Canadian judge suspended for wearing pro Trump hat

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 8:57 am

Canadian judge suspended for wearing 'Make America Great Again' hat

Quote:
A Canadian judge will get a 30-day suspension for wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat in court.

Justice Bernd Zabel was given a 30-day suspension without pay and a formal reprimand

The suspension comes after an Ontario Judicial Council panel last month held a hearing that looked into complaints received against the judge for wearing the hat bearing President Trump's campaign slogan in court on Nov. 9, 2016, the day after Trump's victory.

“What would a reasonable member of the public think upon seeing Justice Zabel enter the courtroom wearing Trump’s signature red ‘Make America Great Again’ hat and state that he did so ‘in celebration of an historic event’?” the panel asked, according to The National Post.

“A reasonable member of the public would think that Justice Zabel was making a political statement and endorsing Donald Trump’s campaign.”
Zabel said his decision to wear the hat was a joke, but noted it was "ill-considered" and has since apologized for his actions.

The panel said in making its decision, it was faced with a "stark contrast between the perception create by the November 9 incident and the reality of an experienced and fair-minded judge.”

Zabel engaged in "serious misconduct," the panel said, but added that his actions were "completely at odds with the exemplary judge he has been for the past 27 years."

I do not see that there is any conflict of interest. A case related to the American election is unlikely to come before him. If he was presiding over an immigration case it might be intimidating.

The Judge had a stellar record and the punishment did not fit the "crime" for the first time "offender". I am not familiar with rules guiding what Canadian judges can wear, that said I doubt that if Hillary won and he wore an "I'm With Her" hat that this would be anything more than a brief news item in the local paper.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 10:10 am

I agree that the punishment did not fit the crime----I feel that a cease and desist letter, would've been enough, probably; then, if he didn't comply, suspend him for a week.

I DON'T agree that it was alright for him to have done it, though. If he wanted to wear it around the office, that would've been okay----but, politics shouldn't be in a courtroom, IMO.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 10:16 am

That would be considered "political grandstanding" in New York City......

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

I thought hats weren't allowed in a courtroom period.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm

Hats are not allowed in New York City courtrooms.

People can't even bring newspapers to read.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

I think that was a bit of an overreaction from the person who suspended the judge. I think the judge should have been suspended for 5-7 days instead.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 11:41 am

Hats aren't allowed in courtrooms down here either.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 8:33 am

A judge shouldn't be allowed to wear political apparel while serving their duty period.