Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm

I've been writing since I was eight. I spent most of my childhood even into my teens playing pretend, and when that stopped being socially acceptable I switched to roleplaying, which is the same thing but with rules and numbers so it's okay for teenagers and adults. :lol: I have been less creative the last few years, but I attribute that to anxiety and depression (as others have already mentioned), which has increased proportionately to my decrease in creativity. Since my health has been better my depression has decreased noticeably (though not necessarily the anxiety), so I'm hoping to get back at least some of what I've lost.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 6:37 am

Creativity and imagination are my biggest problems. It's very hard to think of what to write most of the time. Writing about myself is easiest because it's the subject I know best. ;)

Uni was hard because I used to have to write about things I knew little about (probably the whole point of uni) and paraphrasing was difficult.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:50 am

I think my creativity has improved a lot over the years. I couldn't do art at all when I was younger, but I took a watercolor class last year and loved it.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2017, 9:27 am

I'm actually very creative, but the anxiety (what could others think? is a friend going to say he doesn't like it? what if I fail?) is crippling me, so I don't have any actual output most of the time.

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2017, 11:28 am

Hmmm... in some areas I'm not very creative (such as my work) but in other areas, such as music, I feel quite creative.

Unless in work, you would count being creative as taking a whole bunch of unoriginal ideas and jamming them together into a new solution that works. :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 5:51 pm

Study: Autism, creativity and divergent thinking may go hand in hand

Quote:
The researchers call it the "paradox of creativity" in autism.

For many years, scientists believed that individuals with the disorder may be at a disadvantage due to the rigidity with which many see the world. But a surprising new study published this month found the opposite -- that people with autistic traits excel in coming up with unusually creative ideas.

The British study, published in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, involved the analysis of data from 312 people who took part in a series of tests on creativity. It turned out that those who had autistic traits offered fewer responses to problems presented, but their solutions were more original and creative than those who did not have autistic traits.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 6:04 pm

Thanks for that. One of my creative abilities is to take found objects or broken things and transform them into new and different things. I love rescuing old abandoned things and turning them into objects of delight. Come to think of it, that's a metaphor perhaps for my approach to assisting with people whose lives have been derailed, on on a one to one basis when they ask for help in person.. creativity takes so many different forms.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2017, 9:48 am

I'm an artist but I wouldn't say I'm especially creative. My imagination isn't the best neither. I have tried working on creativity and it is improving. So like I believe it's something that can be improved upon.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2017, 4:24 am

This was in today's Washington Post. Not specifically related to ASD but many here will see the relation....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 65eefbff40

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2017, 6:53 am

I’m an artist but I don’t consider myself as creative as others, saying that I could be creative and it’s just a negative cognitive bias leading me to believe I’m not. I would like to be more creative.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 10:08 am

I'm pretty creative and imaginative. Sometimes. It comes and goes. Sometimes it has to do with depression but plenty of other times it doesn't.