[PTSD] Need reassurance before return to trauma house

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

vanillabean
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2017, 2:19 am

I've been wanting to go to my old room where I have lots of belongings stuck - it's been feeling like a huge burden. When I go there, I feel like I'm suffocating from all the energy/emotion attached to all the objects, and can only do so much to protect myself before coping itself becomes a point of stress and form of escape rather than helping.
I intend to sort everything by Keep, Throw Out, Burn (unpleasant journals lol), or Donate.
I would like someone to come with but it would be too uncomfortable. So I figured a good option is to be on skype with someone while I'm there.

But I am afraid of what could go wrong and don't know if this is a stupid idea... and don't trust anyone to skype who won't overwhelm me or abandon me if I encounter a problem and they take it personally or something. There are not many understanding people in my life who I can trust to handle things appropriately when it comes to in-the-moment.

So putting aside that I'm not sure who to ask yet,
Is this a bad idea? What could I do to make this situation feel safer? Are there potentially better options?
Maybe I'm worrying more than I have to but this has been so hard for me to face, I want to make sure I am thinking straight about it and have more of a plan, or possible things to keep in mind. It's been hurting my brain for months.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 8:04 pm

"Keep, Throw Out, Burn, or Donate"
Yeah, I need to do this too.
Especially Throw Out or Donate. :)

So the reassurance I can give you is, you're not alone.
At least I threw out three crappy paintings today.
I destroyed one of the canvases, should have destroyed the other two.
Anyways, there's now a tiny bit more room in my apartment ...
It's a start,
now I just need to do more.

You and I can do this! :D