I'm starting to see drawbacks with my line of work

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

Hi, this thread is going to be more about me ranting than asking for any meaningful advice, although anyone is welcome to weigh in. So, I've been working as a Behaviour Interventionist for about six months now, and while there are a few cons, there are way more pros. I like working with kids, and I finally found something I can use my sociology BA towards. I also despise both formal attire and grunge wear, and am not particularly into standing in one place for eight hours or having to do a lot of stuff really fast. I like neither manual labour or being stuck at a desk doing boring paperwork and stuff for hours. I get to breathe in fresh air periodically instead of just recycled air for the duration of a shift, and I get to enjoy a change of scenery all the time instead of being stuck in the same location. Plus, I get to see the inside of people's houses, and I do fun things in addition to just "work". Oh, and I get paid partial travel time too. Also, being an aspie seems to help a great deal in working with other aspies and auties.

My job is great...except when it isn't. Scheduling can be a nightmare, and I'm now starting to see gaps of three or more hours emerge in my day now that school is back in and times had to be rearranged for virtually every client. Most of all though, it has been quite difficult just trying to get enough clients to fill up my schedule. Plus, my weekly schedule is such a patchwork that it's different every day of the week. I'm making $16/hour but I've been barely surpassing 10 hours a week, and I need 40. I receive disability income but I want to eventually get off of that and make enough steady income on my own merits. I was making steady progress but that has been set back recently.

One client who gave me four hours a week has been paired up with the behaviour consultant due to having behaviour issues that are beyond my station to handle, and I won't be having sessions with him anymore. There's another one I thought I was getting, but his grandmother wants him paired up with a female BI since he's not used to having a guy come and work with him. Both are legit reasons for being taken off the team for those clients, but it's still frustrating, especially in the former case as I spent two months pairing with him. I know I can't get too attached to clients as that's how things go sometimes, but I'm finding it challenging to just let go. It's also frustrating knowing that things can change due to extenuating circumstances which don't have anything to do with how well I've been doing my job.

So, this line of work is supposed to be relatively steady and just needs to be built up over time. I know I can't just throw in the towel after one setback. I'm just feeling a little down and frustrated right now. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read my rant.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 6:12 pm

Yes, it is tough starting out. The teacher next door had to start off with part time work as well and primarily depend on his wife's paycheck. But, I can assume from the big new truck that he is doing much better these days.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 11:03 pm

BTDT wrote:
Yes, it is tough starting out. The teacher next door had to start off with part time work as well and primarily depend on his wife's paycheck. But, I can assume from the big new truck that he is doing much better these days.
That actually does reassure me somewhat. I mean, I'm assuming teachers at least get to work for a new entire day when they do work, but starting off as a substitute must be difficult. I just have to keep at it and believe that things will pick up.