funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 5:26 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
First song has a 60's feel a second one a 70's soft country rock feel. I do not think that is a bad thing. Today with youtube nothing is really dated because people are exposed to all styles.

To modernize you could add synths and autotune, a little EDM etc but I think you would be miserable doing that.

That is a very astute observation, because I was thinking the same thing! I remember growing up in the 90s and thinking how dated things from the 1980s and 70s sounded.. But now they sound almost current, because of the constant spectrum of styles of music around us on the social media and youtube. You can watch the Monkees and then go to some current stuff like um, I don't know Foster the People, and its as if era of music doesn't have as much boundary anymore because of constant exposure.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
To me the best music is natural sounding and unaffected. Almost like a babbling meadow brook or soft rain taping on a window.

funeralxempire wrote:
One other factor is how certain production methods will come and go out of fashion. 70s and 90s hard rock bands both preferred similar drum tones, but now mainstream music is embracing the gated reverb sound that defines so much of 80s music. Bands imitating 80s thrash metal got big about 10 years ago, but the thrash revival didn't last very long. Certain things come in and out of fashion and if you keep plugging away at what you like you'll probably be happier than if you chase trends - with any luck a trend will find you instead.

I hope I've gotten the quotes sorted out properly...

Anyways, personally out of what I listen to, some sounds like it was recorded with a single microphone (or two mics for stereo) set up in front of a live performance with virtually no work done after recording. Other stuff I listen to couldn't possibly have been made outside of a studio. For the stuff you describe liking to make I think fairly natural and minimalist sounding production is most suited - some music really craves big, 'epic' production (arena rock, a lot of mainstream pop, etc), some music really craves lo-fi and minimalist production (folk, country, punk, 'singer-songwriter' indie-pop, most metal).

Even if you do decide to get really invested into learning about music production, if you don't like current trends ignore them and use that knowledge to better achieve what you're after.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

wariodude128
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

The first song sort of sounded like the song Walking in Memphis. Which I do believe came out in the 90s at some point. Only thing missing was a choir chanting the name of the song near the end. The second one sounded like pretty much any Elton John song where it's just him and a piano. Which is to say I think it's pretty good stuff. As a bit of self promotion/shameless plugging, I've written some songs myself and sang them a cappella. I made them for a fan season I wrote of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. If you want to do some reading, and watch the videos at the appropriate moments, check this out: https://wariodude128.deviantart.com/gal ... 28/MLP-B-B Hope you like it and that you appreciate my thoughts on your music.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

wariodude128 wrote:
The first song sort of sounded like the song Walking in Memphis. Which I do believe came out in the 90s at some point. Only thing missing was a choir chanting the name of the song near the end. The second one sounded like pretty much any Elton John song where it's just him and a piano. Which is to say I think it's pretty good stuff. As a bit of self promotion/shameless plugging, I've written some songs myself and sang them a cappella. I made them for a fan season I wrote of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. If you want to do some reading, and watch the videos at the appropriate moments, check this out: https://wariodude128.deviantart.com/gal ... 28/MLP-B-B Hope you like it and that you appreciate my thoughts on your music.

Yes, that helps. I enjoyed reading the lyrics you posted. I am coming up with some novelty songs, though. I have a song called "Girlfriend for Christmas".