Would you want Aspergers to be classed a disability?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2017, 7:31 am

League_Girl wrote:
babybird wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Supposedly it is classed as such in the UK, yet at the same time you won't get approved for the equivalent of SSI at ASD Level 1 because you would be deemed too high functioning and capable of working.

They don't care if the devil in the details is that just holding that job down might be causing stress through-the-roof and starts to compromise you entire mental and physical health-landscape.

I think this is along the lines of what I was thinking.

So in the UK do they only focus on your diagnoses than on your impairments?

Pretty much the opposite - they don't look at diagnoses very much at all. I think the exception is for people with terminal conditions, which would include Alzheimers.

babybird is exaggerating slightly, but only very slightly! There's a rigid check-box system, and they do everything they can to avoid checking the boxes. There are three thresholds, each for a different benefit. Even the lowest threshold requires quite obvious disability, while the highest is basically "needs 24 hour supervision in order to complete basic tasks" and even then lots of people get denied it.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:16 am

Lots of people do get denied, and I have even read about cases where indeed the person had a physical, terminal illness such as end-stage cancer, and yet was deemed "fit to work" and denied disability benefit! They were dying.

There are cases like this you can google. The entity that assesses these things is well known for trying to deny as many cases as they can get away with. There have been cases in physical illness where its claimed that the assessor even put the outright opposite thing on the form, ie. the person can't lift their arms over their heads and the assessor wrote a note saying "can lift arms over head." Enough of those add up to "can work."

Even when I attended the emergency room for acute severe chest pain which was later found to be severe tearing and inflammation, it's because I said "I HAVE TO" carry my bike up and down 32 stairs (complaining, not bragging!), that the doctor wrote "can carry bike up stairs." Making it sound like I'm fine!

The actual disability assessors I haven't even bothered with; they deny people who need it desperately.

If they do that about people with physical conditions and illness, I hold zero hope for intangible, mental challenges being give compassion by the system. Plus they would only tell you to go and get filled with pharmaceuticals in order to cope with work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:48 am

In the US, unless one's disability is plain to the eye, an applicant for the various disability benefits will, invariably, be denied on the first go.

I'm sure it'll get even worse under Trump. It wasn't even that great under Obama.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:08 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Lots of people do get denied, and I have even read about cases where indeed the person had a physical, terminal illness such as end-stage cancer, and yet was deemed "fit to work" and denied disability benefit! They were dying.

There are cases like this you can google. The entity that assesses these things is well known for trying to deny as many cases as they can get away with. There have been cases in physical illness where its claimed that the assessor even put the outright opposite thing on the form, ie. the person can't lift their arms over their heads and the assessor wrote a note saying "can lift arms over head." Enough of those add up to "can work."

Even when I attended the emergency room for acute severe chest pain which was later found to be severe tearing and inflammation, it's because I said "I HAVE TO" carry my bike up and down 32 stairs (complaining, not bragging!), that the doctor wrote "can carry bike up stairs." Making it sound like I'm fine!

The actual disability assessors I haven't even bothered with; they deny people who need it desperately.

If they do that about people with physical conditions and illness, I hold zero hope for intangible, mental challenges being give compassion by the system. Plus they would only tell you to go and get filled with pharmaceuticals in order to cope with work.

I feel your nation just wants to get rid of the disabled and this is their way of doing it. I know it sounds crazy but that is what I believe because of how insane this all is. They can't possibly be that stupid.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:12 am

I don't think they want to "get rid" of them.

It's more like they don't want to invest the money, which could be used for something else----like someone's luxury yacht or something.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:16 am

A little bit of both what League Girl and kraftie said, yep.

It's a kind of "get rid" and also a lot about cutting costs. It's really harsh. I do think the UK has lost its way in this kind of thing.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 12:46 am

Since Aspergers & Autism can disabled people then I was very lucky back then, cuz when I was a child to my early 20s, I didn't know I had Asperger, but I always felt different, I felt out of place. I didn't have a sensory problem back then, I had poor social skill, I really didn't talk to anyone. At elementary school at play time, I was alone, I went to the swing set by myself, I blamed myself for not making friends, I thought I was weird. I got on SSI in the early 90s, I got on it, cuz of my CP.

I wish people know about Aspergers & Autism. If they knew like my family then they wouldn't get me sooo angry with them, right now, I'm soooo angry with my dad, I haven't talked to him in 2 weeks. I hate when people want to change you. If you in a program for socializing & have Aspergers, the staff don't want to label you as being disabled, if you have soooo many problems like you have trouble walking or you just walk slowly, how can you not be disabled if you can't walk too good or something else wrong with you.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 1:01 am

The_Walrus wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
babybird wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Supposedly it is classed as such in the UK, yet at the same time you won't get approved for the equivalent of SSI at ASD Level 1 because you would be deemed too high functioning and capable of working.

They don't care if the devil in the details is that just holding that job down might be causing stress through-the-roof and starts to compromise you entire mental and physical health-landscape.

I think this is along the lines of what I was thinking.

So in the UK do they only focus on your diagnoses than on your impairments?

Pretty much the opposite - they don't look at diagnoses very much at all. I think the exception is for people with terminal conditions, which would include Alzheimers.

babybird is exaggerating slightly, but only very slightly! There's a rigid check-box system, and they do everything they can to avoid checking the boxes. There are three thresholds, each for a different benefit. Even the lowest threshold requires quite obvious disability, while the highest is basically "needs 24 hour supervision in order to complete basic tasks" and even then lots of people get denied it.

I am prone to embellishing and exaggerating but I only wrote one little sentence there. :lol:

blm042092
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2017, 2:34 am

Honestly I don't think it would help, on paper it sounds nice " certain things and situations I can't or extremely difficult for me to handle please allow me to excuse and or exclude myself" what stresses me out the most isn't that thing (s)he did (n't) do or say, its knowing I'll always be more angry that I got upset than what actually triggered me, also having to choose to allow my self to expess my dismay or deny myself and my true feelings over what people around me expect or preferred of me. I still don't understand why my angry fits are less acceptable then the typical norm :?... :roll:

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:39 am

Chichikov wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the religion of native Britons Druidism or something like that?

The UK is a Christian country.

OMG I was under the happy delusion that this insanity of "the free and democratic West is the product of Christians" was confined to the USA. The UK is a Western democracy where you can believe whatever you want. In London it wouldn't surprise me at all if Christians were a minority and "True Believers" or Fundamentalists next to non existent.

Ah, guess Brexit passing should have told me something. You wouldn't happen to live in rural England, Wales, or Cornwall hmmmmmm?

Go troll someone else.

You do know that at this rate the UK will be majority non white by 2067 right? The US will be too by 2050.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

drwho222 wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the religion of native Britons Druidism or something like that?

The UK is a Christian country.

OMG I was under the happy delusion that this insanity of "the free and democratic West is the product of Christians" was confined to the USA. The UK is a Western democracy where you can believe whatever you want. In London it wouldn't surprise me at all if Christians were a minority and "True Believers" or Fundamentalists next to non existent.

Ah, guess Brexit passing should have told me something. You wouldn't happen to live in rural England, Wales, or Cornwall hmmmmmm?

Go troll someone else.

I'm shocked to discover that rednecks are not limited to the USA and Canada. Oh well. You do know that at this rate the UK will be majority non white by 2067 right? The US will be too by 2050.

While this is totally off topic...

The majority of western countries who accept immigration are headed for non-whiteness anyway. It is what it is. We as a race simply do not have a high enough fertility rate to maintain our population and our priorities have changed over the years (women entering the workforce instead of having multiple children is a huge factor). Where as women from other cultures DO choose to stay home and have several children. There is a reason for immigration and it's being used to supplement falling birth rates in Europe, Canada and even the United States.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

You mean it isn't already considered a disability? My folks constantly tell people first that I have aspergers and then tell them that I'm mentally disabled so as far as I knew it already is a disability.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 12:03 am

I am fine with difference and disability, I like them more than problem and mild even if I think ''difference'' is way too compact a word for the spectrum, it's like slapping a sandcastle on top of a bouncy sandcastle and expecting it to cover the whole. Disability, well I can walk and talk but I'm never going to be able to live like many others who can walk and talk, but there are many who have less opportunity to lessen the lumps in the porridge bowl than we do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:10 am

I find it is a disability to me. I can't just blame the rest of the world for my problems.