
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Durarara!

Action but with some comedy
Gintama
One Punch Man

Slice of life/comedies
Polar Bear Cafe
Orenji no furo jijou (there's a merman in my bathtub)
Gogure Kokkuri San
Tanaka Kun is Always Listless
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Non Non Biyori

Some other ones too, they'll come back to me at some point

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 10:14 am

I recommend Hell Girl (Jigoku Shoujo), Steins;Gate, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu, Paranoia Agent, Planetes, Witch Hunter Robin, Ergo Proxy, and Watamote.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2017, 4:58 pm

Ok, so my top picks for each of your listed genre's are
Action: The Fate series (watch in this order:
1. The original fate/stay night (by DEEN) (this one isn't great but it will make you appreciate the rest of them better)
2. Fate/Zero (The best one in my opinion)
3. Fate/Unlimited blade works

Sci-fi: Aldnoah.Zero (Source of my profile pic)

Fantasy: Gate: and so the jsdf fought

But here are some more recommendations

The sci-fi fantasy action hybrid: Re:Creators
The breakout hit fantasy: Re:Zero (no relation to Re:Creators)
The highly influential Mecha: Neon Genesis Evangelion

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)