Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

I want to move in to my boyfriend's apartment, which is too far to travel to where I currently work (2-hour journey, 3 buses). I need to get a job in the town where he lives.

The only thing is I struggle with looking for work, applying for jobs online takes bloody ages and I feel it doesn't really get me anywhere. Looking for work in a new city also makes me anxious, and I feel I'm not good enough because the only experience I have is cleaning, which is what I do now, and I want to do something else other than cleaning.

People say "oh don't leave your job until you find another one", but in my circumstances I feel that isn't really the answer. I want to look for work and be available every day of the week, so that I can perhaps take up some courses or work experience, to gain more experience into other fields of work. Also everywhere I've tried to seek some support to help me find a new job only help when you're unemployed.

So I feel that if I did leave my job and relocate to my boyfriend's, I would be able to receive more support to actively seek work without being tied down in a job already, and I could live off some of my savings until I find a job.

But I'm still unsure if it's really the right thing to do. My boss is rather considerate and they do have a policy where if you leave on good terms and things don't work out, they'll offer your old job back. So that could be a back-up if things didn't work out in a new job or whatever.

So do you think it's a good idea to leave my job to allow more time for active job searching in the right area? I've hung on to my job long enough and I feel it's about time I got things moving forward a bit.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

If someone asked you the same question, what would you advise them to do? It's a way of looking at the problem objectively without all the personal fears and doubts. Another approach is to write down all the pro and cons and quite literally add them all up on each side. It's not just quitting the job... it's more like taking a chance on a whole new way of life.
For what it's worth, my feeling is to go for it.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Destabilised
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2017, 5:09 pm

Upping and leaving isn't easy. I'd advise that you get in contact with some potential employers that you're interested in, explain the situation, you're moving to move in with your partner, and that you're interested in working there. Say that you're happy to go through the application process, but you would like them to take into consideration that the distance will be a lot shorter, or put your partner's address on the application. That way, if they're going to offer you the job, you may be able to start as soon as you move.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 7:27 pm

Have a resume made, stop with online applications and only send out resumes. If you have experience cleaning, maybe start a small business in your new town. I bet you could make more money or at least have a more flexible schedule for school. This could be done while working at your old job, maybe start cutting back hours with them. Personally I wouldn't quite working in case things don't work out with the bf, keep yourself employed if possible.