Would you want Aspergers to be classed a disability?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 4:41 pm

I would, for one main reason. In the US, we could use the threat of lawsuits under the Americans with Disabilities Act to make our lives less unpleasant. Note I dont say to gain acceptance, because that we will never have. I mean this espically, for example, for those of us who have to work in say food service and get harrassed by management for not smiling and not being artifically cheerful to the customers. Some court ordered mandatory diversity training and sensitivity training at great expense to the NT offenders could remedy this.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

I vote yes because it is a condition that to some extent changes your life for the worse.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 5:15 pm

To my understanding, Aspergers is classified under Autism Spectrum Disorder. With DSM V, it would be lumped with it under an official diagnosis. For example, I have Aspergers. But my official forms say Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1. Witch is protected if I'm correct under ADA.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 5:26 pm

It's a disability in the UK. Not sure the extent to which it would protect you from some of the things you mentioned. If you have a job in the service industry and part of that job is smiling etc then it could be considered that you shouldn't apply for jobs like that if you can't do them.. As it is in the UK employers are required to make "reasonable adjustments", but you still need to do the core of the job.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm

Is it classed as a disability. It is not a personality type like introversion is or highly sensitive person or an empath. Those three I just listed are not classified as disorders because the percentage of how many people there are with it is too high even though they are still the minority.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 6:08 pm

I don't feel, in the US, that there are very many people who have been approved for SSI solely for having an Asperger's/ASD Level One diagnosis.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 7:29 pm

Supposedly it is classed as such in the UK, yet at the same time you won't get approved for the equivalent of SSI at ASD Level 1 because you would be deemed too high functioning and capable of working.

They don't care if the devil in the details is that just holding that job down might be causing stress through-the-roof and starts to compromise you entire mental and physical health-landscape.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 4:26 am

I think what qualifies as a disability is up to a doctor. Like say the difference between being diagnosed with poor eyesight and being dx as legally blind. Something as commonplace as arthritis can be diagnosed as a disability if it's bad enough. It's not always so much what you have, but rather how bady it incapacitates you that matters. Plus there's often comorbids that go with autism that can incapacitate a person badly enough to qualify as a disability.

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2017, 5:30 am

Chichikov wrote:
It's a disability in the UK. Not sure the extent to which it would protect you from some of the things you mentioned. If you have a job in the service industry and part of that job is smiling etc then it could be considered that you shouldn't apply for jobs like that if you can't do them. Muslims often get away with things like that, but we kow tow to them for fear of violent retribution. As it is in the UK employers are required to make "reasonable adjustments", but you still need to do the core of the job.

Wholly unwarranted comments there. Can you show me where Muslims have "got away" with not smiling or "things like that"? There must be loads as it happens often...

As someone who works with Muslim colleagues I am sure they would be interested to hear how our employer "kow tows" to them due to a fear of "violent retribution"

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2017, 5:33 am

In the UK there is no longer a registration as "disabled" the receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP which replaced DLA) is one of the few ways of proving disability day-to-day.

Asperger's certainly dis-ables me and I have always informed employers at the first opportunity, usually in the application form.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 5:57 am

GarTog wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
It's a disability in the UK. Not sure the extent to which it would protect you from some of the things you mentioned. If you have a job in the service industry and part of that job is smiling etc then it could be considered that you shouldn't apply for jobs like that if you can't do them. Muslims often get away with things like that, but we kow tow to them for fear of violent retribution. As it is in the UK employers are required to make "reasonable adjustments", but you still need to do the core of the job.

Wholly unwarranted comments there. Can you show me where Muslims have "got away" with not smiling or "things like that"? There must be loads as it happens often...

As someone who works with Muslim colleagues I am sure they would be interested to hear how our employer "kow tows" to them due to a fear of "violent retribution"

In the UK off the top of my head Muslim employees have refused to serve people alcohol, and a Muslim woman wasn't given a job as a hairdresser as she refused to remove her scarf and the salon said that customers don't want a hairdresser whose hair they can't see themselves. She won a discrimination case. Meanwhile a Christian woman was forced to stop wearing a crucifix at work. We bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims but those protections are not given to native white Christians.

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2017, 6:03 am

Chichikov wrote:
GarTog wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

In the UK off the top of my head Muslim employees have refused to serve people alcohol, and a Muslim woman wasn't given a job as a hairdresser as she refused to remove her scarf and the salon said that customers don't want a hairdresser whose hair they can't see themselves. She won a discrimination case. Meanwhile a Christian woman was forced to stop wearing a crucifix at work. We bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims but those protections are not given to native white Christians.

Thanks for the last three words of your response - saves me ever responding to anything you ever write again

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 6:24 am

GarTog wrote:
Thanks for the last three words of your response - saves me ever responding to anything you ever write again

Sorry, I forgot that nothing triggers left wingers harder than the mention of white Christians. I should have added a trigger warning. At least it was a white woman I was talking about and not a white man...that would have probably tipped you over the edge.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:19 am

Chichikov wrote:
GarTog wrote:

Sorry, I forgot that nothing triggers left wingers harder than the mention of white Christians. I should have added a trigger warning. At least it was a white woman I was talking about and not a white man...that would have probably tipped you over the edge.

Dammit, why did you have to bring up this type of stuff in this thread?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:39 am

Ofcourse I want it classified as a disability. Because that's what it is.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't feel, in the US, that there are very many people who have been approved for SSI solely for having an Asperger's/ASD Level One diagnosis.

I'm on it for that diagnosis but I am on it too for OCD and anxiety. How SSI works is you have to prove how disabled you are, not what diagnosis you have. They go by level of impairment, not by diagnosis. That is what I read in a blog about it by someone who works for the Social Security Administration.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.