Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASNerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2017, 9:18 am

I know that ASD is something you have your entire life since birth, but since my symptoms manifested fully, I've been less creative. I had friends a few years ago and did improv. I could be creative and come up with pretty good lines. Fast forward to now, I'm awkward and my mind goes blank during improv. I'm terrible coming up with things to draw. I feel like I lost creativity over the years. Is this because of my autism? Have others experienced this?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:40 am

Can't say I have. I'm still just as creative as I was as a kid - if not more so, in fact.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

I'm fairly creative---and I was a classic autistic person when I was much younger.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2017, 9:58 am

I doubt they are related. Many have noted famous artists, writers and composers who were very likely Aspergers. I was recently reading Beethoven's letters and they were often like this: "Dear Countess, I am so sorry that I didn't recognize you last evening. There could have been too many people in the room or I was distracted. I want you to know how much I value your financial support." The certain "distance" a creative ASD has from casual social interaction could even contribute to more "original thinking."

There are earlier discussions of this topic to be found.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 11:36 am

Could a possible co-morbid condition be what's happening?

Losing creativity you had previously can sometimes be associated with a state of depression. Could it be depression in your case?

Depression, anxiety and/or feeling distracted by stress can hamper some people's creative drive or interest.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 11:49 am

I've always been very creative. I have a vivid imagination as well.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 9:38 pm

I have had a fair bit to do with musicians, writers and artists throughout my life. Looking back from a position of awareness that I lacked at the time throughout those decades, I recognise many as on the spectrum, and AS people were over-represented amongst the musicians - far more than you would expect given the percentage of AS people in the general population. I didn't notice that with the artists much though - they were more likely to be mentally ill rather than on the spectrum. The AS writers were not so many though they were gifted enough to win important writing prizes. I know others who are creative in other ways - making things to their own designs with great creative flair.

However the musicians stand out and I would guess that in any major orchestra you would find a fair number.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2017, 10:04 am

I am more creative now than I have ever been I think. I still write, play and make cigar box guitars. I just re-wrote the autism training session I used to do (very good it is too if I do say so myself)

Like some else said depression can take that kinda thing away, it fact losing interest in things you used to like is diagnostic

BBC: Radio 4

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

I have always been really creative and imaginative my whole life.

Phrygian

14 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

I am very creative, always was. I thought aspergers was somewhat linked with high creativity?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:18 pm

There are many factors beyond autism in a person's life and being; and a number of factors which impact creativity.
One way to find out what might be impacting your creativity is to do the exercises in a book titled "The Artist's Way", by a Julia Cameron.
A retired special ed teacher gave hers to me and it has been helpful. I appreciate the gift.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 4:19 pm

I've been told for years that I'm very creative. And in the Post A Blatant Lie forum two people said I was not creative nor was I funny. But those were blatant lies, so... :)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 5:02 pm

I can relate, ASNerd. I wrote my own stories from the moment I could write. I even had several notebooks with ideas because I had far more ideas for stories than I had time to write. Anything could spark a story for me. I always loved writing stories for school (stories that is, not non-fiction, which I found boring to write (and often read too).). I was always told I was imaginative and creative, and I always got positive feedback on my stories.

Then I turned 20, and it was like a switch was pulled, because I lost my drive to write entirely. For the last 20 years my only writing has been shopping lists, online posts and diary entries. I have only written a handful of stories a decade ago because I had to write them for school. Writing and thinking up stories (often based on daydreams) was so much part of who I was as a kid and teen. I always had something to write about and I always wanted to and felt like it, even needed it. I can still manage to come up with stories from time to time, but I have never found that spark, that strong drive, that I used to have. And I don't understand why it happened so quickly. It wasn't a steady decline, it was close to over night. I didn't lose the interest, I lost the drive.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Destabilised
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2017, 5:06 pm

I'm always lost in a day dream, or writing up fiction on RPing sites, or whacking some graphics out on Photoshop. I'd say I'm pretty creative, but half the time I can't stand what I've done with it by the end of the product, so I scrap it and re-do it until I find myself at least saying 'whatever it looks half decent'.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:36 pm

I am a dancer and choreographer. I get blank when I have to create something that is open ended, no boundaries, make something from nothing. I am not usually the initial creative idea generator. As far as problem solving and finding a creative way to make existing ideas into reality, or use structural constraints into something just right, that is easy.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm

I've been writing since I was eight. I spent most of my childhood even into my teens playing pretend, and when that stopped being socially acceptable I switched to roleplaying, which is the same thing but with rules and numbers so it's okay for teenagers and adults. :lol: I have been less creative the last few years, but I attribute that to anxiety and depression (as others have already mentioned), which has increased proportionately to my decrease in creativity. Since my health has been better my depression has decreased noticeably (though not necessarily the anxiety), so I'm hoping to get back at least some of what I've lost.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"